Randy's build thread in BHM

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something that helped me, I loaded a bunch of dry rock in my sump, and I used a big airstone under them,
tha extra aerofication helped to break down the nitrogen / nitrates quicker, it also sent my skimmer into
overtime

OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I don't know how I have missed this thread, but can see you have been hard at it. Welcome to the Ham!

Thank you. Its been a lot of work to get everything to this point. Been at it several months, but its always a good feeling when everything starts coming together.

OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something that helped me, I loaded a bunch of dry rock in my sump, and I used a big airstone under them,
tha extra aerofication helped to break down the nitrogen / nitrates quicker, it also sent my skimmer into
overtime

Thanks for the tip. How big of an air pump did you get? Believe it or not, I still have the air pump that I got with a 10 gallon kit when I was around 7 or 8. I'm assuming that would be too small.

OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give an update on where everything is at with the build.

I have ran into several problems that I am trying to correct. First thing I am not having the best of luck with fish

Bought 2 clown fish. One of them jumped into the overflow and got sucked into a filter sock and died.
Bought a lawnmower blenny. It died in two days.
Bought a sailfin tang. It had Ick. Tried to treat it in the 30 gallon tank, but it didnt make it.
Bought a spotted gobby, it jumped out of the tank.
Bought a Kole tang, it died 2 days ago.

So I'm down to two clown fish and a shrimp and have started to have a problem with cyanobacteria.

IMG_0517.jpg

OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what I have done to try to correct the problem.

1. Added a lot more flow to the tank. Tank now has a turnover rate of approximately 55x
2. Replaced and added more Carbon and GFO in the BRS reactors.
3. Added an additional light to the stock tank.
4. Tinted the left side of the tank. Sunlight was shining on that side. Its not totally blacked out, but it has reduced quite a bit.
5. Replaced the lights on the display tank.
6. Added 50 more pounds of rock to the stock tank. This was more of a knee jerk reaction that most likely has nothing to do with the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add that I made fence out of egg crate and removed the filter socks to try to reduce the suicide rate.

IMG_0515.jpg

OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give another update. The chaetomorpha is probably 10 times the size it was in the last picture. Everything seems to be progressing well.

The new skimmer came in yesterday. It was like Christmas. Took a couple of pics that I wanted to share.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back