Red Sea Reefer 350 (original) stocking

DCJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahoy-hoy

I've just spent the last few weeks reading up on wrasse compatibility and aggression, &c, &c, and I think I've got a solid list for my stocking plan for the above tank, as follows:
-
- 1 molly miller blenny (Scartella cristata)
- 1 orange-stripe prawn goby (& shrimp) (Amblyeleotris randalli)

- 1 royal gramma (gramma loreto)
- 1 bangaii cardinal (pterapogon kauderni)

- 1 mcCosker's flasher wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
- 1 flasher wrasse (p. cyaneus/p. lineopunctatus/p. flavinalis) - one of these
- 1 fairy wrasse (cirrhilabrus ribriventralis)
- 1 halichoeres cosmetus wrasse

- 2 clownfish (some orange & white classic type)

- 1 tang (one of the small Ctenochaetus, I like the blue-eyed Kole, Ctenochaetus binotatus and the Silver Spot, Ctenochaetus truncatus)
-

I've arranged them (and split them) by order of acquiring and introduction to the tank, from least to most aggressive, and in groups (mostly) so they'll be more comfortable in QT. I think QT'ing two fish at a time is managable for me.

I might split the wrasse into two groups instead, the two flashers together, and then the fairy and the halichoeres.

For QT, I'll be doing a methylene blue dip, then the hybrid tank transfer method with hydrogen peroxide, then at some point during the rest of the QT I'll do two courses of dewormer. Don't really want to use copper, and I might have to change my method for the wrasse, maybe?

I did have a flame hawkfish on there, but I scrapped it because I think my CUC already have a few potential predators on that list.

I had 2 bangaii cardinals, but I can't find anywhere that will do an actual pair, and I've read too much about their aggression to even want to bother trying one myself.

That's 11 fish. I think that gives me room for one or two more small additions, if I come across them? I've seen around that 13 fish is average for these tanks, and I don't THINK I've added too many large fish?

I tried to go with low-maint, low aggro, actually obtainable fish, ones that should house in different parts of the tank and shouldn't outcompete each other for food. Going with sand substrate anyway, but especially for the halichoeres.

Can anyone see any glaring obvious clashes in that list?
Has anyone had a similar set up? Anecdotes?
Is there anything anyone would add if they had this set up?

Thank you for your time! :)

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I correct in thinking that the RSR350 is under 100 gallons? Your fish list will ultimately will be limited by your ability to export nutrients and if you can do that effectively you'll be able to handle this list of fish. If your favorite fish are the last few on the list, consider not adding something like the algae blenny, royal gramma, or the single bangaii to insure that you can fit in your favs. That's for you to decide.

I don't know much about wrasse to wrasse compatibility so I cannot speak to that. I would personally skip the blenny for aggression, and the substitute the royal gramma and bangai cardinal for 6-8 small schooling fish like blue green chromis.

OP
OP
DCJ

DCJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@therootcause
Yep! The RSR350 is 4' 75 gal display, 90 gal total volume.

The bangaii is one of my favourites! lol. My mum likes the royal gramma, and my dad likes the clowns. The tank is in the living room so I'd like to have fish in that everyone likes.

The one thing I'm sure on is my wrasse list - I wasn't kidding when I said I've spent weeks doing research on that!

Man, I should have been doing the same with the blenny, I had no idea the molly miller could be so aggressive. I might swap it out for a tailspot blenny - that one's my favourite, and I initially was worried he'd be too small, but I've seen one in larger tanks with no problems, so.

I like the idea of a chromis actually, especially after taking the flame hawkfish out of the list. I've heard a school will eventually whittle itself down - IDK, I'll have to do more research on that.

Thank you for taking the time to comment, and for your input, it was helpful!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back