REEF KINETICS is a potential GAME CHANGER! Auto Water Tester

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What actually happened to Mindstream? This is a very neat product, hopefully I'll be able to grab one.

Mindstream was at MACNA as well. There were three different automated testing machines/ products presented, that I saw at least. I don't think there is any doubt we are close.

After the Kickstarter campaign came up short they started another round of funding from other sources and received their full amount. I spoke to all three presenters and of the three, Mindstream seems the most efficient and affordable option if it finally makes it to production. (That's my non scientific opinion at least). There were upside and downside to all of them but cool none the less.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That also then kind of leads to my next question. Would I be correct in assuming that the unit would require some kind of waste collection that the old tests would be flushed to and the water that was cycled through to flush the system as you say? Or does it have its own internal collection cup that would need to be emptied? And finally, you laid out the costs for the units, but how much would reagent refills run?
There's a pipe that should run to a waste container or drain.
The reagents would vary according to each test. As all other reagents test kits. It depends on the parameter.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mindstream was at MACNA as well. There were three different automated testing machines/ products presented, that I saw at least. I don't think there is any doubt we are close.

After the Kickstarter campaign came up short they started another round of funding from other sources and received their full amount. I spoke to all three presenters and of the three, Mindstream seems the most efficient and affordable option if it finally makes it to production. (That's my non scientific opinion at least). There were upside and downside to all of them but cool none the less.

Great information, thank you very much!

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is the hard one...

Why do you say that? From my understanding, with typical test kits, there's generally less interference with alkalinity than a few of the others such as potassium, calcium and magnesium.

Neil Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say that? From my understanding, with typical test kits, there's generally less interference with alkalinity than a few of the others such as potassium, calcium and magnesium.
Test kits yes, but difficult to automate. There really isn't anything available to hobbyists to continually monitor alkalinity like pH for example. I agree with you on the others, it would appear that real time alk monitoring at a reasonable cost is pretty elusive and tricky though.

Last edited:

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I stopped by the midstream booth as well. That's the kind of testing I want. ;p put it in the tank and get readouts to my phone... hopefully they get it going and it's accurate. Seemed pretty cool but I definitely won't buy one until it's used and tested by other R2R's I've been screwed too many times buying a "new" product. Aka PFO Solaris.... ugh thanks for nothing...

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kits yes, but difficult to automate. There really isn't anything available to hobbyists to continually monitor alkalinity like pH for example. I agree with you on the others, it would appear that real time alk monitoring at a reasonable cost is pretty elusive and tricky though.

But isn't the product in question just automated testing? It's not a monitor from my understanding...

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But isn't the product in question just automated testing? It's not a monitor from my understanding...
You are correct. But in addition to the testing, it does upload your results to cloud and allow you to chart trends, etc.

nc208082

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a fantastic product. I really like the modular design so you can pick and choose what you want. Of course it will be expensive right off the bat but with several companies all coming out with a similar technology the price will come down in time hopefully. Isn't midstream the same thing? It's also just a tester I thought?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their website states they are venture backed. I'm hoping that means this is coming to market in the not so distant future.
Mindsream is/was venture backed too. That just means someone was convinced enough to put money down. That could be $100 honestly and you can say venture backed. Not poo pooing just stating it isn't something to use for judging the validity of a product or company. Saying your venture backed is likely just an effort to look more "real".

I think this is a great concept. Not sure about pricing on it though. It seems like it automates the titration steps and then has an automated read of the color. Red Sea has that without the automated titration already and that's what iCal or whatever that thing is called does too.

I like the idea though and I hope they're successful.

Lifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sounds great until pricing. When these things get down to pricing that "everyday" hobbyists can afford please let me know. . . In other words mass production and distribution and good customer service and warranty. Until then it's all a pipe dream

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All sounds great until pricing. When these things get down to pricing that "everyday" hobbyists can afford please let me know. . . In other words mass production and distribution and good customer service and warranty. Until then it's all a pipe dream
I think the price question is ultimately about what it's worth to each person. Most "hardcore" hobbyists have thousands of dollars invested in livestock, and they don't bat an eye at that. ...but then we (me included) want to complain about spending a few hundred dollars on tools to protect those same inhabitants. In my opinion, something like this that will be extremely helpful in safeguarding our tank inhabitants (coral, fish, and inverts) is well-worth the money. IME most hobbyists don't test nearly as often as they should. This device would enable a hobbyist to test their parameters at the click of a button on their phone or tablet. It's definitely a luxury, but hopefully a luxury that will lead many to more successful reef-keeping. :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back