Reef Radiance led light..OMG..What a light....

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also be interested in seeing a few different par readings from some diff people to compare, thanks for anyone that has and can help!

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To everyone that asked me about par info - I can't find the binder that had my sketches with numbers on it. They were close to the numbers that were posted. I remember maxing the lights out and getting around 500 -600 at about 6-8" of depth. This was with the fixture about 10-11" above the waterline.

All in all though, I really didn't find par to be all that helpful in dialing in these fixtures in.

Let me just say this. If you are using a par meter to dial them in, I wouldn't let your acros get much above 200. Now - this is only for the lumentek as its the only model I have personal experience with.

Last edited:

REEF RADIANCE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you all know we have been pushing the factory that makes LUMENTEK for us to provide an updated controller to rectify the clock settings and the occasional mode change issues that occur in a small percentage of the LUMENTEK series. We just received word that the new controller is done and is available. I asked for 10 to test them before we start sending them out or replacing them in our shop. We should have these in 7-10 days and we will test them thoroughly and once we are convinced that they have corrected both the these problems we will send them out or have lights shipped back to us for upgrade. Since we will be testing these in our office and are not always there I would like two or three people to test them as well in an environment where their LUMENTEK light can be observed throughout the day and the night. if you have a 180 or 240 with a defective controller and feel you are up to changing it out then please email me directly at [email protected]. We want to send out at least two new controllers to at least one person with a timing issue and one with a mode changing issue. So shoot me an email if you would like to help. Thanks! Rick

REEF RADIANCE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Using a PAR meter is a very good idea when placing coral in your tank and in many other ways when growing anything that relies on photosynthesis. I would definitely use a PAR meter if you have access to one when using any of our lights or any LED light.

Rick

REEF RADIANCE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SWK, as we have been promising since we first discovered that a very small percentage of the LUMENTEK lights sold have issues - we have a new and upgraded controller available. I posted this elsewhere but wanted to specifically address this post by you. When we get the new controllers and are convinced that they are working as they should - we will replace the few that are defective and put this behind us. I know you don't have this light anymore - but seem to have a very strong interest in seeing that this gets resolved so I am addressing this to you personally.

Rick

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks it is important as I sold the lights to a friend and fellow local club member and want to make sure he gets taken care of. So thanks again for addressing me in particular. It makes me feel special lol...

Last edited:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To everyone that asked me about par info - I can't find the binder that had my sketches with numbers on it. They were close to the numbers that were posted. I remember maxing the lights out and getting around 500 -600 at about 6-8" of depth. This was with the fixture about 10-11" above the waterline.

All in all though, I really didn't find par to be all that helpful in dialing in these fixtures in.

Let me just say this. If you are using a par meter to dial them in, I wouldn't let your acros get much above 200. Now - this is only for the lumentek as its the only model I have personal experience with.

How can a par meter be fine for one brand of LED's but not for the LumenTek? Could you please explain?

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can a par meter be fine for one brand of LED's but not for the LumenTek? Could you please explain?

Actually - par meters and leds aren't generally the best of friends. Take kessils for example, they don't even recommend using them to dial in their lights. There is a margin of error that varies from led to led. There are many articles on the web about this.

REEF RADIANCE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OTHER GOOD NEWS:

We are just about complete with the 700 gallon - multi-tank - build we started shortly after we moved our office back to California in April of this year. Besides giving us many different tanks ( from a 29 biocube to a 300 gallon Marineland Deep Dimension Display tank ) to do videos of our lights and other products - we will very soon be able to do videos of all these tanks with different models of our lights showing their individual PAR numbers at various depths in many styles of aquariums. This is something we have been working on for a while now and soon we will have this information on our site available to anyone to read and use. When the build is done - we will post pictures and videos here on R2R for all members to check out. I also have to say that I am really glad that I will have more than the 15 gallon reef tank in my office to look at )-: and that I am really excited to have several tanks to not only use as tools to showcase our products - but also to enjoy as a hobbyist - which I am first and foremost.

Keep Reefing!

Rick

Last edited:

Pazzo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you all know we have been pushing the factory that makes LUMENTEK for us to provide an updated controller to rectify the clock settings and the occasional mode change issues that occur in a small percentage of the LUMENTEK series. We just received word that the new controller is done and is available. I asked for 10 to test them before we start sending them out or replacing them in our shop. We should have these in 7-10 days and we will test them thoroughly and once we are convinced that they have corrected both the these problems we will send them out or have lights shipped back to us for upgrade. Since we will be testing these in our office and are not always there I would like two or three people to test them as well in an environment where their LUMENTEK light can be observed throughout the day and the night. if you have a 180 or 240 with a defective controller and feel you are up to changing it out then please email me directly at [email protected]. We want to send out at least two new controllers to at least one person with a timing issue and one with a mode changing issue. So shoot me an email if you would like to help. Thanks!
Rick

Hi Rick,

Will these work in the Lumentek 120 as well?

REEF RADIANCE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
swk,

All a PAR meter does is read Photosynthetically Active Radiation in the band of visible light from 400 to 700 nano-meters. If you are using a Seneye Par Meter - which does not have a cosine corrector fitted - you will get an accurate reading of LED lights (especially the very critical actinic range from 400 - 460 nm )as cosine filters ( like used in the Apogee PAR meter ) are normally fitted to devices that are used to measure the sun so that they can be left in one position and factor the change in the suns angle depending on the time of year (its zenith angle). Since the Seneye was designed for aquariums only - and thus recording a fixed light source - you minimize this deviation and actinity error. So you can get a very useable PAR reading on our lights as long as you are using a PAR meter like the Seneye - as it was designed to measure light over an aquarium - not outside where the sun moves - like its horticultural cousin the Apogee.

Rick

Mustang Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wait is killing me, I ordered a dm-165p from a vendor at CoralCon and while ordering he contacted you guys and said it would ship out on the 10th. I never thought waiting a few weeks would be so stressful. I can't wait to get my hands on this light and play with it and get it mounted over my new frag tank.

icsparks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals started bleaching again with blues on 35 and whites on 20 I don't understand these lights at all. I have had to place most of my LPS under shade and they are on the bottom of a 24" tank.

Running the 240's at 10" above water line. One of my bright green acros has turned light pink. The corals that have been placed on the outer edges of the lights have been doing ok but no growth at all to brag about. Thinking of going with T5's to help with growth and turning the LED''s to 5%.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back