brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pbefore.jpg

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/saving-a-tank-from-briopsis-outbreak.221649/#post-2552718

consistency in approach and outcome~

from poster Kimba, these pics. thanks!

pafter.jpg

image.jpeg

this is the cursory outcome, able to build up aquascape having opted out of algae presence. Able to stop all recurrences going forward.

Retreatment predictions: low, but some patch work isn't a surprise, this had some minor holdfast set-in and we have to attack those anchors just a few times but the point was control over the reef.

the old means: leave algae in tank, it grows, takes over your best corals, while you try and attack it through the water and not bleach out the corals in the process.

new means: kill the algae, opt out of it, then focus on better prevention. as we strive for prevention, its never allowed in our tanks again, so our tanks are algae free even if we never find true prevention. simple.

Last edited:

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, after one year of struggling with GHA I am going to WAR! I will use a 3 front attack so that no spore is left standing!

1. Tank is going fallow for 72 days
2. I will hit them with peroxide starting week 4 (today)
3. After treating with Peroxide I will treat with Fauna Marin DinoX, to kill every last spore [emoji48]

My rock is made of three large ceramic structures, which I will treat one per week. This I just treated the first structure so I am posting the before shots. Enjoy [emoji4]

ebaf2b897c4b01360cf0b919f81417a3.jpg

81bc1f0e2e50cbcc3c9ff30fe17d91a6.jpg

dc6d66d7461bd5520e77006b19d385ed.jpg

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the structure out and sprayed 250ml of H2O2. After some satisfying 7-10min brushed it out and washed with 10L of tank water before putting it back in. Tomorrow I will post some after shots. No bad side effects to report thigh skimmer did go nuts for a while.

Tomorrow I will post the after shots.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here are the 24h after pictures.

83506c9aecaeb2f0f85a05e3b22dd9e9.jpg

9cadfe6cb0f841cb3b4415bc6e1ee6a0.jpg

I believe the pictures do not make justice to just how much better it really is. Next week I'll post more pictures and if things are going according to plan will spray the next structure.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks X 9 for the updates :) that coralline underneath is awesome that rock has some aging to it for sure

Small retreat patches will comply until full reset is earned, in the meantime any po4 reserves in the tank can be dealt with as ramp up preventatives. Your test rock passed the safety test again

We think based on other threads tangs sense the dying algae best, we've had reports of them picking at the dying spots unending after turning white vs ignoring the natural green

Classic dying plant cell response, grazers attack I see them snails on target in your pic VJV. When it's green and natural you think they'd help out. they want it steamed then blanched and then they'll help out ~ the destroyed plant cells are reef catnip

Last edited:

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did the second structure. I'll post some pictures later today. One thing I would like to know is if the gases that are released when the algae is fizzing with peroxide may be harmful. I say this because I start getting nausea and the smell is really intense, like if you stuck your head inside a low tide rock pool...

Than again, it could just be the hangover from last night party [emoji41]

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be olfactory hypersensitive after any decent party which is why you need lots of menudo, right now stat

:)

always err to side of caution when reef substrate work is in question, ie pretend everything is palythoa risk level and regard accordingly-strong venting + aseptic handling technique.

there are some microbiological facts we know about the bubbling:

Bacteria that have an enzyme called catalase cause the bubbling. Some groups have the enzyme, some don't (so no bubbling)

Catalase is among a series of possible enzymes that some living creatures use to offset peroxide, neutralize it, as a standard part of their metabolic processes. humans have their own enzymes to neutralize it

Tufts of algae are self feeding, self trapping micro communities on the reef. Directly killing them independent of tank nutrients will be demonstrated quite effective as the pages build in our thread. I have routinely smelled my bowl during the 35% work my YouTube videos show and smelled nothing, but my organic loading is that of a two week old reef... this is why it didn't smell imo. burning out set in algae tufts is also burning out the organic stores they hold in place, nauseating waste gasses result.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact a lysmata cleaner is posing in that after shot above makes it a home run!

There is no need to rush the final clean with that delicate of a shrimp in tow, and external rock treatments heavily rinsed off are a safe way to kill the rest of the target and preserve nontargets

here is some work linked by our poster Jeepsehawk at R2R

external treatment mode, turnaround time about 1 day:
20151208_071019471_iOS_zps1sbt1xwl.jpg

20151208_071011862_iOS_zpsav8anfx8.jpg

20151211_061750090_iOS_zpsagc4nkgo.jpg

the thread:
http://reef2reef.com/threads/help-id-green-algae-seems-to-be-gha-but-a-beginner.224906/

we used peroxide to curb the very first outbreak in this new tank. now it is ready to go

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that's rather shocking. I can clearly see now, retroactively, how pics like that must have seemed bad to the earlier viewers of before and after pics. earning that outcome pretty fast, without water starving and months of water testing, simply had to have some bad side effect to make it an unadvised practice. Being able to just say "leave" to algae and repeat a series of steps that doesn't recycle the tank takes so many shortcuts it will elicit only skepticism from many, but not from me. im simply ok with not following the rules and continually getting pics like that, they'll rewrite some rules that allow for us later.

Regardless of how much treatment % was peroxide, kent magnesium, fire burning, algaefix, the forced compliance is the reason for the after pics. I would have earned the same with a bic lighter, but you'd have a lot of soot marks to deal with lol (peroxide is biologically much less harsh/very clean agent to work with)

algae is disallowed in this tank, and it can be again if ever needed, one day you'll find the preventative cruise control and not need any.

However you choose to prevent the growback is open for business, and it wont have to work as a remover, to risk overstripping water.

Retreatment variables range between tanks, but a reset has just been earned and featured in your great pics thanks for documenting this really Im impressed.
B

let the record reflect this lysmata cleaner happily posing in all shots, indicating ideal lab procedures/isolation technique from VSV that's tricky to pull off.

Last edited:

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now, a couple of interesting shots

Brandon's favorite:

f16baaef2bfa929d389570ede4617c49.jpg

This acan had a significant amount of non diluted 3% H2O2 direct contact and I left it bubbling for 7min before rinsing with tank water. As you can see, a week later and is doing fine.

a090cc8adc650253bbd4a8ebae54d5b7.jpg

71336f866860011d475aa1635b045daa.jpg

My elegance coral. Never looked so happy!

84b5b48c0fe0b5f5702449b839909b8a.jpg

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sarcophyton was also "accidentally" sprayed [emoji4] for a couple of days it shriveled up but a week later and it is like this

50ae32bea3dca2d5abb665c50ad3e04b.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back