Reefers! What is Your Profession?!

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a beamline scientist at the Advanced Photon Source.
1000002434.jpg

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reality I market things to people based on what you put into Google and what you have been putting into Google.

hannah.c23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Reefers!
We can’t all be Marine Biologists or Oceanographers, our lives take us on different paths sometimes. I’m a Journeyman Millwright of 20 years, basically an industrial mechanic. My super power is the ability to look at mechanical things that fail or need servicing, and figure out how to do so.

This ability and training allows me to diagnose and rectify many mechanical issues with reef tanks. I am also conditioned to perform regular maintenance routines on my tanks as well.

So my question to you is, what is YOUR profession, and how does it help you with reefing? :thinking-face:
I’m a nurse! It helps me decompress!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a handy man. If someone has a problem I fix it. Rebuild fences, paint houses, install toilets, rebuild decks, you name it I've done it.

Before I did this, I ran catering for a company for 7 years. I did about 3.75 million dollars a year in catering. I got bored of it and knew I was good with my hands so did a 180 career path switch.

Oh also I used to play poker for a living for a few years in between those two. Won lots of mone and lost lots of money but ended up on top when I semi-retired from that. Now I just play for fun.

My jobs haven't helped or hurt my in reefing. I think it has just helped keep me centered. Also after a long day o come home and look at my tank and it chills me out. But bc I'm good with my hands I did build my stand and have done a lot of DIY stuff to save money on my setup. So I guess I've saved money from my profession now.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a handy man. If someone has a problem I fix it. Rebuild fences, paint houses, install toilets, rebuild decks, you name it I've done it.

Before I did this, I ran catering for a company for 7 years. I did about 3.75 million dollars a year in catering. I got bored of it and knew I was good with my hands so did a 180 career path switch.

Oh also I used to play poker for a living for a few years in between those two. Won lots of mone and lost lots of money but ended up on top when I semi-retired from that. Now I just play for fun.

My jobs haven't helped or hurt my in reefing. I think it has just helped keep me centered. Also after a long day o come home and look at my tank and it chills me out. But bc I'm good with my hands I did build my stand and have done a lot of DIY stuff to save money on my setup. So I guess I've saved money from my profession now.
Your skills with your hands and a mind for strategy help you out with things that you probably think are common all the time. The kind of skill to build your own stand that actually comes out level and bears a serious amount of weight properly are less common as the number of gallons increases.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skills with your hands and a mind for strategy help you out with things that you probably think are common all the time. The kind of skill to build your own stand that actually comes out level and bears a serious amount of weight properly are less common as the number of gallons increases.
Whew. .. .... luckily it's only a 30gal tank. Haha. Yeah it definitely helped a lot. 400lbs of weight in that tiny of a space. It's important to make sure things are right.

As someone who played a lot of poker it was nothing but strategy and planning. I didn't need a winning hand. I was just playing the player. I needed them to think their hand wasn't a winner.

So everything was thought out and planned before I jumped into anything. Plus I realized the stands stores sell that can hold weight are ugly and the stands that aren't ugly I would question so I said well I can build an ugly stand that holds weight better for less. I need to eventually put doors on my stand and make it prettier but we're 4 years in at this point what's another 4 years???

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a cardiologist as well specializing in advanced heart failure and transplant. Good to see cardiologists with some extra time for this hobby! Agree automation is so important for when we are not around. Also very pleased to see medical students here. I got in this hobby on my psych rotation in med school many years ago. Reefing has kept my sanity during all these years!
Me too. One of my attendings was a big reefer. Was a stress reliever for sure. Many moons ago.

Back