OP
OP
reelsilly

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, the tank is wet. I used water from another tank and a few pieces of live rock from that same tank. Got the bacteria in as well.

We are off and running now.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1405291715.527912.jpg

OP
OP
reelsilly

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally!!! I just went ahead and ordered the media basket from inTank themselves. It was a few dollars more, but it's on the way to me at least.

OP
OP
reelsilly

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so after a little thought, I'm going to shoot for a pretty active or dynamic reef look with this tank. I'm still a bit torn on the critters but here
Is what I'm thinking.

Inverts:
Skunk Cleaners x 2
Blue Leg Hermits x 10
Nassarius Snails x 3
Margarita Snails x 6
Brittle Stars x 50 billion...lol

Fish:
This one is a bit harder...
Blue Dot Jawfish
Clowns x 2 (Gold Flake or B&W)
Maybe a
Leopard Wrasse
Mandarins (I still have all my training boxes for them to eat in)

Coral;
Large frog spawn colony that is being held for me
Chili Pepper Monti
And the rest is tbd.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the goldflakes are so cool but I'm thinking two of them in a smaller tank may get too aggressive toward tank mates. The other fish you have listed sounds like a nice mix. I love the blue spot jawfish - such a neat fish!

OP
OP
reelsilly

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the goldflakes are so cool but I'm thinking two of them in a smaller tank may get too aggressive toward tank mates. The other fish you have listed sounds like a nice mix. I love the blue spot jawfish - such a neat fish!

Yeah, I've thought about that with the maroons, that's why I'm pretty undecided on them. I should be upgrading tanks at some point which they would be going in a 180g or 300g but that's a year or so.

Ahhhhhh decisions, lol

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 29 and love it. Love the blue spotted jawfish. Keep posting updates, following!

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture is too cute
162074d1405067253-reelsillys-reef-imageuploadedbyreef2reef1405067253.511280.jpg

I'm sorry for your loss and your troubles. I look forward to your build and good luck.

OP
OP
reelsilly

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since frogspawn is listed at 15.00 fmv per head, I am soon to be 150.00 in to my budget...lol. My buddy was holding my frogspawn, along with a few other things. The frogspawn will go in first. Maybe within the next several days.

OP
OP
reelsilly

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. I use the poles from driveway markers to hold rock in place. Works great and have been using it for years.

OP
OP
reelsilly

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the blue dot Jawfish. Just waiting to put him in now. Other than that, I'm not really sure. I've been debating a clown couple, but I'm not sure yet.

I've got the 2 skunk cleaners waiting to go in as well. The cleanup crew is in there now doing their job.

It does appear that I have a scarlet red leg that may be a bit lazy and may be taking advantage of my generosity. I hand fed him yesterday just to make me feel better, now I'm thinking he may expect handouts. I'm going to have a sit down conversation with him tonight and tell him he has to work to earn his keep there.

OP
OP
reelsilly

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the frogspawn chilling in its spot. I had to go ahead and put it in because he was moving tanks. It is 10 heads and at FMV (that's listed on the contest rules post) it is $15.00 a head. So there is 150.00 in the tank now.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1406149217.100280.jpg

OP
OP
reelsilly

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have been thinking about my other fish options. The blue dot is ready to go in and he will need some roommates. I went back in time and thought about all the fish I had and their pros and cons. I've got the next fish picked and they will be Banggi Cardinals. I have to sex them to make sure I get a male and female then quarantine. I will then move on to my active fish, which may be a wrasse or clowns. If I do clowns, I will not get my mandarins because I don't want too many fish. I guess I will need some input from everyone as well. I like hearing opinions as there are things that I overlook at times.

As far as coral, I've got to be a bit careful on adding coral that I own already. One of my buddies has been holding them for me and I have way over the amount allotted for this competition. I added my frogspawn, which I guess is valued at $15.00 per head. I have 10 heads so $150.00 (a bit pricey for my area but what's fair is fair).

This leaves me with $350.00 left on coral. I will be adding a Duncan, and some zoas, and I will have to pick what I have left and maybe make a few additional purchases.

Anyway, I am digging this competition because it makes you think. Instead of just dropping stupid money and thoughtlessly throwing coral in your tank to win a prize, it makes you budget, makes you think, and opens the playing field to creativity (all of which we should all be doing anyway).

Hope y'all are enjoying what I have so far. Things will be coming together faster over the next several weeks so hang in there with me!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back