OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice choices on corals.I think i seen you at cherry's yesterday.I was looking around when your club came in.

Yes, you probably did. Were you the gentleman that had brought in those awesome anemones?

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that was me. Having Nems not getting along with each other

lawnman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have tons of pictures. I have always liked to see pictures of other's tanks and coral, so I take a ton of pictures to return the favor. The first 3 pictures I took today, the rest are a bit older.

20121118-DSC_0083.jpg

20121118-DSC_0084.jpg

20121118-DSC_0081.jpg

20121009-DSC_01462.jpg

P
20121009-DSC_01362-2.jpg

20121009-DSC_01402.jpg

20121009-DSC_0138-2.jpg

20121009-DSC_01322.jpg

20121009-DSC_0131.jpg
what is the coral on the left in picture 3?

gotzkill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank i just changed my dimensions on my build from 48x30x22 to 60x30x22 and i cant wait for my tank to looks like yours.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome updates from a spectacular tank!

rb1685

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank. You've got some really beautiful fish too. How's feeding that spotted filefish? I thought they were corallivores.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a small female orange spot filefish to my established male/female pair (which were added on 10/13/2012 from diver's den) late last week. She had been at a LFS for a while and had been eating and had very nice body mass.
Here is a less then steller cell phone video of the trio a minute after I added her to the tank

[video=youtube_share;-9Z8gvzNI-U]http://youtu.be/-9Z8gvzNI-U[/video]

After the intial investigation the established female kinda went on a jeoulous rampage, chasing the new female as well as going after the established male as if to say "you better not be looking at her!" At points it even looked as if the male tried to break things up and distract the established female.
After about 36 hours things had settled down. The new female kinda keeps to herself while the pair cruises around the tank together.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new filefish and on the fish your daughter brought you, both are very cool! haha

:) It put a smile on my face when she said she was going to the fish store to get some fish. Gotta love it when the kids show interest in the hobby.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past couple of months several corals in my tank have been in decline. A few receded, a few lost color and one or two even died. Just about any new acro I added died within 2 weeks. This is the first time I have faced such a decline since I started in the hobby a few years ago, and that includes my first tank (93 cube).

Most hard hit had been the sps with complete loss of color in my orange monti cap (when those stop growing you know there is something is seriously wrong!) Most of my LPS have been fine.

I tested just about every parameter (except for Nitrates because those had never been a problem, and yes I know I am a fool for not testing them). Did 10 gallon water changes about twice a week for about a month. (system volume is about 200 gallons) Things still did not look great.

Finally I tested Nitrates just for the heck of it and was shocked how fast the test turned pink! Turns out they were somewhere in the neighborhood of 50ppm!

So, I did several things to clean up the tank.

I vacuumed out my sump for the first time in a long time. It was not terribly dirty but I did get some gunk out.

My refugium had become a cramped block of macroalgae. I took out 75% of it and also added a couple pumps to keep the water flowing, I think it had become too stagnant and was a considerable source of my nitrate problem.

I started to dose vodka in addition to running my biopellets.

I also did larger water changes. I really don’t have a great place in my house to setup a large water mixing station, but I bit the bullet and plopped a 55 gallon brute trash can right in front of the tank in my family room.

In the past 3 weeks I have done 4, 50 gallon water changes. Almost immediately after the second water change things were noticeably better. Corals that I had thought were dead started to color up again.

After 3 weeks my nitrates are now under 5ppm. I now plan to do 50 gallon water changes every two weeks and may occasionally do them once a week from time to time.

During this whole process the fish continue to do well and seem as happy as ever.

Prime Example of a piece that lost all of its color, receded and I wrote off as dead, but then started to recover quickly once I did the large water changes.

A hammer with 3 different colors and a few different patterns in it

Multi-pattern hammer

Rock Flower anemone I picked up on a business trip to Columbus

A very cool multi-color favia that really glows under royal blue leds/actinics

Orange hammer

Jack-o-lantern

Anti-Venom Favia that is really starting to grow and sprout new polyps

Sour Cherry 2.0, tough to get a picture because it sits back in the dark, but I know someone would like to see a picture of it now. Still doesn’t have its best color but it is growing and now has 4 eyes.

FTS

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 72 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.7%
Back