Retrofit crystal36s sump with roller filter ?

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have searched everywhere but couldn’t find the answer.
Is it possible, even with some diy changes to the sump, to retrofit a trigger systems crystal36S sump with a filter roller system?
I would like to keep the two separate drains attached.
If rollers can’t take two 1” drains would it be right to join them with a wye and feed roller ?
Has anybody done an upgrade like this!
The sump has been around for many years.
I appreciate drawings, pictures anything which points me in the right direction.

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The project is still in planning phase. I have a thread describing where i am with rebuilding "old faithful" tank from 2005.
I took measurements, made drawings and looked for rollers which could fit. Easiest fit will be if you take the two drains and plumb them into a 1.5" pipe. (pic)
The rollers I identified so far which could work are:
Aquamaxx - AF1
ReefMat 1200
Theiling Rollermat
Clarisea SK-5000 Gen 3
There are probably more out there, all depends on how much you want to spend and the clearance under your DT.
Attached is what i think works as routing the drains together into one pipe as Roller input with the least loss.

Also some scribbles about the Crys36S sump and possibly adding a drain compartment with some plexiglas ... that idea didn't go anywhere yet.

IMG_3379.jpeg IMG_3378.jpeg IMG_3377.jpeg IMG_3376.jpeg
IMG_3380.jpeg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back