Rhino's 80 Gallon Shallow Rimless Build

slip66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. When I upgrade next I'm gonna take a long look at this exact deep blue tank. I have the same 2 leds in a 36 inch shallow. It looks like you have a nice spread with the 360WE's.

I ended up buying the controller and have been happy with it. So if you're on the fence I would recommend it. I ran them at first via reefkeeper but, it was just way easier using the kessil controller. It's not wireless and the cords a little short but manageable.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. When I upgrade next I'm gonna take a long look at this exact deep blue tank. I have the same 2 leds in a 36 inch shallow. It looks like you have a nice spread with the 360WE's.

What intensity are you running at peak? I ended up buying the controller and have been happy with it. So if you're on the fence I would recommend it. I ran them at first via reefkeeper but, it was just way easier using the kessil controller. It's not wireless and the cords a little short but manageable.

Right now I run everything on about 50 percent. The Kessil controller is on my radar. I will be picking it up soon for a better lighting schedule.

slip66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol just went back and read the answer. Reading comprehension -1.

It's nice as it allows for that sweet actinic period.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol just went back and read the answer. Reading comprehension -1.

It's nice as it allows for that sweet actinic period.

Yeah I have a reef keeper lite right now but I want the ability to ramp up and down the colors and the interface on the Kessil looks super nice.

Gooburz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my next and final tank upgrade from my current 40 breeder. Fell in love with the Deep Blue 80 Breeder and your tank is an inspiration for mine. Just debating on if I want to drill it myself or go with their "reef ready" one. How do you like job they did with the bulkhead and drilling for it? How much flow does it handle and what do you have it set at? Can you post a few pics of your sump when you get a chance?

Tank looks amazing and keep the pics coming!

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my next and final tank upgrade from my current 40 breeder. Fell in love with the Deep Blue 80 Breeder and your tank is an inspiration for mine. Just debating on if I want to drill it myself or go with their "reef ready" one. How do you like job they did with the bulkhead and drilling for it? How much flow does it handle and what do you have it set at? Can you post a few pics of your sump when you get a chance?

Tank looks amazing and keep the pics coming!

I am very happy with the reef ready version. It is a very quite tank. Only thing I ever hear is the protein skimmer. Fit and finish on the overflow is good. With that being said it is fairly large. I don't regret getting the reef ready version. In fact if I did it over again I would buy the same one. I will post up some sump pics tonight.

Gooburz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy with the reef ready version. It is a very quite tank. Only thing I ever hear is the protein skimmer. Fit and finish on the overflow is good. With that being said it is fairly large. I don't regret getting the reef ready version. In fact if I did it over again I would buy the same one. I will post up some sump pics tonight.

Forgot to ask what is the flow rate of the overflow that comes with the tank? And can't wait to see the pics!

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1437447570.233949.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1437447578.206466.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1437447584.985263.jpg

Gooburz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly the same design I'm looking to do for my sump, no baffles at all, going to do a large DIY plastic grate for a big ball of Chaeto and some live rock and then a small area for frags. Going to try to do a deeper sump/fuge though, maybe about 25 gallons or so water volume.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the no baffles so far. Gives me plenty of room. I am also going to do a grate for my chaeto eventually. It's in my to do list lol. I have been slowly clearing the frags out to make some more room. I also want to raise the water level in the sump soon to give the system more water volume.

Gooburz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the no baffles so far. Gives me plenty of room. I am also going to do a grate for my chaeto eventually. It's in my to do list lol. I have been slowly clearing the frags out to make some more room. I also want to raise the water level in the sump soon to give the system more water volume.

That's it! I can't look at these 80 breeders anymore, it's driven me to the point of I'm doing one once I get home, can't handle waiting hahaha. Figure by the time I buy another 40 breeder, buy the overflow kit I could just spend the extra $100 and get the 80 Breeder that is already drilled and ready to go. Your tank has given me a lot of good ideas for setup. Keep the pics coming with your tank, love it!

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's it! I can't look at these 80 breeders anymore, it's driven me to the point of I'm doing one once I get home, can't handle waiting hahaha. Figure by the time I buy another 40 breeder, buy the overflow kit I could just spend the extra $100 and get the 80 Breeder that is already drilled and ready to go. Your tank has given me a lot of good ideas for setup. Keep the pics coming with your tank, love it!

Hahaha thanks. It's hard to beat the dimensions of these tanks. Make sure you have a build thread for the new tank!

Gooburz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha thanks. It's hard to beat the dimensions of these tanks. Make sure you have a build thread for the new tank!

I will once I'm back home, not to hog your forum but I'd like you advice for what I'm going to do so I'll post below.

Exact tank you'll be using with 40 breeder no baffels, return pump will be a Jebao 3000 pushing about 500GPH for the retun.
3 Hydor pumps in the tank pushing 700gph each, thinking 1 at each end and 1 in the middle to make sure no dead spots.
200watt Jager heater in sump, Bubble Mag Curve 5 skimmer and DIY box in sump for large chaeto growout and a little live rock with DIY frag grow out rack.
Lighting: So right now I have a Coral Compulsion CC120-P that covers my 40 breeder with no problems and it maxes at 75% during peek hours. I want to use that light along with 2 Full Spectrum PAR38's that I hvae to cover the dead spots in the tank. I think this will light the tank with no issues until I can save up and buy 2 Kessil A360we's. What are your thoughts on this?
Tank stand: Going with 2x6's for everything, very similar to your build, especially with the down spout for the overflow box.

So what do you think overall for it?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back