OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will once I'm back home, not to hog your forum but I'd like you advice for what I'm going to do so I'll post below.

Exact tank you'll be using with 40 breeder no baffels, return pump will be a Jebao 3000 pushing about 500GPH for the retun.
3 Hydor pumps in the tank pushing 700gph each, thinking 1 at each end and 1 in the middle to make sure no dead spots.
200watt Jager heater in sump, Bubble Mag Curve 5 skimmer and DIY box in sump for large chaeto growout and a little live rock with DIY frag grow out rack.
Lighting: So right now I have a Coral Compulsion CC120-P that covers my 40 breeder with no problems and it maxes at 75% during peek hours. I want to use that light along with 2 Full Spectrum PAR38's that I hvae to cover the dead spots in the tank. I think this will light the tank with no issues until I can save up and buy 2 Kessil A360we's. What are your thoughts on this?
Tank stand: Going with 2x6's for everything, very similar to your build, especially with the down spout for the overflow box.

So what do you think overall for it?

I think it will work great. I wanted to do a Jebao return pump but caught a really good deal on the mag drive. And honestly it is super quite. The only thing we ever really hear is the skimmer and my couch is right next to the tank.

Lights: I think that is a great idea. You can always reuse the par38 for the chaeto later on or another tank. The kessils are awesome, as is their customer service. I will go into detail about that later today.

Stand: another great choice. The 2x6 stand is really heavy but I wanted the piece of mind.

It looks like you have a great plan put together. I am excited to see yours come together. This has been such a fun tank so far and I still have s ways to go.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my update for the last couple of weeks.

Lights: I walked into the living room one night and noticed one side of the tank was blue looking and the other was more white. I was headed out of the house thigh so I figured I would deal with it when I got home. I come home, everything is the same now. I initially chocked it up that I just imagined it. Two days later I notice it again, I had adjusted the height earlier that day so I assumed I bumped the knob but no such luck. I sent Kessil an email since it was coming up on midnight. They responded promptly the next day. I sent in some pics, when I did I noticed what appeared to be a whole row of LEDs out. (See below) I called them up and emailed the pics. They said no worries we are going to send you two of the 360's just mail us back your 350's. So that was pretty sweet.

The other major issue we have had is coming back from a two day trip to find out toilet leaked from the tank and flooded out bathroom floor and some hardwood. Seems like everything is recovering well from that so far.

Got a yellow tang on hold right now. My LFS quarantines all their fish so just waiting a few more days for it to be ready for pickup.

Gooburz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so bad butt that Kessil upgraded you to the A360's! What do you mean the Toilet leaked from the tank?.....Lost on that one. Of course if I find a better deal than the Jebao I will go with it like you did with the mag drive. For the lighting I'll be dying to get the Kessils for sure and for the time being I have a eco-pico 3 strip LED for the fuge which will be great for the Chaeto for the time being. I'm sure the stand weighs a bit but I'm not worried about that like you said better safe than sorry, I don't know how some people are using the stands they are with these large reefs and they don't collapse.

Look forward to more pics of the tank as it comes along, good luck with the yellow tang. They are VERY skittish once you first get them into the tank. I'd suggest keeping the lights off or just moon lighting for the first day to really let him settle in. Then slowly ramp them back up.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so bad *** that Kessil upgraded you to the A360's! What do you mean the Toilet leaked from the tank?.....Lost on that one. Of course if I find a better deal than the Jebao I will go with it like you did with the mag drive. For the lighting I'll be dying to get the Kessils for sure and for the time being I have a eco-pico 3 strip LED for the fuge which will be great for the Chaeto for the time being. I'm sure the stand weighs a bit but I'm not worried about that like you said better safe than sorry, I don't know how some people are using the stands they are with these large reefs and they don't collapse.

Look forward to more pics of the tank as it comes along, good luck with the yellow tang. They are VERY skittish once you first get them into the tank. I'd suggest keeping the lights off or just moon lighting for the first day to really let him settle in. Then slowly ramp them back up.

Thanks for the heads up on the tang. I am going to get him tomorrow. I am pretty pumped.

kchapmanjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my next and final tank upgrade from my current 40 breeder. Fell in love with the Deep Blue 80 Breeder and your tank is an inspiration for mine. Just debating on if I want to drill it myself or go with their "reef ready" one. How do you like job they did with the bulkhead and drilling for it? How much flow does it handle and what do you have it set at? Can you post a few pics of your sump when you get a chance?

Tank looks amazing and keep the pics coming!
Haha, everybody always says that about their next upgrade. I did about my 90... Now I'm looking into a 150+ tank. One crazy thing about this lifestyle, (because let's be honest, it's well beyond a "hobby"), is that our aquariums are always going to be too small. ;)

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, everybody always says that about their next upgrade. I did about my 90... Now I'm looking into a 150+ tank. One crazy thing about this lifestyle, (because let's be honest, it's well beyond a "hobby"), is that our aquariums are always going to be too small. ;)
No truer words have ever been spoken.

kchapmanjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact, if I was smart, (and my better half would sign off on it), I would just skip the next two upgrades and go straight to 300 gallons... But that would be quite the expenditure right now.

Gooburz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes I would love a custom 300 breeder tank, that would be truly unreal but I don't have that kind of money. Maybe 10 years down the road if I'm still in this hobby and can afford to drop another several grand. I didn't think I would be able to do this 80 Breeder for several years but deployment has been good for saving money to me and I'm going to take advantage of it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back