Ribbon Eel Compatibility

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would love to get a couple ribbon eels and wanted to get everyone’s take on the changes of success.

I know they are fang tooth eels, would they be ok with firefish and clownfish plus a mandarin goby? Everything else in the tank is bigger so I’m assuming it would be ok. Anthias, tangs, angels, Midas Blenny, hawkfish, banded snake eel.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I would love to get a couple ribbon eels and wanted to get everyone’s take on the changes of success.

I know they are fang tooth eels, would they be ok with firefish and clownfish plus a mandarin goby? Everything else in the tank is bigger so I’m assuming it would be ok. Anthias, tangs, angels, Midas Blenny, hawkfish, banded snake eel.
I've kept a fire goby for nearly 2 years with mine. They are sadly on the menu. My ribbon never ate the fire goby, the goby eventually passed maybe due to old age or tank neglect. Never hsd ribbons go for clown fish. Mandarin gobies have thick slim coats predators hate.

Circled firefish, kind of

20240415_034047.jpg

20221102_114801.jpg

Last edited:

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mine was housed in a predator reef with some boisterous wrasses, a tang, triggers, a Falco hawk, a pair of clowns, starry blenny, anthias, and copperband. Because of this, I personally cannot keep peaceful fish in my tank, as they will be bullied to death very quickly or caused to jump.
@Goaway and @lion king are where I got most of my info. Seeing as live feeders were needed to get mine to eat, I wouldn't add something that so closely resembles the foods I used to entice her to eat.
I don't doubt that it can be done.
You shouldn't have a problem with the clowns, but beware of any smaller fish that look like snacks.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a fire goby for nearly 2 years with mine. They are sadly on the menu. My ribbon never ate the fire goby, the goby eventually passed maybe due to old age or tank neglect. Never hsd ribbons go for clown fish. Mandarin gobies have thick slim coats predators hate.

Circled firefish, kind of

20240415_034047.jpg

20221102_114801.jpg
Got it so I’m risking the firefish but not the mandarin?

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was housed in a predator reef with some boisterous wrasses, a tang, triggers, a Falco hawk, a pair of clowns, starry blenny, anthias, and copperband. Because of this, I personally cannot keep peaceful fish in my tank, as they will be bullied to death very quickly or caused to jump.
@Goaway and @lion king are where I got most of my info. Seeing as live feeders were needed to get mine to eat, I wouldn't add something that so closely resembles the foods I used to entice her to eat.
I don't doubt that it can be done.
You shouldn't have a problem with the clowns, but beware of any smaller fish that look like snacks.
Got it thanks so much so will the Blenny be ok?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jeweled moray thats a fang tooth and he did eat my midas blenny and two wrasses. Not a ribbon eel obviously but I would lean to say no go with those little fish

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got it thanks!
From my past years of keeping 3 total.
3310-Red-Moon-Neon-Platy-2.jpg
X15-Pineapple-Candy-Swordtail-1-2-Each-Freshwater-Fish-Freshwater-Fish-Package_ba181c97-ac53-4...jpg

Shiny red is an easy trigger meal.
I have added 2 yellow wrasse at the size of half an inch. I've added multiple small fish, bite sized. My ribbon has never went after them. Always gave a sniff and passed on by.

Mandarin gobies are stinky to most predators. I believe scorpion fish are mostly known to eat them.
20220721_090741.jpg
20230415_171931.jpg

My biggest concern with ribbon eels remains the majority reported not eating.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of your assistance, is it best to keep several at the same time? I feel like I’ve read that somewhere. I also have a banded snake eel that shouldn’t be an issue correct?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t bought him yet as I’m battling ich currently. I can get any size from Dr Reef.
Oh, i thought you said you had a midas blenny.
Thanks for all of your assistance, is it best to keep several at the same time? I feel like I’ve read that somewhere. I also have a banded snake eel that shouldn’t be an issue correct?
I only kept 1 at a time. I saw one thread where a guy was keeping 3, and 2 if them may have bullied the 3rd to suicide. I'll find it.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, i thought you said you had a midas blenny.

I only kept 1 at a time. I saw one thread where a guy was keeping 3, and 2 if them may have bullied the 3rd to suicide. I'll find it.
Ok so I suppose one is the way to go and I’ll buy a large Midas Blenny.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back