Rick's 135 gallon tank upgrade

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, where'd you get the parts/plans to do this, I might try it!
I had most of the parts laying around the house from past projects. There is a slip in adapter, a few short pieces of PVC, two elbows and a gate valve. That's it. No plan. It "should" work, but I have not got this system running yet. I turned the skimmer around so you could get a little better look in this pic.

EuroMod_zps0478d8f7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Auhiwayman

Auhiwayman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for turning it around so I could see it better. It looks pretty easy. I think I can get most of the parts from Home Depot or Lowes except the gate valve. I haven't seen them in there. Might need to try it. The skimmer seems to be working pretty good but it would be easier to adjust the water level and the splashing in the sump.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for turning it around so I could see it better. It looks pretty easy. I think I can get most of the parts from Home Depot or Lowes except the gate valve. I haven't seen them in there. Might need to try it. The skimmer seems to be working pretty good but it would be easier to adjust the water level and the splashing in the sump.
You can probably get the gate valve from Bulk Reef Supply, if your local hardware store doesn't carry them. If you look, I would think you could find them locally. I think the adapter is a 1½" to 1" (not certain without pulling it out) and the fittings and gate valve are 1".

It is very simple to make. Let me know if it works for you. I am a ways out on my project. Currently overhauling my 140. :)

OP
OP
Auhiwayman

Auhiwayman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update on this upgrade. I started a few days before this weekend transferring some live rock over to the new tank. Some of it had some soft corals on it. I acclimated all of them using the water in the new tank. Then Saturday morning I moved the rest of it over acclimating all pieces of rocks and corals. After everything was out of the 90 gallon and into buckets, I could then catch the fish and put them in with the rocks to keep the stress down. It took most of the day as I had to aqua scape the rest of the new tank with the live rock from the 90 gallon as I wanted to get that done before putting the fish in it. The good news was that I didn't lose a single fish or coral. The only thing unaccounted for was the Randal pistol shrimp but he could have been hiding in the rock. I won't know about whether he made it or not for probably a month or so. After doing this I still had to break down the 90 gallon and then on Sunday take it to my brother's house and set it up for him. It was a lot of work but all worth it. Here's some crappy pictures I took of the new tank cause I was tired. I'll post some better ones in a few days.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Auhiwayman

Auhiwayman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's some new pictures of the tank. Not the best (taken with my iPhone) but better than the ones above.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Trying to figure out my lighting percentage on the LED's. I got a Reef Radiance Pro Fusion 360. It's a full spectrum with 360 watts so I don't want to bleach anything. Anyone else got these lights?

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you were having problems with noise, did you use a particular mouse pad or will anyone do? Thanks

OP
OP
Auhiwayman

Auhiwayman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up just going with an internal submersable pump. I went with a SICCE Syncra silent 5. Its a lot quieter than the external little giant pump. Im much happier now as the circulation pumps are louder than this return pump.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back