FOWLR Stocking 120 Gallon

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 120 gallon I just setup with with a sump that i was planning on using as a cichlid tank but I have a 135 gallon reef tank and now I'm thinking maybe I just use the 120 as a FOWLR tank.

What would be some stocking options with this 4x2 setup ?

So far im thinking:

Blue Spot Puffer
Yellow Corris Wrasse
Foxface
Marine Betta
Dwarf Lion Fish (not sure if compatible with other fish)
Maybe a 6+ damsels for some color (azure or yellow tails) typically the non satanspawn fish
Gold Stripe Maroon Clownfish pair ??

Thanks
Bill

blue600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything wrong with that, but I'm no expert. Just got back into the hobby a year ago after a 30 year gap.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 120 gallon I just setup with with a sump that i was planning on using as a cichlid tank but I have a 135 gallon reef tank and now I'm thinking maybe I just use the 120 as a FOWLR tank.

So far im thinking:

Blue Spot Puffer
Yellow Corris Wrasse
Foxface
Marine Betta
Maybe a 6+ damsels for some color (azure or yellow tails) typically the non satanspawn fish

Thanks
Bill
I am not 100% on this, but I do believe that all lionfish are off limits in a fowler tank. Also azure damsels can be rather nasty little fish. They are beautiful, but mean.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lion fish might eat the damsels, I *think the azure are on the more peaceful side for damsels. I had one a while back beautiful color was peaceful for me. ...but did not have that tank long maybe less than 2 years. IDK

those clowns and get mean I would skip personally. but that just me.

also consider a tank of wrasses, flashers, fairy etc. but it is nice to have those non reef safe fish. most grow to big for that tank but the dwarfs angels are nice.

enjoy that tank.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So far im thinking:

Blue Spot Puffer
Yellow Corris Wrasse
Foxface
Marine Betta

Thanks
Bill
List looks fine. Ive had a dwarf fuzzy lion for over a year, she doesnt mess with anything in the tank. Marine bettas are amazing fish! Just very shy and they need caves. They are nocturnal so you wont see much of them in the day. But boy are they stunning when they come out, at least mine is!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe pick an anthias harem instead of the damsels as they are more peaceful and not as likely to pick each other off as a lot of damsels would!

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lion fish might eat the damsels, I *think the azure are on the more peaceful side for damsels. I had one a while back beautiful color was peaceful for me. ...but did not have that tank long maybe less than 2 years. IDK

those clowns and get mean I would skip personally. but that just me.

also consider a tank of wrasses, flashers, fairy etc. but it is nice to have those non reef safe fish. most grow to big for that tank but the dwarfs angels are nice.

enjoy that tank.
yeah i know the lions munch on damsels in the wild and i think im going to cycle the tank with turbo start and (probably the damsels) so survival of the fittest with them ( could always pick up those 4 bar (line) ones that get about 3 inches they may be big enough to survive

Also 100% skipping the clowns, maybe just maybe a tomato clown but prob not

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats funny you said that i was just thinking about a small group maybe 2-3 heniochus
Those will get too large for a 4'x2' system. Stick with one or 2 of the smaller Chaetodon like C. xanthurus, C. punctatofasciatus, C. kleini, C. pelewensis, and C. citrinellus. And don't do more than one of the same species. Prognathodes aculeatus would also be a good choice.

A dwarf lion should also do ok, just might get the fins chewed by the puffer so watch out for that and pull it if necessary. If you start with a smaller one, most damsels should do just fine with it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back