Tester controlled phosphate reactors

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot more people might do automated phosphate dosing (with safeguards lol) with the availability of automated phosphate testing coming soon (Trident NP and Hydros Maven). But I'm thinking that controller controlled phosphate reactors with one of these testers will also be a match made in heaven. I plan on giving that a try so I set up a BRS reactor with a dedicated pump instead of installing it on a manifold. Should be a fairly simple matter to program these to run only when your phosphates are too high (at a slow enough rate to not strip them down to 0 before the next test cycle, etc). Being able to see a history of how long it ran will also be a good indicator of what changes you might need to make in your feeding/cleaning/dosing/etc. to keep it in range naturally without intervention.

Also, it would really be nice if these controllers would let you dynamically change the test interval based on user defined criteria like previous test results. So say your phosphates run too high - instead of testing your regular scheduled test once a day, it would be nice to be able to change it to test more times a day until some criteria is met (elapsed time or some subsequent test result value, etc).

Anybody else plan to run a phosphate reactor like this once these testers are available?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say phosphate reactor, do you mean a cannister of some kind containing GFO? How would you prevent the thing from going anaerobic?

OP
OP
J

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...gfo in a canister of some sort. You can easily program a pump to cycle a small amount of water through it periodically regardless of level. That would have minimal impact on removal just to keep the water fresh.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot more people might do automated phosphate dosing (with safeguards lol) with the availability of automated phosphate testing coming soon (Trident NP and Hydros Maven). But I'm thinking that controller controlled phosphate reactors with one of these testers will also be a match made in heaven. I plan on giving that a try so I set up a BRS reactor with a dedicated pump instead of installing it on a manifold. Should be a fairly simple matter to program these to run only when your phosphates are too high (at a slow enough rate to not strip them down to 0 before the next test cycle, etc). Being able to see a history of how long it ran will also be a good indicator of what changes you might need to make in your feeding/cleaning/dosing/etc. to keep it in range naturally without intervention.

Also, it would really be nice if these controllers would let you dynamically change the test interval based on user defined criteria like previous test results. So say your phosphates run too high - instead of testing your regular scheduled test once a day, it would be nice to be able to change it to test more times a day until some criteria is met (elapsed time or some subsequent test result value, etc).

Anybody else plan to run a phosphate reactor like this once these testers are available?
I do not know about the Maven since I have seen or used one yet but the Hydros X10 iV for test alkalinity lets you set a value that is the reading has a difference from the last reading of more than you have set it will start a retest. I also setup an output that has a safe range for the alkalinity between 7 and 9.1. If it get out of that range either way then something is wrong and it stops the scheduled dosing as long as the readings are out of range. ai would rather go without dosing than to overdose due to the automated testing having an issue that causes a low or high reading that is not accurate. Under normal circumstances in my tank the alkalinity should never get to the low point or get to the high point. If it is out of the range of 7.60 to 9.26 I will get alerts anyway.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back