Rookie Mistake: What were some mistakes you made when you were "new" to the hobby.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things... Lack of patience and taking advice from too many people. Started my first reef when I was 16. See a problem, find advice do it. Everything I did was counter to fostering stability. I remember seeing a problem and reacting to it immediately. If it didn't go away try something else a few days later. Many I killed a lot of corals as a kid!

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listening to a lfs. I lost about 70 percent of my corals because of them.
This by far!!! When I first started I had a 29 gal I was setting up and had no idea what I was doing. Stopped in a lfs who must have seen me coming a mile away.....walked out $500 lighter with 30lbs of dry rock he told me was "coated with special bacteria that activates in water", I don't remember what substrate it was, sold me a bunch of dip strip tests and said that was all I needed for testing, water to fill the tank, and told me to come back the next day for fish.....what a mess that turned out to be :(
Since finding this community and restarting with a 75 gal things have been much better!!

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listening to the reefers that say you need a bunch of fancy high-tech-whiz-bang-gizmos to be successful.
I was successful 30 years ago with none of that stuff and decided I'm going the K.I.S.S. route. Possibly add some convenience related items as I go.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back