What is One Mistake You Will Never Make Again?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like all of us have made at least one, if not a couple, mistakes while in the hobby. Maybe we bought something for our tank, but it didn't turn out how we thought it would, or maybe we added too much of something and it crashed the tank. Just curious to hear what everyone's "I won't do that again" mistakes are.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding things to my rocks that I'm not sure about long term
+1

green pocillopora added a few years back that bailed out larvae all over the system and took over.

nice looking coral if controlled though. problem is i don't think it can be

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like all of us have made at least one, if not a couple, mistakes while in the hobby. Maybe we bought something for our tank, but it didn't turn out how we thought it would, or maybe we added too much of something and it crashed the tank. Just curious to hear what everyone's "I won't do that again" mistakes are.
Leaving my rodi unit on for half an hour until i realized it leaked causing it to leak through the ceiling of my downstairs neighbor.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Using Salifert Flatworm Exit --- Used at 70% dosage strength - 40 mins after dosing 100+ fish just fell to the bottom of the tank dead. Most expensive lesson ever learned.

2) Maroon clowns should be enjoyed in other peoples tanks.

3) Two guys start reef tanks - 1 buys pretty corals frags. 1 mortgages his house and buys the most outrageously priced and fancy named coral frags that can be found. 24 months later the tanks have both grown in. One tank is not any more beautiful than the other. A mature reef tank is a thing of beauty and many of the crazy lil bits of corals don't grow into crazy colonies. Man (or person) #1 who bought pretty corals not only didn't mortgage his house, but now probably can afford a bigger tank and maybe even a bigger house.

Dave B

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

green pocillopora added a few years back that bailed out larvae all over the system and took over.

Acros move so slow that it seems like you have plenty of time and room..lol. it runs out quick and prime spots are hard to come.by

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving my rodi unit on for half an hour until i realized it leaked causing it to leak through the ceiling of my downstairs neighbor.
YIKES!

did you show up at the neighbors door afterwards with a case of beer and a can of paint?

that must have been an akward conversation.

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YIKES!

did you show up at the neighbors door afterwards with a case of beer and appointment for a painter?

that must have been an akward conversation.
Guy knocked at my door and I had my 'oh ****' moment. Was nice about it though. He is just a renter so I paid the owner like $750 to hire someone to fix the damages. :oops:

Definitely wise for anyone reefing in an apartment, especially not on the first floor, to always put down towels and double check for leaks or drips continuously.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Wha??? (yes, it spreads and needs trimming.) :grinning-squinting-face:
PSX_20230614_181651.jpg

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 51 48.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 36.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back