OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8561.png IMG_8562.png IMG_8563.png IMG_8564.png IMG_8565.png IMG_8566.png IMG_8567.png

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that ROX 0.8 you don't need, the chemipure contains carbon already, so cancel that. You have 2 different types of Arag-Alive sand, go with the OceanDirect by the same company, NOT the Arag-Alive. The Ocean Direct is pulled directly from the ocean and comes with a plethora of healthy and good bacteria, the Arag-Alive is dry sand that has had bacterial spores and water added to the bag, it's not anywhere near as effective as the OceanDirect in building a healthy biome. The rest of the stuff looks ok.

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that ROX 0.8 you don't need, the chemipure contains carbon already, so cancel that. You have 2 different types of Arag-Alive sand, go with the OceanDirect by the same company, NOT the Arag-Alive. The Ocean Direct is pulled directly from the ocean and comes with a plethora of healthy and good bacteria, the Arag-Alive is dry sand that has had bacterial spores and water added to the bag, it's not anywhere near as effective as the OceanDirect in building a healthy biome. The rest of the stuff looks ok.
ok im gonna do rn one sec

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg This one

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's the stuff. That's the original grade, so you will get large pieces of shell as well as fine particles of sand. That's the grade I use in all my tanks, though I think my next tank (since it will be a fairly deep tank) I am going to try out the Oolite.

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to get a two spot Gobi to deal with the bottom of the tank so that should be good for him, right

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for my rock situation, I like rocks with a little bit of an arch is there anything you could recommend?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for my rock situation, I like rocks with a little bit of an arch is there anything you could recommend?
So, I am not a fan of manufactured rock. It looks totally unnatural to me. Some of the most natural-looking mass produced fake stuff I've seen comes from Tropic Eden which you can find over on premiumaquatics.com

However, I use the Moani in all of my tanks because it's natural rock mined from dried out ancient reefs and it looks lovely.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, if you go the moani route, there's no reason you can't make arches of your own with a bit of ingenuity, a hammer, chisel, and some reef cement works wonders, and you won't be able to tell the cement joints are there once you have coralline algae everywhere...

I use the NYOS reef cement, but many here advocate for the Marco cement. I think you'd be good either way.

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And where would you recommend buying the rocks that you have because I like those a lot

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And where would you recommend buying the rocks that you have because I like those a lot
www.saltwateraquarium has the CaribSea Moani.

A 40lb bag should be ok. It really depends on how deep you want your sandbed to be. If you want a sand sifting goby, I'd recommend shooting for a 2-3" bed at least. You can calculate sand over at BRS

Just use the special grade from the sand type drop down and you'll get a good idea of how many lbs you need for your chosen depth.

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.saltwateraquarium has the CaribSea Moani.

A 40lb bag should be ok. It really depends on how deep you want your sandbed to be. If you want a sand sifting goby, I'd recommend shooting for a 2-3" bed at least. You can calculate sand over at BRS

Just use the special grade from the sand type drop down and you'll get a good idea of how many lbs you need for your chosen depth.
how many rocks come with that

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many rocks come with that
the general rule with rock is 1-2lbs per gallon (when dealing with the porous nature of the real mined rock like Marco, Moani, etc) or 2-3lbs per gallon for the fake stuff (LifeRock, Tropic Eden, etc). You can get different sized boxes of the stuff from Saltwateraquarium.

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the general rule with rock is 1-2lbs per gallon (when dealing with the porous nature of the real mined rock like Marco, Moani, etc) or 2-3lbs per gallon for the fake stuff (LifeRock, Tropic Eden, etc). You can get different sized boxes of the stuff from Saltwateraquarium.
How many rocks came with yours when you got it?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many rocks came with yours when you got it?
honestly, I can't remember. probably 8-10 decent sized pieces? I got the 40lb box of Moani from the website, and picked up a few really nice Reef Harvested rocks at my LFS (They have a bin with live-rock they keep wet and have lights on it from tank teardowns. They have a lot of the old Walt Smith Tonga and Fiji rock in there, as well as some of the TBS rock.

OP
OP
KingVinny

KingVinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly, I can't remember. probably 8-10 decent sized pieces? I got the 40lb box of Moani from the website, and picked up a few really nice Reef Harvested rocks at my LFS (They have a bin with live-rock they keep wet and have lights on it from tank teardowns. They have a lot of the old Walt Smith Tonga and Fiji rock in there, as well as some of the TBS rock.
OK that’s not bad 8 to 10 probably won’t use all of it. I’m gonna save some for my 70 gallon tank when I put it together when I get the room for it and obviously I’m gonna buy more but everything is ordered and now we’re just praying for the best.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back