SaltwaterandLime's epic adhd build thread....

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a month of working with them slowly, Swim Shady and Maroon 5 seem to be ok with each other.

Fingers crossed they don't wake up and choose violence tomorrow...

20231002_174058.jpg
20231002_173251.jpg
20231002_173223.jpg
20231002_173224.jpg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....... we did a thing...

Innovative marine 50g INT. I have absolutely zero plan for this, total impulse purchase when I saw their sale. Merry Christmas to me I guess?
Screenshot_20231017_193433_Chrome.jpg
3295050693.jpg
20231018_181544.jpg
20231018_200737.jpg
20231018_200913.jpg
20231018_201307.jpg
20231019_103640.jpg
20231019_111705.jpg
20231019_193130.jpg
Hey while you get it set up and cycled you'll have time to figure out what it wants to be. Plus by then black Friday will be here and you can grab whatever else you need. I like the white stand.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the hunt for purple or teal reefing equipment. This tank sits at the end of my desk and as silly as it sounds, it's important to me that every thing looks cohesive. Chaos in my space makes my brain struggle to stay focused. I'm planning on a custom sump, and I know @nyos.aquatics has purple and @my_asf has pink. Can anyone suggest other brands I could look into?

20231025_170637.jpg
20231017_161809.jpg
20231008_134133.jpg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any recommendations but I also love purple and teal. Maybe you can only put those colors in the tank? At least coral wise. Maybe black and white fish?

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked around on a couple of different places for suggestions on gear I could look into....and I got a **** ton of ******* hate for it. This is only one example

Like honestly I totally get that my way of doing things will seem silly to others, but at the same time, why the **** is society so quick to blast people for personal choices that don't effect anyone else?

I've been learning ways to manage my brain squirrels for the last 40 years. I have plenty of personal experience that proves that I will function better if things are done a specific way. Some ******* telling me "hey, that's dumb" isn't going to suddenly throw a switch on my brain and change my life. Plenty of doctors and medications have tried, joeblow on the internet isn't going to fix me.

Like if I posted online and said I needed glasses to repair my vision and asked for advice on where to shop for glasses...... no one would even bat an eye....

But when I say I need to set up my bedroom in a specific way to manage a brain disfunction, the internet loses its ******* mind.

Sorry I just really needed to vent and obviously I didn't want to feed the jerks.

Screenshot_20231028_072648_Discord.jpg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked around on a couple of different places for suggestions on gear I could look into....and I got a **** ton of ******* hate for it. This is only one example

Like honestly I totally get that my way of doing things will seem silly to others, but at the same time, why the **** is society so quick to blast people for personal choices that don't effect anyone else?

I've been learning ways to manage my brain squirrels for the last 40 years. I have plenty of personal experience that proves that I will function better if things are done a specific way. Some ******* telling me "hey, that's dumb" isn't going to suddenly throw a switch on my brain and change my life. Plenty of doctors and medications have tried, joeblow on the internet isn't going to fix me.

Like if I posted online and said I needed glasses to repair my vision and asked for advice on where to shop for glasses...... no one would even bat an eye....

But when I say I need to set up my bedroom in a specific way to manage a brain disfunction, the internet loses its ******* mind.

Sorry I just really needed to vent and obviously I didn't want to feed the jerks.

Screenshot_20231028_072648_Discord.jpg
This is why I hate people in general. But I have gotten to the age and financial capability of being able to raise my middle finger at them and get what I want, regardless of the reason. We don't have to justify our wants (or needs) to anyone ever. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone else of course. If people are starting to complain about (insert millennial gripe here) that's their God given right. But don't come at me when I want purple trim on my sump. If they can't give help or provide assistance they can take a long walk off a short pier. If you were getting those kind of responses on this forum I would immediately report them to the admins. This is not the kind of response they condone or put up with here.
Sorry I'm in total agreement with you and felt like venting too.
Maybe reach out to glasscages. I know they work in acrylic and may be able to source some specialty accent colors for a sump for you. Tell them your situation and speak with Joe directly.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also maybe vinyl wrap what you can't get made custom in the colors you want?

Thanks. I have actually also gotten a lot of positive advice on ways to change or hide the color of equipment that I can't find in my preferred color scheme... so it definitely hasn't all been negative.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on the video!!!

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The three months out of the year that the US collectively refers to as "the holiday season" (halloween, thanksgiving, college football playoffs, christmas, etc) is really hard for a lot of people, and I feel like it's only getting harder.

Seasonal affective disorder is a real thing, but social pressures I think really exacerbate it.... I struggle really hard with it myself and I see it a lot in my patients every day too. Plus holidays have such a huge focus on "family" and it seems like everyone I talk to has lost close family around the holidays and now struggles with finding the "joy" that media says holidays are supposed to have.

I chose to walk away from christianity and organized religion a long time ago, but I kind of appreciate the effort my dad is putting in this year to hold a "Blue Christmas" service on Christmas eve as kind of a communal "it's OK to not be happy at holidays" service/sermon.

My dad recently helped organize/structure/commence (I don't know the right word) a world wide split in the denomination he is ordained in and a lot of people are still hurt just by the uncertainty in their church, the one place they think they should always be able up go to for support, so like when the church itself is fighting amongst itself over its own creeds and doctrines..... it's extra hard for people whose entire support system comes from magical sky daddy.

(FWIW, my father fought FOR the inclusion of women and openly gay bishops, rather loudly I might add, my dad and I might not agree on God, but we're pretty agreeable on the fact that everyone's human)

Anyway...point being holidays suck. I miss people. I hate seeing people I care about struggling also.

We made a decision this year to rent a cabin in north Georgia in the mountains and run away and pretend christmas doesn't exist.

I know at least one day while we are up there we want to go visit the georgia museum in Atlanta, I'm not sure what else we might try to do.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all too well that feeling also. Hugs and calming vibes heading your way. If may recommend the Aquarium in Atlanta it is pretty top notch. I believe it may be worth it if they are open when you are downtown.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all too well that feeling also. Hugs and calming vibes heading your way. If may recommend the Aquarium in Atlanta it is pretty top notch. I believe it may be worth it if they are open when you are downtown.
Yes! I meant to add that also. My kids have both been to it but I never have! That is on my list also

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm on the hunt for purple or teal reefing equipment. This tank sits at the end of my desk and as silly as it sounds, it's important to me that every thing looks cohesive. Chaos in my space makes my brain struggle to stay focused. I'm planning on a custom sump, and I know @nyos.aquatics has purple and @my_asf has pink. Can anyone suggest other brands I could look into?

20231025_170637.jpg
20231017_161809.jpg
20231008_134133.jpg
Teal colored gear could include Aquavitro.
division-splash-image.jpg

Their whole color scheme is aqua for all their hardware.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Teal colored gear could include Aquavitro.
division-splash-image.jpg

Their whole color scheme is aqua for all their hardware.
Oh and Aquaforest is purple. Hind sight is 20/20 but their Aquaforest tanks have purple trim. You can buy their other equipment in purple, but lots isn't sold here and is only in the EU. I kind of want their skimmer, but I don't see it for sale in the US.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back