OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had quite the opposite experience. Tested positive for 3 strains of SCTLD via Aquabiomics after adding some Florida vendor corals and had to do full tank shutdown on what was an 8 year own successful high end SPS tank. New tank delivered to me today! But reluctant to get back into SPS until there’s a treatment option in place. I lost a massive high end collection.
What's your plan this round?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kicking rainbow armies' wrass.
PXL_20230621_005904436.jpg

The Space Lazer is a bit stalled. Not doing much. Maybe getting a bit knobbier.
Alk is swinging between 6.9 and 8 so... To be expected.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last two days I helped my parents clear out 2 50 gal low boy frag tanks for two new larger acrylic tanks- here’s a couple of pics
IMG_4695.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Multi generation Reefing family is pretty cool.

I like the dual levels in there.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not be too concerned. I have numerous stoney corals from KP rock that are doing fine, and Dad ordered some a month ago and zero issues. It seems the issue is bacteria sealed (at least from recent studies) and with the diversity in our tanks (when compared to those specific waters), it poses almost no issue for a truly mixed reef. At least IMO.

End of day, I have 4o year old corals native to FL and so does dad, one would think that our tanks would be the first to see it, and we have not. Even with my "dock rocks" that are "cooked" in the Atlantic/Intercoastal (Indian River Lagoon), no issues with those.
Not sold. Aquabiomics confirmed 3 strains of SCTLD completely wiped out my mature high end SPS tank, prob lost about $20k worth, starting over now. Good news is the antibiotic mix i used did end up eradicating it (per a 3 month retest), but none of my corals survived the treatment. I’m confident SCTLD is more prevalent than we know, but most do not submit the expensive and slow aquabiomics test to know for sure and they blame the 20 other things that they could (and may well) be doing wrong. But the disease is real and it is impacting our tanks with certainty. I quarantine, dip, and only buy from “trusted sources” and I ended up with 3 strains!

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sold. Aquabiomics confirmed 3 strains of SCTLD completely wiped out my mature high end SPS tank, prob lost about $20k worth, starting over now. Good news is the antibiotic mix i used did end up eradicating it (per a 3 month retest), but none of my corals survived the treatment. I’m confident SCTLD is more prevalent than we know, but most do not submit the expensive and slow aquabiomics test to know for sure and they blame the 20 other things that they could (and may well) be doing wrong. But the disease is real and it is impacting our tanks with certainty. I quarantine, dip, and only buy from “trusted sources” and I ended up with 3 strains!
You didn't answer above. Since you know what you have and you think you know whatever it came from, What are you doing differently this time? How are you planning to reef without rock? Without diverse bacteria?

You know as well as I do. It'll take years to get a full dry rock start to where it will thrive SPS. You clearly can't bring anything in even from" trusted vendors" and know it is clean. So what are you doing differently?

Doesn't seem like a coral QT would even be effective unless you are testing for it every single wet thing you bring in.

Last edited:

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You didn't answer above. Since you know what you have and you think you know whatever it came from, What are you doing differently this time? How are you planning to reef without rock? Without diverse bacteria?

You know as well as I do. It'll take years to get a full dry rock start to where it will thrive SPS. You clearly can't bring anything in even from" trusted vendors" and no it is clean. So what are you doing differently?

Doesn't seem like a coral QT would even be effective unless you are testing for it every single wet thing you bring in.
It’s a good question and you’re 100% right. I got it from coral (vs rock), and the research shows it can also be transmitted via water, fish, inverts, rock or coral. Honestly, for now, I’m starting with dry rock and moving back in my fish from my second tank that tested clean and sticking with FOWLR for awhile. Im not venturing back into SPS for some time (if ever) as I’d need to let the tank mature first anyway, and as more people realize this is what they have, I’m hoping treatment options, methods and successs rates improve. Like I said I beat it, but without much treatment precedence and after cipro alone failed and many already died, I threw the kitchen sink at it to see if I could at least salvage the fish and get it out, which worked. So I think there will be some inbetween balance of antibiotics that work and don’t destroy the tank that folks on here will get to. But for now, FOWLR for me given the $$ lost and the pain of a full restart…

I wish @AquaBiomics would publish some data on their findings and % frequency as they’re the sole holder of this info right now…!!

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just gonna drop this here :)

Miss you bud

That contest frag is looking gnarly good.

Thanks bud. I just posted my July Entry. Now that I know they don't do much from the main stalk but branch out from the bottom, I'm feeling better about the growth I'm seeing. The base got a lot thicker and is throwing off 4-5 of what look to be new arms.
PXL_20230710_220232414.jpg

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two have really taken off despite my crap husbandry recently.

@GoldenStateCorals Rainbow Milli. It was worth pestering them for a year to get a piece of this.
PXL_20230711_005012539.jpg
PXL_20230711_004951897.jpg
PXL_20230711_004858388.jpg

@WhotheFknows unknown compliments of @F i s h y it was badly damages as a little nub after the fire. Finally starting to do work.

PXL_20230711_005105728.jpg

Oops... alk was at 6 when I got back.

Who's cutting that lobe off before it spreads further?
PXL_20230711_005134352.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two have really taken off despite my crap husbandry recently.

@GoldenStateCorals Rainbow Milli. It was worth pestering them for a year to get a piece of this.
PXL_20230711_005012539.jpg
PXL_20230711_004951897.jpg
PXL_20230711_004858388.jpg

@WhotheFknows unknown compliments of @F i s h y it was badly damages as a little nub after the fire. Finally starting to do work.

PXL_20230711_005105728.jpg

Oops... alk was at 6 when I got back.

Who's cutting that lobe off before it spreads further?
PXL_20230711_005134352.jpg
I lick that rainbow

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only sticks I can keep are the "easy" ones. And even managed to stn my birdsnest. One day I will try some pretty sticks.
In my opinion birdsnest are not that "easy" I've seen plenty of times where a colony that has been solid for a long time suddenly goes down hill

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 76.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.8%
Back