SBB- Spring Fling Blowout

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

evilexotica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely going home for lunch in 20 min. Who thinks I'll make it back to work.
200w (76).gif

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae and bacteria control. No parasites or anything in tank, all fish qted etc. If I ever seen anything the plan would be to run another uv for fish control.
For algae control it is all about processing as much water as you can rapidly. Oversize the UV and run all of your return flow through it. Algae replicates rapidly and you need to zap it before it can reproduce.

What is your current flow rate of your return pump? If it is not fast enough the UV won't be able to keep up with the algae. This is where the closed loop from DT back to DT is best.

You also don't need to run it 24/7 for algae either. I think @billyocean uses his sparingly to clean up if he has a bloom.

Lastly you will see some additional heat and water temp increase using a UV. Just something to be prepared for.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For algae control it is all about processing as much water as you can rapidly. Oversize the UV and run all of your return flow through it. Algae replicates rapidly and you need to zap it before it can reproduce.

What is your current flow rate of your return pump? If it is not fast enough the UV won't be able to keep up with the algae. This is where the closed loop from DT back to DT is best.

You also don't need to run it 24/7 for algae either. I think @billyocean uses his sparingly to clean up if he has a bloom.

Lastly you will see some additional heat and water temp increase using a UV. Just something to be prepared for.
I used just bulbs in my overflow 2-13 w each overflow. I only use when algae bloom now but when first set up 24 hrs. Then 12 then none now.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah...usually just if I have an ostreopsis moment. Dose some silicate and run the green killing machine. As far as ich...I know i have it in my tank because I've seen new fish with it before. It just goes away and never comes back. Any fish I have currently must have an immunity built up against it.

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used just bulbs in my overflow 2-13 w each overflow. I only use when algae bloom now but when first set up 24 hrs. Then 12 then none now.
I do not suggest running open bulbs in anything especially anything with plastic or acrylic.

UV damage to plastic and acrylic is severe leading to brittle parts.

UV will damage silicone leading to weakened seams.

Obvious electricity danger.

Excess calcium and other build up reduces UV efficiency.

UV will damage your retina, similar to the UV rays of the sun. Unprotected bulds provide no shielding.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not suggest running open bulbs in anything especially anything with plastic or acrylic.

UV damage to plastic and acrylic is severe leading to brittle parts.

UV will damage silicone leading to weakened seams.

Obvious electricity danger.

Excess calcium and other build up reduces UV efficiency.

UV will damage your retina, similar to the UV rays of the sun. Unprotected bulds provide no shielding.
Yeah I like doing stupid stuff. But for the short amount of time I used them I felt that was better than the sump and less likely to cause problems there. Could always replace internal plastic if it had become an issue. Bulbs were sealed. And could only be used for 6 months anyways.

Back