OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Long time and no update! Well, the good news is the seahorses seem to be doing well. The bad news is CYANO!!! Ugh! I hate this stuff. I'm going to combat it by doing small water changes much more frequently and doing more controlled feedings. Any way, here is a pic:
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1430180676.443743.jpg

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a very pretty pony! She looks amazing.

Thank you! I love the markings that she has. :)

Best of luck with the cyano krista. Great looking seahorse. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to try a seahorse tank.

Thanks! I am determined to beat the cyano!

Oh, I forgot that I added a molly to the tank. It is doing well and does not bother the seahorses at all. I forget it is in there because it only comes out at feeding time. I don't think I will ever get a pic of it because it is black and blends in with the tank background.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I love the markings that she has. :)

Thanks! I am determined to beat the cyano!

Oh, I forgot that I added a molly to the tank. It is doing well and does not bother the seahorses at all. I forget it is in there because it only comes out at feeding time. I don't think I will ever get a pic of it because it is black and blends in with the tank background.

She does indeed have beautiful markings! Thanks for sharing about the molly as I have wondered how they would work out. It is good to know someone that I trust their judgement in regards to seahorses is having a positive experience. Is the molly effective with algae in your opinion? I also heard that mollies give off a lot of waste, do you find that to be true?

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She does indeed have beautiful markings! Thanks for sharing about the molly as I have wondered how they would work out. It is good to know someone that I trust their judgement in regards to seahorses is having a positive experience. Is the molly effective with algae in your opinion? I also heard that mollies give off a lot of waste, do you find that to be true?

I don't think that they are that effective in algae control. I only have one molly right now, but I may add others in the future so that opinion may change. I also do not find that they give off much waste. I think the waste factor comes into play when you have mollies that are breeding constantly in the tank. The fry coming from multiple female mollies can be troublesome.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that they are that effective in algae control. I only have one molly right now, but I may add others in the future so that opinion may change. I also do not find that they give off much waste. I think the waste factor comes into play when you have mollies that are breeding constantly in the tank. The fry coming from multiple female mollies can be troublesome.

Thanks, i think what you have shared makes me think that maybe what a molly ' s best contribution is just being a safe tank mate that won't pass on pathogens. There are some beautiful sailfins that could make lovely additions to a seahorse tank.

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, i think what you have shared makes me think that maybe what a molly ' s best contribution is just being a safe tank mate that won't pass on pathogens. There are some beautiful sailfins that could make lovely additions to a seahorse tank.

Typically, I recommend to have a backup plan with fish inhabitants and seahorses. There is always the possibility that the seahorses and the fish might not make a good pair. As far as the sailfin, I really wish I went with them instead of my boring black molly. I barely see it. Apparently, my male seahorse doesn't like the molly eating mysis and will snick food out of its mouth.

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my male is prego! :)

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kevin! It is so weird because I never saw the seahorses doing their courting ritual. I'm not sure when the egg transfer took place. I have been watching the male's pouch becoming more and more pronounced the last couple of days. At first, I thought that it might be air bubbles trapped but tonight I was able to confirm that he his pregnant. :)

retiredsailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Krista, I'm not trying to be rude and I'm certainly not questioning your abilities... but how did you "confirm" his pregnancy? I'm so ignorant of seahorses and have no clue how you would do so.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Long time and no update! Well, the good news is the seahorses seem to be doing well. The bad news is CYANO!!! Ugh! I hate this stuff. I'm going to combat it by doing small water changes much more frequently and doing more controlled feedings. Any way, here is a pic:
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1430180676.443743.jpg

She is stunning! Congrats on your prego male! :D

~CI

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Krista, I'm not trying to be rude and I'm certainly not questioning your abilities... but how did you "confirm" his pregnancy? I'm so ignorant of seahorses and have no clue how you would do so.

You can tell by the way the male pouch forms and becomes full. @vlangel has some great videos that show her male being pregnant.

How is your male SH s pregnancy going? Congrats!

:( I missed the birth. I was away for a few days and that was when it happened. Luckily, I am going to be home for a bit and I am going to try and raise the next batch.

Yes, any update on your beauties?

The seahorses are going great!! :) I need to get some better pics.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you missed the birth but it probably won't be too long before you get another opportunity.

My male is due any second. Yesterday was day 19 or 20 and that has been when he delivered in the past. The poor guy is as big as a house. I keep turning off the return pump when we got out for dinner and such and let the 3 rio pumps and open air line circulate the tank. These fry are promised to guy who bought my babies that I sold.

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just figured I would go ahead and update this thread. On Tuesday, southern New Jersey was hit by an intense storm. They are calling it a macroburst. This means that areas sustained winds of 85 mph for 5-20 minutes. I lost power at 6:03 PM and it is still out. Unfortunately, I do not have a generator. I do have battery operated air pumps and an inverter. The generator was something that has been on my list to get since I bought my house last year, but other things for the house took priority. As of right now, the seahorses are still alive, but I am very concerned for them. Considering everything that has happened, I am extremely grateful and thankful that my only concern is no power. It looks like a war zone around here.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing a post you had elsewhere that stated the power trucks were on your street about ten hours ago, I was hopeful you'd have power by now. I know it's a trip for you, but when you're up and ready, you are welcome stopping buy and taking whatever extras I have to help restock the corals.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back