Seeking Input: Affordable Smart Aquarium Controller - Your Suggestions Wanted!

Will you buy such smart controller for $60

• Yes

• No

• I want more for bang for the buck

Results are only viewable after voting.

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested.

I have a display tank and a frag system, both Neptune controlled. Neither Neptune can measure more than one pH probe. At your price point I would consider adding this as a second pH monitor.

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is connectivity a requirement? Where I live cell service is the only internet access so anything that needs a constant connection is a no-go.
Thanks for taking interest in the feedback.
In order to make the device onboard first time you'll need the app on your phone, which will use bluetooth on your phone to connect the device to Wifi to download a small firmware. Once your device is on-boarded your device can function on its own independently based on the settings you configure from app.
In your case you if there is no connectivity you'll not be able to monitor anything but as i mentioned before device will keep working on its own.
If you have a cellphone with hotspot you can always use its wifi to update newer firmware and then device will resume operation like before.
The short answer is that you do not need constant internet for the device to work independently.
Hope it answers your questions

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested.

I have a display tank and a frag system, both Neptune controlled. Neither Neptune can measure more than one pH probe. At your price point I would consider adding this as a second pH monitor.
Thanks for taking interest in feedback/question.
I did mention in the post that pH probe is sold separately for users who want to accurately measure pH of their tank. We're looking at around ~$60 for a very precise pH probe to be sold separately.
Also, if I see enough interest I may also add additional port of salinity and TDS (combined probe for additional cost) as well for complete monitoring of basic parameters.
The device is expected to be around ~$60 + ~$60 for the pH probe , you'll be looking at around $120.

You can understand I am not manufacturing probes but the controller system, also these probes are generally costly.

Feel free to ask any questions.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested.

Yes it can with a PM1. I am currently monitoring two different tank's PH with one brain. Unless I am not understanding your statement.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested in something like this. I do use APEX, but if I am setting a temporary tank or QT tank or even a small tank this would be great. I would just make sure if you are going to control a heater/chiller through your outlets it can handle the constant on/off with high wattage.

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested in something like this. I do use APEX, but if I am setting a temporary tank or QT tank or even a small tank this would be great. I would just make sure if you are going to control a heater/chiller through your outlets it can handle the constant on/off with high wattage.
Thanks for reading the post and taking interest. Yes, this will easily handle higher wattage heaters.
One feature I forgot to mention is the device health check, in case of power failure user will receive notification on their apps along with other notifications

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does seem interesting and like there would be a small market for it

Questions

Who are you / what is your company? Do you have any other products of any kind or will this be the first item you release?

Suggestion for future product. What we need is a simple automated device that will measure alkalinity once daily, and send a notification if out of a range we program. 200$. Maybe 300$. Bonus points if it can send notification when reagent is running low.

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does seem interesting and like there would be a small market for it

Questions

Who are you / what is your company? Do you have any other products of any kind or will this be the first item you release?

Suggestion for future product. What we need is a simple automated device that will measure alkalinity once daily, and send a notification if out of a range we program. 200$. Maybe 300$. Bonus points if it can send notification when reagent is running low.
We are a team two engineers and have over 20+ years of experience working with big tech and are technology enthusiasts at heart. This would be our first product that we are planning to launch , the reason I am here is to ask the actual hobbyists their feedback and use it as a litmus test for interest. We plan to go kickstarter very soon and hopefully generate enough capital to materialize this for fellow hobbyists.
If this goes successful we have plans to go big and offer full solution to offer substitutes to big names in the market for a price thats affordable and we all know very well how expensive this hobby could be.

Regarding your question about measuring alkalinity, it isn't that simple and there is no probe in the market that is capable of doing it as of today but if there is a solution out there we will always look into it.

One feature I forgot to mention is the device health check, in case of power failure user will receive notification on their apps along with other notifications

Thanks

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are a team two engineers and have over 20+ years of experience working with big tech and are technology enthusiasts at heart. This would be our first product that we are planning to launch , the reason I am here is to ask the actual hobbyists their feedback and use it as a litmus test for interest. We plan to go kickstarter very soon and hopefully generate enough capital to materialize this for fellow hobbyists.
If this goes successful we have plans to go big and offer full solution to offer substitutes to big names in the market for a price thats affordable and we all know very well how expensive this hobby could be.

Regarding your question about measuring alkalinity, it isn't that simple and there is no probe in the market that is capable of doing it as of today but if there is a solution out there we will always look into it.

Thanks

Correct. No probe. But Hanna can make a device for 60$ that can do it with a liquid reagent and photometer.

All we need is something that is functionally the same but with the capability of extracting a specific amount of water from the tank, applying the reagent, taking a reading, and disposing out a waste line to a container or drain. And probably a short rinse with rodi from a side container. Controlled by a chip, with app integration or ability to email / notify users of the results, and to set a schedule

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. No probe. But Hanna can make a device for 60$ that can do it with a liquid reagent and photometer.

All we need is something that is functionally the same but with the capability of extracting a specific amount of water from the tank, applying the reagent, taking a reading, and disposing out a waste line to a container or drain. And probably a short rinse with rodi from a side container. Controlled by a chip, with app integration or ability to email / notify users of the results, and to set a schedule
You're absolutely correct about the Hannah testing for Alkalinity. There are few issues with the approach you mentioned.

1- We'll have to temper the existing product which is never a good idea.
2- The reagent is proprietary and is a different field altogether to come up with a new one
3- The proper and precise dispense of water from tank is important along with reagent addition.
4- Proper flushing and cleaning is also important and needs careful determination
5- Extract the result of the test from the device by tempering is another challenge but doable
6- Export and report data to your choice of monitoring portal

With all above said , this is still doable but it would be a separate project altogether and if we can do this then we can do the same to all other test that requires reagent.
If you're interested , we can do a custom solution only for you and for us its easy to do custom solutions, but its not on our roadmap as of right now.

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I say why not. Grab a few Betta testers with good feedback (count me in)
So far sounds good especially for those with nano tanks

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be on board, quick setup to monitor a QT or frag system for the cost of an INKBIRD
Yes , thats the idea to launch it as a entry level device or use it for small QT tanks. (remember pH probe will be sold separately)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take no offense, but I don’t see a viable business here. Maybe a kickstarter run some pocketed money and a bankrupt entity with orphaned customers.

The market is super small and saturated to begin with. Assume you are ordering jobber lots from a china OEM. You are going to easily have $20 cost in each unit. That is $40 net profit per unit. You sell 3,000 units for $120,000 profit. That barely pays for the injection molds, let alone hosting for your web service or ongoing support or compensation for two business owners. If you think you will sell a few hundred thousand of these, I would suggest doing more market research and using realistic variables.

These are single purchase durable goods that will be sold at low margin and relatively low volume with somewhat high overhead and fewer sales each year based on market saturation. There is no RMR but there is ongoing monthly expense per unit sold for the life of the customer.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... I am kind of on the fence about this. I agree with what some others have said; there's probably a limited market for this product. I understand your approach with "basic" but I think both GHL and Apex also have "Basic" models, and to be honest, I rarely see them anywhere. Everyone I know with a controller has the full Monty, and we're not what anyone would consider "wealthy" by any stretch of the imagination. If it were me, I would either do something to completely differentiate yourself, or make a product that competes with Hydros/Apex/GHL/Reef Factory, at a competitive price point.

Captain-Barnacle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it, fenomatik, you will not be sorry! Let this only lead to ever greater things. Just be careful with CapEx, then value-added to the parts will pay back, if slowly. I'll buy one and glad to help the effort. Do not freeze the design until the last moment. Do many beta-test iterations with extreme exception events. Fix every flaw. Integrate AI, to give it something useful to do.

How about running them in tandem for superior reliability?

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back