Show off your Tangs

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He is tiny, between 1-1.5 inch. I never seen Sailfin Tang this small before. I never look too closely into Sailfin since I think they are going to be too large for my tank. Is this a Zebrasoma veliferum or Zebrasoma desjardinii?
Thanks. I really consider getting him but finally decided to leave him at the store. I think he is a Z. veliferum
Looks like it just hatched from its mother. .LOL. . . but I get the temptation. Not only cute but these tangs are some of the few that dont eat *they always eat) and they grow quickly.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have seen some beautiful
lg_74760_YellowTang.jpg
Tangs Thanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is tiny, between 1-1.5 inch. I never seen Sailfin Tang this small before. I never look too closely into Sailfin since I think they are going to be too large for my tank. Is this a Zebrasoma veliferum or Zebrasoma desjardinii?
Thanks. I really consider getting him but finally decided to leave him at the store. I think he is a Z. veliferum
He is a Z. desjardini as Z. veliferum has much taller fins and is overall a darker colour IME.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have a new Mimic Tang (in the tank for 48 hours now). He eats all day off the rock work but won't touch Nori or any of the prepared foods I put in. When I feed it's a frenzy and he just watches the other fish eat. Anyone have an issue like this with a new tang? Think he'll slowly adapt to the prepared foods? I feed a mix of LRS Reef Frenzy, Herbivore Frenzy, Misis and Hikari Mega Marine.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have a new Mimic Tang (in the tank for 48 hours now). He eats all day off the rock work but won't touch Nori or any of the prepared foods I put in. When I feed it's a frenzy and he just watches the other fish eat. Anyone have an issue like this with a new tang? Think he'll slowly adapt to the prepared foods? I feed a mix of LRS Reef Frenzy, Herbivore Frenzy, Misis and Hikari Mega Marine.
Yep my white tail kole did just that… he will eat in time, mine did.. took about 2 weeks in my case, he lived off the algae on the back glass and rocks and now eats prepared food, readily and daily.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is a Z. desjardini as Z. veliferum has much taller fins and is overall a darker colour IME.
What about the tail color? I usually use this, and the pattern of the line. These characteristics maybe can only be use in adult coloration fish. For fish as young as this, it likely not all that reliable.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep my white tail kole did just that… he will eat in time, mine did.. took about 2 weeks in my case, he lived off the algae on the back glass and rocks and now eats prepared food, readily and daily.
Thanks for the reply. I just have never had a tang do this before. Thanks again.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how things change... Ten years ago in the hobby the Yellow Tang was everywhere in LFS's. It was inexpensive and the first tang most people put in their tanks. Hardy and a mainstay as far as tangs go. Now it's one of the "coveted" tangs to get at insane prices due to the bans. Goes to show you, make something hard to get and people will over pay for it. Not slamming yellow tangs or people who purchase them. I just find it ironic that a fish that I owned over the years relatively inexpensively can demand such prices. Back then the pricy tangs were the Chevrons, Gems and alike. Irregardless... Tangs are great and for me they bring a lot to a reef tank!

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Funny how things change... Ten years ago in the hobby the Yellow Tang was everywhere in LFS's. It was inexpensive and the first tang most people put in their tanks. Hardy and a mainstay as far as tangs go. Now it's one of the "coveted" tangs to get at insane prices due to the bans. Goes to show you, make something hard to get and people will over pay for it. Not slamming yellow tangs or people who purchase them. I just find it ironic that a fish that I owned over the years relatively inexpensively can demand such prices. Back then the pricy tangs were the Chevrons, Gems and alike. Irregardless... Tangs are great and for me they bring a lot to a reef tank!

Worth reminding folks Duncan’s and acans were once holy grail corals until Aussie opened for collection in the early aughts. Hell, for that matter I still have Tonga, Marshall island and Florida rock from when I worked at a shop in high school back in the 90’s.

Just goes to show the change you see when you stick around long enough.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! I can't believe it has been almost 2 1/2 years since I got my Biota Yellow Tang...

Here is the photo I posted in this thread when I got him...
1699274795228.png

Look how tiny and adorable he was :)

Here is a recent photo from a few weeks ago...
IMG_0184-3.jpg
Hes beautiful, it’s a shame the CB yellows have small defects.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes beautiful, it’s a shame the CB yellows have small defects.

I don't call them defects.. I call them "personality markings" lol Other than the small marks he is remarkably healthy and very happy grazing around my tank. I was told once a while back that those markings are a result of dietary defiencies... I guess they don't get enough of the greens they need while young. Either way, I don't care... hes beautiful and I am happy to have him just as he is...

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been gathering quite a collection of tangs for my new 600 gallon that is currently being built. I still need to get is the Achilles but I currently have

Acanthurus lineatus (clown tang)
Acanthurus triostegus (convict tang)
Acanthurus guttatus (mustard tang)
Zebrasoma xanthurum (purple tang)
Zebrasoma scopas (scopas tang)
Zebrasoma desjardini (desjardini tang)
Zebrasoma flavescens (yellow tang)
Ctenochaetus flavicauda (whitetail tang)
Ctenochaetus tominienses (tomini tang)
Naso lieratus (Naso tang)

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goes to show you, make something hard to get and people will over pay for it.
It's crazy isn't it? I'm no different.

I had a yellow tang in the 90's and I felt like I didn't have one of the cool fish. I have a yellow tang now and I feel like a baller. lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back