Sixline Wrasse?

crock921

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had great luck with my 6 line. Guess I was lucky.
He was in a 29g biocube with a :
royal gramma
2x occ clowns
lawnmower blenny

I was thinking about a new one for my 150g, but y'all are scaring me out of it lol.
I have a couple tangs and a flame angel picking off the rocks already, so I may look into other options.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were always terrors. Never again.

However, I do think that like the Sohal tang, people just reiterate other people's stories without any real experience and then what was one person's actual experience is reiterated and reinforced by 20 more people.

Not saying Sohal aren't aggressive, they can be, but they're not the devil. Ime and IMO purple tangs, some PBT, and other tangs are just as bad or worse.

My sixline always bullied my dottybacks when I used to keep both. They left my melanarus wrasses but the melanarus were first and much larger. I've also not been able to keep them for longer than a year. Not sure why, when they died I didn't care at all though. Many fish I would rather have. Mysteri would be my choice if I was shopping in that genus again.
I assure you my post is based purely on experience with this fish. But, I have heard enough about this fish to know that they are a risk. Same as some fish that like to nip on corals. Some people have absolutely no problems and others can't keep them away from their corals. Like ritter said be prepared to remove it at first signs of problems. When I introduced mine it was the last fish and was placed in a social acclimation box to see how it and the other fish responded to each other. Still no guarantees but worked for me.

kchapmanjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is this... NEVER EVER LET THEM BE THE DOMINANT FISH IN THE TANK!! My first two fish were a six line and a starry Blenny. No probs. Next fish were a mated pair of sunburst anthias. He made one floor surf e first day I bought them and and literally flayed the other over a period of 4 days. I upgraded from a 30 cube to a 120 twv tank and added three chromis, a mated pair of black ocelaris, and a 4 1/2" powder blue, and he was terrified and hid for two months after trying to confront the school of chromis and felt the wrath of a stand your ground type of schooling fish. Even after making friends with the dominant fish in the tank (powder blue), he doesn't assert any dominance anymore - except nipping at my fire fish when they can't see him. I just think that there always has to be a more dominant fish in the tank than the six line. They are the most efficient and tenacious parasite/ pest foragers I have had experience with - if placed with proper tank mates, and highly recommended. By the way, mine is only around 1 3/4" and still one bad **** if allowed to be... Just don't let them be.

SmokeyNite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first 6 line was great. Had him for 2 years and no problems, then my tank collapsed and he died. The next one I got terrorized everyone. Lost several firefish and a diamond goby because they wouldn't come out to eat. I literally had to tear my tank down, removing every rock, to get the little b-**** out!! I got another one. He did the same thing and had the same ending. My tank is still messed up!! I wish I could find one like my first one, but I don't want to take the risk again....

usc_lax9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is fine. I have lots of room for him to swim and hide which I think is key. Like a kid if he wants to be left alone he can do so, and if he can't then he gets agitated. My flame angel also keeps him in line. They go back and fourth at each other every now and then. (This also helps keep the angel from terrorizing my clowns). I have a 90 gallon so it also like I said could be involved with space

gidenski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my nano, but he was added last. He was a jerk, but not unmanageable. I moved him to the second tank and lets just say my tank is 1 year old and my aquascape is 6 months old... (yes, everything had to come out to extract him). This guy terrorized tangs 3 times his size and anything else in the tank for that matter. I took him back to the LFS where he terrorized everything in each of the 6 tanks he was placed in. Until he couldn't find an opponent anymore and made a leap for it.

It really matters on tank introduction order and the temperament of the particular fish. In my case, I didn't get the model citizen. I won't take the chance again as I think there are far better wrasses, but that's just MHO.

Attachments

• kisses.jpg
    kisses.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 92

hllywd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for quite a few years now, maybe 8 or 9... I can't remember any more. Model citizen in my previous 120 reef and in my current 210 for 4 years now. No problems whatsoever @ about 2.5".

tico821

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list of fish in my display are as follow: sailfin, yellow, hippo, naso tangs, one PJ Cardinal, one mandarin, pair of clowns, lyretial anthias, purple and red fire fish, 1 blue chromis, diamond goby, aaaannd the six line. I must say I have never had any problems with him being aggressive, I've had him in two different tanks and he's been with me for over 3 years. He is one of my wife's favorite fish because she calls him an explorer, he is always cruising in and out of the rock work.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my nano, but he was added last. He was a jerk, but not unmanageable. I moved him to the second tank and lets just say my tank is 1 year old and my aquascape is 6 months old... (yes, everything had to come out to extract him). This guy terrorized tangs 3 times his size and anything else in the tank for that matter. I took him back to the LFS where he terrorized everything in each of the 6 tanks he was placed in. Until he couldn't find an opponent anymore and made a leap for it.

It really matters on tank introduction order and the temperament of the particular fish. In my case, I didn't get the model citizen. I won't take the chance again as I think there are far better wrasses, but that's just MHO.

Awesome Pic.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back