OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was either going to do the 180 or the 220. 220 sounds great but will be an sps doninant tank so not sure if the height will hurt par on the corals in the mid to lower sections. Also the 220 I'm sure would be more likely to get a "blow out". Maybe I'm too paranoid. What does everyone not like about the overflows? Can I get water to turn over 10x with there overflow?

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm using an 1800gph pump for my return but I think it can handle more. I'm saving up for one of the vortechs, that way I can push as much as possible

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was either going to do the 180 or the 220. 220 sounds great but will be an sps doninant tank so not sure if the height will hurt par on the corals in the mid to lower sections. Also the 220 I'm sure would be more likely to get a "blow out". Maybe I'm too paranoid. What does everyone not like about the overflows? Can I get water to turn over 10x with there overflow?

Personally I like the corner overflow much better than two on the back wall. I think it's just personal preference and ascetics.

I don't see how a 220 is at more risk that a 180. They use the correct thickness according to how heigh the walls are. Is the 220 have more width or height?

Steve Tobias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Marineland 75usg. I like it, but as I move to my next build I am absolutely going with Reef ready and predrilled. I will also change the dimensions. I want more width for a wider sand bed and sea floor. I am at 21 inches now, but I will be moving to something with a width of between 24 and 30" These are all things that I would not have realized until after working with my 1st tank. I like my Marineland and I will certainly be keeping it.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Marineland 75usg. I like it, but as I move to my next build I am absolutely going with Reef ready and predrilled. I will also change the dimensions. I want more width for a wider sand bed and sea floor. I am at 21 inches now, but I will be moving to something with a width of between 24 and 30" These are all things that I would not have realized until after working with my 1st tank. I like my Marineland and I will certainly be keeping it.

I'm sure the Marineland tank he is asking about is predrilled and reef ready. They make those kinds of tank too.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be getting the ati powermodule. I use it now. It's great. Only thing I wish is that it had built in Bluetooth or wifi and could be adjusted from my phone.

Urbanknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the choice is up to the buyer. I can tell you of two personal experiences with the Marineland 300 DD. I have a friend who purchased a new 300 Deep Dimension. Set it up with Marineland stand and canopy. It leaked two weeks after he set it up. My personal 300 DD blew a seal on the bottom and I came home in time to find about 150 gallons of water on the floor 2 weeks ago! The tank was 6 months old. It was set up on a Marineland stand and canopy. To their credit, Marineland honored their warranty. Having read of so many failures using their stand, makes me wonder if the stand is not properly supported for these large tanks.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the choice is up to the buyer. I can tell you of two personal experiences with the Marineland 300 DD. I have a friend who purchased a new 300 Deep Dimension. Set it up with Marineland stand and canopy. It leaked two weeks after he set it up. My personal 300 DD blew a seal on the bottom and I came home in time to find about 150 gallons of water on the floor 2 weeks ago! The tank was 6 months old. It was set up on a Marineland stand and canopy. To their credit, Marineland honored their warranty. Having read of so many failures using their stand, makes me wonder if the stand is not properly supported for these large tanks.

I was going to say the only time I ever heard of problems we're on the DD series.

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MarineLand sales thousands of tanks and the failure rate isn't any higher that other manufactures. You hear more about their failures because they sale far more than any other. I have had their tanks for over 20 years without problems except for a 265 that had a bad seam and blew out. Marineland treated me right and went out of their way to make sure I was satisfied. I replaced the 265 with a 300DD that I have just set up and restoking (build thread up soon). By the way the front glass is low iron.

Get the Marineland, you don't have to spend a fortune for a Reef Savy to have a nice large aquarium.

Just make sure you have a quality stand and everything is setup correctly and level.

Karmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it was mentioned before but this goes for Marineland, Aqueon etc. Make sure it is predrilled, warranty is void if you drill it yourself.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back