So what have you done to YOUR tank lately?

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brought my Biopellets on line. Also, finally picked up a Hanna Phos tester and Red Sea Pro Nitrate kit. API's are very much a pain. Dishan and I settled down last weekend and built out a stocking list for both tanks. Things are looking up!

Mac

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys and your new tanks..... Geez.... we get it. you have new toys.. LOL...

Lately, I have dosed small amounts of Lanthanum Chloride into my skimmer to reduce my phosphates. seems to have worked. im basicaly just monitoring it now. I updates my RKE after adding in a pair of PC4's and th enew SL2V2. now all I need is the salinity probe.

LOL...you know you are just jealous Lindsey!

What is the general feedback on the salinity probes from DA? I havent heard much good about the APEX salinity probes.

mrsaltwatertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL...you know you are just jealous Lindsey!

What is the general feedback on the salinity probes from DA? I havent heard much good about the APEX salinity probes.

What's the feedback you've heard about Neptune's probes?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris.. I hvae seen it being hit or miss. when it works.. it works well. they have some issues with rapid random swings. from everything I read about them, the probe shoudl be in a pretty high flow area with no air bubbles as those will cause bad readings. the probes are also temperature compensating so the temperature of the calibration solution has to be identical as to what the temp probe is reading. I just need to come up with the extra $100 to get one. I have read though that the PH probe circuitry is now isolated on the SL2V2 so electrical interferences from lights dont effect it. I can see that in my own tank. I am experiencing a Temperaure stability anomolee in mine where it will not hold rock steady and may bounce up to .7° each second however normally it wavers at .2°. the SL1 is rock steady. They are ending me another unit to test that arrives today.

all in all, I need three more things to my RKE to make it do EVERYTHING I want.

1. the Salinity probe
2. a 2nd ALC so I can hack my Reef Radiance to allow the RKE to dim it. (I guess I could run it of the circuits on my current one, but I want the cycles to be seperate from what I do with my 180 LEDS.
3. the APC module so I can hack my pair of WP40s to allow the RKE to control their ramping, waving and night functions.

Now before anyone says I need to go to APEX, if I were to get one that did all that my RKE does currently, that would set me back $1000+, so unless you have that kind of cash you want to just fork over in my name, please know that my RKE works very very well for me.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 40 breeder from Synergy Rick and a Glass Holes overflow box from Bill. I hope to have it cleaned up and drilled by the end of the weekend.

Jeremy S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a breeder box floating in my tank with a couple of heads of Xenia. Then I started throwing caluepra (sp?) trimmings into the breeding box, along with hair algae sometimes. Here is a picture from the other day. Think it helps the tank?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383692166.209473.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383692177.263970.jpg

Also started removing bio balls slowly each week. Had them in the tank since it was set up over 2 years ago. Tank seems to be happier without them so far.

And I realized there's a mantis shrimp still living in my sump...

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got Dowtish's old 85 gallon in the garage doing a soak and clean while planning on how I'm going to drill it and what overflow setup to go with. Coming along!

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up an old 40 breeder to house the rock, corals, fish and nems. Drained and moved the 75 four miles down the road to Mt. Juliet and refilled (with many thanks to Bob Pike's assistance). After the tank stabilized (a couple of weeks), moved rock, corals, etc. over to the new house and into the tank. It's been slow going, but everything survived, and the parameters are relatively stable. Still looking for that bigger tank, but the whole ordeal of moving has knocked that fire down a bit....

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently quit using kalk in my ato and switched back to 2 part b ionic.kalk was awesome but I was getting to paranoid about my float valve sticking and dumping all the kalk in my tank so 2 part it is! Also got in some nice acros from AquaSD that are doing great and encrusting well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s4

p woodard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about rearranging my rock work but I'm afraid of something going wrong and losing everything

Deep Blue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out out to come off zeovit with out any major side affects.

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 40 breeder from Synergy Rick and a Glass Holes overflow box from Bill. I hope to have it cleaned up and drilled by the end of the weekend.

only 40 gallons huh? I thought you would go bigger than that...maybe closer to 60? weird...

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only 40 gallons huh? I thought you would go bigger than that...maybe closer to 60? weird...

Yeh I was shooting for closer to 60 but so far I've been unsuccessful in acquiring a rimless 36x24x16 from some dude that just moved to Murfreesboro. I think he's going to keep it just to let it collect dust :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back