Some PCB design ideas for DIY LDD-L driver based builds

kegler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe make an outline using a widely spaced dashed line?

I wouldn't want to make it look exactly like the topside. The purpose of these labels is to help one quickly locate a pin for troubleshooting and educational purposes. Keep in mind all of these pins make direct connections to other locations on the topside.

I wouldn't want to give the impression that one could place the LDD's on either side. That would result in a disaster should one place the LDD on the bottom and apply power.:eek:

OP
OP
Lingwendil

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a dashed line for the outline, and a friendly, bold note along the idea of "install drivers other side" would be clear enough and helpful ;)

I'm not in the office at much this week, but I'll try and add something along those lines soon. Most of my design time is during downtime at work so computer access is otherwise sporadic.

OP
OP
Lingwendil

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, had a chance to try some stuff. I'm not sure if dotted/dashed lines are possible natively in the EasyEDA editor, but I added a thin outline with a nice clear note to the rear of the boards-

05062019H8bottom.png

05062019H4bottom.png

Should be nice and clear, you think :)

kegler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That message should work.

But, your Pin1 & Pin24 label locations are reversed on the backside of both boards.:oops: Double check the topsides too. Your last topside image posted yesterday has it wrong too (I missed that:oops:).

Pin1 = -Vin
Pin24 = +Vin

OP
OP
Lingwendil

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. I keep getting turned around. Hard to keep track with two sides and multiple labels now, not so simple anymore :confused:

I'll swap the bottom silks when I hit the computer next. Other than that, I think we might be close to posting design files!

OP
OP
Lingwendil

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun with those boards, a few warts but perfectly usable. I'm running one on my combo fixture for my dual salt/fresh twin 2.5 gallons :)

I plan on revising the labelling and input pin arrangements on the L boards after these H boards are done.

I think the last project to tackle on the H boards currently are these PWM traces-

PicsArt_05-07-12.07.10.jpg

I want to rearrange these to get a more unobstructed current path for the Vin- pin on U4. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the boards.

OP
OP
Lingwendil

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, also as a note to myself- I'll also add the PWM pin labels to the bottom of the board, as well as the power input pin labels.

OP
OP
Lingwendil

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, I lied, added more redundant output labels to each boards underside- Ink is free, after all :)

sN8bU1gP39y.png

Also revised the SCW ground trace arrangement, it can now be left floating if desired-

7WPLZ5bUOXv.png

There. Probably done now. I'll think things over and probably release files this afternoon.

Last edited:

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the work and dedication. Looking forward to testing the 8x LDD bords out.

Tanks for all the hard work to date. Well beyond my understanding but seems it will meet my needs.

OP
OP
Lingwendil

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached the current state of the boards in two ZIP files in Gerber format.

These are currently untested but should be ready to use- I can not guarantee they are without error.

If anybody is willing to give them a look in a gerber viewer to just help me make sure they are good I would appreciate it. I can't order any to do a test run for a week or so, but want to make sure they are good before I call it an "official" release and upload them to the Github site.

Attachments

• Gerber_LDD1000H8CHANNEL_20190509105711.zip
    183 KB · Views: 209
  • Gerber_LDD1000H4CHANNEL_20190509105645.zip
    107.4 KB · Views: 209

kegler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will take a detailed look this evening. Tied up with other activities at the moment.

OP
OP
Lingwendil

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries or rush, I'm not in a hurry. I need at least one of the 8up boards so will likely order a set at some point soon, as well as a few other audio related PCBs once I pool some spare cash together.

The other current project is a 2(or 3) way Linkwitz-Riley 24dB/octave crossover PCB :)

95irf0MHjQ0.png

kegler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The other current project is a 2(or 3) way Linkwitz-Riley 24dB/octave crossover PCB :)"

I remember the analog version of those back in the day when I had a couple of homemade Klipschorns (SpeakerLab K clones) sitting in my living room. Couldn't afford to build them out of plywood at the time, so I used particleboard. Wasn't the prettiest build, but boy did they sound good. Had to part with the particleboard about 10 years ago when I moved, but I did keep woofers (15"), mid-range horns, horn tweeters and crossovers from them. Still have the plans and hope to rebuild them again someday.:D

kegler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I needed Gerber viewer. Went looking for one. The first one I tried, Gerberlogix, while it does work I wasn't happy with the graphics quality. Then I found ZofzPCB. Just what the doctor ordered.

Screenshot_LDD-H_8up_Pro.jpg

I haven't figured out all the bells and whistles yet, but this is way better than anything else I looked at. Now I need to read the user guide. More tomorrow.

OP
OP
Lingwendil

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cool! I usually use the online viewers linked to by JLCPCB, or the native 3D view in easyEDA.

Off topic, but I like how it's going so far so here's more of the crossover PCB, nice break from the LDD boards :)

OH5oQGmLfvq.png
uXtWpp4S7Z2.png
6U0iFXYj34m.png

kegler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a schematic for the LDD-H 8up Pro? While everything looks to be correct, that is based on what I know, not what was intended by design.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back