***SPRING GROW OUT CLASS 3 sign up’s***

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 1, Guests: 1)

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. That makes me feel less guilty about backing away from two frags and just sticking with one. I have very little experience with SPS, and having some issues with some softies melting away at the moment. I'm not real confident with even one right now, but I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best.
I got ya. I am just playing for fun, and will be sharing my tips along the way on my channel.

gunnarmcc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m excited to have a visual idea of what it should be doing, but I went so big during the WWC sale combined with a 4 piece battle box that it’s going to be a difficult game dialing in dosing for a little while
I got ya. I am just playing for fun, and will be sharing my tips along the way on my channel

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. That makes me feel less guilty about backing away from two frags and just sticking with one. I have very little experience with SPS, and having some issues with some softies melting away at the moment. I'm not real confident with even one right now, but I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Wait so you’re only doing one? Just want to make sure our spreadsheet is accurate.

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the plan as of now, but I’ll add a second to my current order if it’s going to throw a wrench into the works.
One is perfectly fine! Just wanted to be sure was all. I’m glad you’re in the contest either way :) There’s no requirement to double up.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice to see a full contest, but now some can jump in in the 11th hour.

hope the tank gets straightened out! It sucks to head into this without the confidence.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice to see a full contest, but now some can jump in in the 11th hour.

hope the tank gets straightened out! It sucks to head into this without the confidence.
I think it's all squared away. I had phosphates spike from .0 something up to almost .2 (I forget the exact numbers off hand) in one week. Everything else was stable other than nitrate rising from below 10 into the mid-teens. Other than possibly poor flow in certain areas long-term catching up to me, I don't know what else it could have been.

While we're at it, does anyone have some good info on Efflo care? I haven't been able to find much, and what I have found is all over the place. Super difficult, super easy, middle of the road. I have no idea. I'm hoping it's similar to plating Montipora. I've got one that went from about 2" diameter to 6" diameter in about 4-5 months, (but with my luck it's not at all similar).

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we're at it, does anyone have some good info on Efflo care? I haven't been able to find much, and what I have found is all over the place. Super difficult, super easy, middle of the road. I have no idea.
I was going to ask @Battlecorals for the current par of these myself. Since this is supposed to be the “Lemon Squeezy” category, it should be fairly easy for experienced Reefers. My guess is to keep parameters stable, and keep flow up.

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I understood the coral requirements for this contest is supposed to be easy to keep and pretty good grower. I don’t think Adam has par mapped out (could be wrong).

No exact numbers but high light, high random indirect flow. That’s what it’ll get in my tank.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was going to ask @Battlecorals for the current par of these myself. Since this is supposed to be the “Lemon Squeezy” category, it should be fairly easy for experienced Reefers. My guess is to keep parameters stable, and keep flow up.
it's great question and one I get asked very often. my tanks are shallow so large variation is pretty limited. but I see par at roughly 300-700 with 350-400 definitely being the average over most. But these efflos are extremely forgiving.

I mean you can blast them with light and flow. The colony I cut up that was in that picture had not been in the best lighting conditions at all. just gotten so big and takes up lotta space. but all the frags I cut are basking in about 350- 400 for sure and looking way better. coloring up really nicely in fact.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's great question and one I get asked very often. my tanks are shallow so large variation is pretty limited. but I see par at roughly 300-700 with 350-400 definitely being the average over most. But these efflos are extremely forgiving.

I mean you can blast them with light and flow. The colony I cut up that was in that picture had not been in the best lighting conditions at all. just gotten so big and takes up lotta space. but all the frags I cut are basking in about 350- 400 for sure and looking way better. coloring up really nicely in fact.
That explains some color shifting from previous boxes, as I keep my acros in about 250-300 par and high flow (To be expected). Lots of polyp extension though! This will at least give us a clue so we don’t bleach them out. Thanks!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's all squared away. I had phosphates spike from .0 something up to almost .2 (I forget the exact numbers off hand) in one week. Everything else was stable other than nitrate rising from below 10 into the mid-teens. Other than possibly poor flow in certain areas long-term catching up to me, I don't know what else it could have been.
Glad it's straight now.
While we're at it, does anyone have some good info on Efflo care? I haven't been able to find much, and what I have found is all over the place. Super difficult, super easy, middle of the road. I have no idea. I'm hoping it's similar to plating Montipora. I've got one that went from about 2" diameter to 6" diameter in about 4-5 months, (but with my luck it's not at all similar).
It's a new one to me, so I don't know for sure. There isn't much out there. Probably not as easy or fast as plating monti, but it was alongside poci or fire tower monti in the voting, it probably grows about as well.

gunnarmcc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That explains some color shifting from previous boxes, as I keep my acros in about 250-300 par and high flow (To be expected). Lots of polyp extension though! This will at least give us a clue so we don’t bleach them out. Thanks!
Matt what sort of color shift do you tend to get at the lower par? Just a slight lessening of vibrancy or full tonal shifts?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt what sort of color shift do you tend to get at the lower par? Just a slight lessening of vibrancy or full tonal shifts?
Depending on the individual and params, I’ve seen subtle shifts to sorta pastel colors, to full out color shift. When they shift completely, from having less light, they usually turn green or brown. They are still alive and growing, just not as they were from day one. The Battlecorals pretty much kept their color so far. Just a little lighter than before. But increasing par and flow will get them back in about 6 months or so, in my experience. I usually focus on growth first, then work on color later.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back