1. Ocellaris clownfish(2)
2. Pink Streaked wrasse(1)

Am I overstocking?

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns need a 30 gal. tank, the Pink Streaked wrasse will be fine. Go to any fish site and look at the nano fish selection to get ideas. As for over stocking 1 -2 fish is good and depends on how much you feed and make sure all food is eaten. In that size tank prams. can change fast, need to check often. Good Luck

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I am planning to stock my Fluval evo 13.5

Am I overstocking?

I would say the pair of clowns are really pushing it. If they are wild caught they might do better since they tend to stake out a small territory as their own.

OP
OP
JohnAndrr

JohnAndrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the pair of clowns are really pushing it. If they are wild caught they might do better since they tend to stake out a small territory as their own.

Sorry, if they mate they will claim that whole tank and i wouldn't want to be a fish in that tank.

Really? I’ve seen clowns in 10 gallon reefs! Any other species of clown which would fit my tank?

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns get big and if cared for, live many years. They may fit now but will be much larger in a year(at least twice the size). Just depends if you want a year tank or a multi year tank. Multi year they will get big. Also, it’s true if they mate they will claim the entire tank (for that size). For example in my 32 cube, they claimed half the tank. I have 1 cardinal and even though its larger, it does not go on their side. Also, I have bubble algae on their side, why? Because they won’t let an emerald crab near where they lay eggs.

Think of the tank long term and not what fits today since we want them to grow :). Some grow larger. Check out Liveaquaria for info on growth and tank size. Personally I would stop at two fish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smallest tank I would attempt to put a pair of clowns in would be a 20 Long (and that would be limited to Occ or Percula varieties).

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair in a 135gal and when they are nesting they protect a third of the tank which will be about 20x18 area. They mean suckers any fish other than trigger they will hit and its is vicious. I don't even clean that side of the tank until they are done.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
coralfish12g on youtube is not a good tank to replicate hes doing it for the money but really a wrasse and goby or blenny is a good fit

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse would be good but only if we are talking about a Possum or maybe a Pink Streaked.

Gunzen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep up with your water parameters and don’t overfeed you can easily keep 3-4 fish in that sized tank as well as a few critters.

There is this weird thing where people put a specific number go fish per tanks size as though all tanks ar the same. Some people put a lot of live rock in a tank. Or deep sand. Or feed heavy etc.

If you keep up with your husbandry two clowns, a watchmen/shrimp and blenny is fine.

It just depends on your commitment. Clowns and other fish do not grow that fast if the tank is small. So, you have to trade it in in a few years?

It really depends on the tank and the habits.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good rule of thumb. If you have to trade in a fish. You should just trade in the tank. With that being said. Go small. Don't try to push the limits. Yasha, Dracula, high fin red banded, w/ a pistol shrimp would work.
With no pistol shrimp. A Flame prawn(Griessingei Goby), clown goby(green or yellow), panda goby.
For a colder water fish that needs to be between 60-70° is the Catalina goby.
You maybe able to have basslet. Get it a nice cave to dwell in.
Bottom line you are not looking for a swimmer. More of a perching, cave dwelling, or sand bed chilling fish.
I would stay away from clown(s) in a tank that small.

Gunzen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good rule of thumb. If you have to trade in a fish. You should just trade in the tank. With that being said. Go small. Don't try to push the limits. Yasha, Dracula, high fin red banded, w/ a pistol shrimp would work.
With no pistol shrimp. A Flame prawn(Griessingei Goby), clown goby(green or yellow), panda goby.
For a colder water fish that needs to be between 60-70° is the Catalina goby.
You maybe able to have basslet. Get it a nice cave to dwell in.
Bottom line you are not looking for a swimmer. More of a perching, cave dwelling, or sand bed chilling fish.
I would stay away from clown(s) in a tank that small.

What? Who said that? What rule of thumb says if you have to trade in a fish, you should trade in your tank? Most fish now are tank bred. They aren’t plucking clownfish off the Great Barrier Reef. People spend thousands of dollars to have a nice aquarium, but they are supposed to be guilted into buying only what they can sustain for the fishes entire growth cycle?

This is exactly what I was saying. There are
Fish police who have this one size fits all chart that says you can have x amount of fish in x amount of gallons.

Not everyone practices the same. I would not put a Naso tang in a nano (or any tang) but I see people with thousands of dollars with of rare corals jammed into a biocube, but god forbid some guy wants 4 fish in a small tank.

If you change the water, and you buy them small they won’t grow fast in s small tank.

I worked in fish stores my whole life, I am fifty, and we had 25-30 fish in 55 gallons display tanks All year around.

Be smart, use good husbandry, but this “oh no, 2 clowns is a fluval is too much” is just silly. You can get them and inch long. Lol.

Last edited:

Gunzen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I am planning to stock my Fluval evo 13.5

Am I overstocking?

No, you can out 3-4 fish and a shrimp or two as well. That tank is big enough. You just need to feed lightly and watch your parameters.

I wouldn’t get two Tomato clowns, but two small perculas and a couple little other and a few critters is fine.

Clowns do not grow that fast in a small tank. There are so many ways to keep your water perameters consistent it will be fine. You don’t have to stare at an empty tank. Just keep up. They are tiny little fish.

I always crack up when I see the 2 fish per nano. I guess If you aren’t going to take care
it?

I will let you in n something, then same people who send you to clownfish jail have all lost a lot of animals and you should not be guilted into looking at an empty tank.

The difference between 2-3 fish in a nano is huge for the hobbyist enjoyment. If you feel you can’t keep up, bring one back. But trust me
13.5 gallons is enough for 4 fish, no problem at all.

Especially the way they are designed to move the water. And the filtration and modification capacity.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? Who said that? What rule of thumb says if you have to trade in a fish, you should trade in your tank? Most fish now are tank bred. They aren’t plucking clownfish off the Great Barrier Reef. People spend thousands of dollars to have a nice aquarium, but they are supposed to be guilted into buying only what they can sustain for the fishes entire growth cycle?

This is exactly what I was saying. There are
Fish police who have this one size fits all chart that says you can have x amount of fish in x amount of gallons.

Not everyone practices the same. I would not put a Naso tank in a nano, but I see people with thousands of dollars with of rare corals jammed into a biocube, but god forgot some guy wants 4 -5 fish in a small tank.

If you change the water, and you buy them small they won’t grow fast in s small tank.

I worked in fish stores my whole life, I am fifty, and we had 25-30 fish in 55 gallons display tanks All year around.

Be smart, use good husbandry, but this “oh no, 2 clowns is a fluval is too much” is just silly. You can get them and inch long. Lol.
First off. Settle down. You are acting silly. I had a 20g with 6 fish. Would I do it again looking back. Heck NO! Horrible idea and what I was doing was working. I had those 6 fish put in a 40B. Was that the better choice, absolutely! When the 40B cracked and they went into a 65g. Is that way better, absolutely!
I had a clown in a 20g. Put the wrong fish in there that it doesn't like. It will not give up on it, fact.
What you did was in a fish store with every accessible need. So it will be easier. Look at it in the small timer who wants low maintenance, low headaches, not everything right there to have at their beckoning need, and tanks to transfer a fish into when they want if one is acting up. I am by far the police. I just have a brain, choose to use it, and do not lead anyone in the wrong direction with bad advise. For starters and being a beginner. Get 1 fish, because I don't see any pictures of an aquascape. So I can't judge what would work. Neither can you o_O

Gunzen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off. Settle down. You are acting silly. I had a 20g with 6 fish. Would I do it again looking back. Heck NO! Horrible idea and what I was doing was working. I had those 6 fish put in a 40B. Was that the better choice, absolutely! When the 40B cracked and they went into a 65g. Is that way better, absolutely!
I had a clown in a 20g. Put the wrong fish in there that it doesn't like. It will not give up on it, fact. What you did was in a fish store with every accessible need. So it will be easier. Look at it in the small timer who wants low maintenance, low headaches, not everything right there to have at their beckoning need, and tanks to transfer a fish into when they want if one is acting up. I am by far the police. I just have a brain, choose to use it, and do not lead anyone in the wrong direction with bad advise. For starters and being a beginner. Get 1 fish, because I don't see any pictures of an aquascape. So I can't judge what would work. Neither can you o_O

I just don’t know how you decide the difference between 2-4 small fish in a tank is measurable in any way, shape or form.

I don’t think you could measure the bioload between 2/4 fish in a Weekly basis. You are going to tell me the difference between 1 small clownfish and a blenny is gong to crash your tank by the end of the week? Even with the most sophisticated equipmet out there, if you change your water, and keep your parameters monitored you would never see any appreciable difference if he added another clown and a blenny.

I am not saying 6 fish. But 3-4 instead of 1 or two is absolutely doable. And a shrimp, hermits, narsus etc all can work together.

We are talking about the 2 small fish that would completely wake up a tank. The hobby is advanced and thereare so many ways to keep stable parameters and ATO’s and skimming. 3-4 inches of fish is not going to make a huge bit of difference biologically, but can make a tank look so much more alive.

Good video about stocking a 13.5

Another beautiful tank with 4 fish 2 clowns and corals.

Last edited:

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t know how you decide the difference between 2-4 small fish in a tank is measurable in any way, shape or form.

I don’t think you could measure the bioload between 2/4 fish in a Weekly basis. You are going to tell me the difference between 1 small clownfish and a blenny is gong to crash your tank by the end of the week? Even with the most sophisticated equipmet out there, if you change your water, and keep your parameters monitored you would never see any appreciable difference if he added another clown and a blenny.

I am not saying 6 fish. But 3-4 instead of 1 or two is absolutely doable. And a shrimp, hermits, narsus etc all can work together.

We are talking about the 2 small fish that would completely wake up a tank. The hobby is advanced and thereare so many ways to keep stable parameters and ATO’s and skimming. 3-4 inches of fish is not going to make a huge bit of difference biologically, but can make a tank look so much more alive.

Good video about stocking a 13.5

Another beautiful tank with 4 fish 2 clowns and corals.

Every tank is different. Just, because one has succeeded. Doesn't mean another will. The other person doesn't know or otherwise they wouldn't be asking. I already know not to have a small tank. You don't need a video for that.
The person is asking for a "stocking list." Not advise about how to run a tank. Stick to the thread. I am not telling the person to beef up there biological media with Marine Pure. Just what fish to get with what is basic that comes with a FLUVAL Evo 13.5. So whatever argument or point you are trying to prove by policing a member of R2R. Give up the act and stick to the thread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back