Koral King

Koral King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm... I find this interesting.

The OP is calling this a "graft". In my mind, that means that the two torches of different colors have been split, and the two halves placed together.

If it is a true graft, then I come to understand this to mean the two halves have knitted together and became one. Glued together is not a graft in my mind.

To end up with a true multi-colored torch, wouldn't this have to be done by editing DNA?
Yes this would be ideal, but this is an attempt at the two organisms healing as one and then splitting as they grew and eventually forming a hybrid colony

OP
OP
Koral King

Koral King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm... I find this interesting.

The OP is calling this a "graft". In my mind, that means that the two torches of different colors have been split, and the two halves placed together.

If it is a true graft, then I come to understand this to mean the two halves have knitted together and became one. Glued together is not a graft in my mind.

To end up with a true multi-colored torch, wouldn't this have to be done by editing DNA?
This is only important because experiments like this may prompt experts to do research in hopes of creating a genetically diverse single organism, not by mixing dna, but by being created from two diverse organisms.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when you couldn't give euphyllia away, there were a couple threads about this on reefcentral. Of course the consensus was that there's more to just mashing 2 similar euphyllia together.

It's weird to see certain ideas come full circle. I'm sure it's archived somewhere on RC.

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about doing this, but not with just any two torches. My thinking is that they need to be similar growth structure and rate to get the result you want. I have green w/ purple tips and several gold varieties that have these in common but my purples do not grow even close to the same rate or have similar growth structure.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how exactly did you cut them? Straight through the mouth of each and then glue mouths next to each other? I would think if the mouths form one mouth then you might be onto something but if “it” has two mouths I think it will be separate heads of each color

OP
OP
Koral King

Koral King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So how exactly did you cut them? Straight through the mouth of each and then glue mouths next to each other? I would think if the mouths form one mouth then you might be onto something but if “it” has two mouths I think it will be separate heads of each color
Yes, two similar torches of good health, size, and shape were selected to be cut, and the cuts were performed as perpendicular to the mouth as to increase the chance of the individual half torch frag living but also increase the chance of grafting together. Cutting through the mouth is the preferred method for most grafts, sps aside.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think it can be called a successful graft until it starts actually growing grafted polyps instead of just two colors of polyp squished together, but I suppose it's worth experimenting with, and it does look neat! Do update if it starts doing anything interesting.

OP
OP
Koral King

Koral King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4620D812-A75E-43DE-8B33-079BB5F88B41.jpeg
E0532B2D-0DAC-4656-BFEF-B30C505CE859.jpeg

11 days update: torch is doing great and colors seem to be mixing along the middle instead of a sharp line between the two halves, as the flesh is healing up and possibly healing together. Looking good!

OP
OP
Koral King

Koral King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m also interested in why you tried this… is there any specific reason or is it just because you wanted to?
Mainly because we wanted to, but also because this may prove to be an effective way to propogate euphyllia faster in captivity so less wild specimens need to be caught. Not by grafting, but just by fragging straight through a single polyp to make two from one. The chances are low but we are having very good results. Tissue necrosis and sloughing was expected but we have been surprised to see that all 4 fragments of the original 2 torches are doing good and healing well.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m okay with experiments like this. In the plant world gardeners plant two bushes next to each other and tie the branches together to encourage them to form a living hedge-wall. The term used is pleaching. I don’t think the plants blend coloration at the intersections like you are reporting after ~2 weeks of close living.

Im kind of interested that no one has raised the “Mad Scientist” or Dr. Frankenstein argument against this ethically sketchy experiment.
I’m not going to go there, and I hope the joining of two unwillingly life partners is successful as I’m not concerned with any law or commandment being broken with the experiment upon these coral life forms. They have demonstrated that they will ttolerate being glued to rocks and this seems to be a logical next step

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the coral look at night when the polyp is fully receded in the skeleton? I'm curious to know how the new skeleton is growing since it got grafted.
Great question I'd love to see a picture.

OP
OP
Koral King

Koral King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How does the coral look at night when the polyp is fully receded in the skeleton? I'm curious to know how the new skeleton is growing since it got grafted.
Not sure as we leave the shop as the lights go off but I can take a picture before they come on in the morning

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back