F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure as we leave the shop as the lights go off but I can take a picture before they come on in the morning
Any updates to this project? hoping to see some pics of the polyps without being extended and some updated extended pics.

This also brings up the question of could we do this with hammers and frogspawn? and i dont just mean individual colors together, i mean fusing a hammer and frog together.

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates to this project? hoping to see some pics of the polyps without being extended and some updated extended pics.

This also brings up the question of could we do this with hammers and frogspawn? and i dont just mean individual colors together, i mean fusing a hammer and frog together.
I have this anecdotal experience with two different species of fimbriaphyllia:

I bought a green frogspawn with a sweeper. I bought a green hammer. I bought a different strain of frogspawn also. This was from reefapalooza so they were also from different people. The two frogspawn could touch without any problems from the beginning. When I attached them to the rock the first time the sweeper of the frogspawn touched the hammer and made it retract all the way into the skeleton. Then it came out like it was ok. Now the frogspawn doesn't have a sweeper.

I was under the impression that the nematocysts(coral stinging cells) only sting when they don't recognize the extended family member they just met for the first time. If I remember correctly I came up with this hypothesis when I was a child and learned that there were MASSIVE strides in the reefing hobby recently(in my opinion this hobby is currently stagnating). Also the coral bleaching reefs.

There are some fever dream experiments I plan on doing that are as cruel as cutting a polyp in half to try and frankenstein it together.

I also have some that are pretty chill like I have a yellow hammer and a different hammer super close. The yellow is maybe growing baby heads and has super long tentacles compared to the other hammer. The other hammer is either dying or splitting. The center is sunken into the skeleton and the outside is normal. It's been like this for 3 days if it dies it dies and I blame the yellow hammer as a new anecdotal story.

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This youtube video my Inappropriate Reefer shows a naturally grafted goni and an artificially grafted hammer I think it would be relevant to this discussion:

One thing I want to say is the owner of the goni said he was growing it for 5 years. Different coral grow at different rates. Something to consider if you sell or buy grafted coral in the future.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it on your Instagram, always wanted to try it for myself unfortunately I don’t have extra torches and a saw lying around.
Looks very promising.

QiKuaMai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... I find this interesting.

The OP is calling this a "graft". In my mind, that means that the two torches of different colors have been split, and the two halves placed together.

If it is a true graft, then I come to understand this to mean the two halves have knitted together and became one. Glued together is not a graft in my mind.

To end up with a true multi-colored torch, wouldn't this have to be done by editing DNA?
image.jpeg

Isn't it amazing

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

Isn't it amazing
It looks alright but if I’m honest, pure Torches that have different colours without forcing it (such as Dragon Souls and Indonesian Golds) are nicer…

QiKuaMai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it isn't. It's actually found from aussie shipment. Cool NGL.

I can't say I disagree. Love the gold variants.

OI000079.JPG
I nearly came home with 3 torches for £200 ($242) which seems expensive when actually there was an Indo Gold, an Ultra Green and what seemed to be another Gold but with purple tips. I just wish my tanks had room for the three.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it isn't. It's actually found from aussie shipment. Cool NGL.
I do have to admit that makes the one you showed a little bit more special than the one from Coral King as the one you showed is likely to be wild and naturally grew like that.

Brennin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chance of flesh fusing is low, but it is still a possibility, and our hopes are high! You are right though, it is not simple and many people are unwilling to take the risk. We hope that we can learn from this in the future too! Trying to document all of our experiments to share with our fellow reefers and motivate others to follow.
Why is everyone being negative on this. Worst case scenario you have something kinda entertaining. Best case scenario you get something incredible and new for the industry. Yurple Tangs are rare but it came from experimenting.

Brennin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... I find this interesting.

The OP is calling this a "graft". In my mind, that means that the two torches of different colors have been split, and the two halves placed together.

If it is a true graft, then I come to understand this to mean the two halves have knitted together and became one. Glued together is not a graft in my mind.

To end up with a true multi-colored torch, wouldn't this have to be done by editing DNA?
But everything grafted was just stuck together at one point.. grafted montis are done similarly

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am curious to see the results after extensive growth of 10+ heads. If it looks near what I am picturing in my head, I want one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to see the results after extensive growth of 10+ heads. If it looks near what I am picturing in my head, I want one.
It’s unlikely all 10+ heads would look the way this one head looks. In reality to get a half n half head, it has to grow against the line where the grafts were glued together.
But everything grafted was just stuck together at one point.. grafted montis are done similarly
I cant remember where but I remember seeing a wild grafted monti. These are often done by putting two different coloured montis near eachother and letting them grow out to graft - my old LFS had a stunning naturally grafted monti this way.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back