Sudden Large Black Spots on Multiple Fish, Spreading Quick

adomic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I could really use some assistance on figuring out what is going on suddenly in my tank. This is my first post, so I apologize if I miss any important info.

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a new dark area on one of my clowns. Later in the evening I noticed something similar on my convict tang. This morning I there were 2 or 3 black areas on my tomini tang as well as one on my sailfin. There looks like there might be one on my leopard wrasse but I'm not sure on this. I've include the best pics I could get of the first 4 mentioned. Respiration rate seems normal. All but the tomini appear to be eating normally. So far I've only given Selcon soaked food.

• Reef tank. Around 2.5 years old with a reset done 5 months ago when moving
  • 120 gallon + sump
  • params
    • temp 77-78
    • salinity 35 ppt
    • Nitrate 5mg/L
    • Phosphate .08 ppm
    • Alk 8.2 dKH
    • PH 8.0-8.3
1714061995622.png

1714062007414.png

1714062016294.png

1714062025053.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adomic Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello All, I could really use some assistance on figuring out what is going on suddenly in my tank. This is my first post, so I apologize if I miss any important info.

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a new dark area on one of my clowns. Later in the evening I noticed something similar on my convict tang. This morning I there were 2 or 3 black areas on my tomini tang as well as one on my sailfin. There looks like there might be one on my leopard wrasse but I'm not sure on this. I've include the best pics I could get of the first 4 mentioned. Respiration rate seems normal. All but the tomini appear to be eating normally. So far I've only given Selcon soaked food.

• 120 gallon + sump
  • params
    • temp 77-78
    • salinity 35 ppt
    • Nitrate 5mg/L
    • Phosphate .08 ppm
    • Alk 8.2 dKH
    • PH 8.0-8.3
1714061995622.png

1714062007414.png

1714062016294.png

1714062025053.png
May be coral or anemone stings
Are fish eating and breathing normal?
If so, reef safe ruby rally pro should help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• 120 gallon + sump
  • params
    • temp 77-78
    • salinity 35 ppt
    • Nitrate 5mg/L
    • Phosphate .08 ppm
    • Alk 8.2 dKH
    • PH 8.0-8.3
1714061995622.png

1714062007414.png

1714062016294.png

1714062025053.png

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm not sure that the spots have a common cause.

The clownfish has what we term "bruising". The cause of that is not known, it only shows up on the white parts of clownfish. Sometimes it goes away, but in some cases it gets worse and the fish ends up dying. I'm not sure "bruising" is the best term for this, as that implies it was hit be something to cause the bruise and that isn't the case.

The convict clearly tangled with another tang (the split fins and slice marks). The sailfin may have spine damage as well, but I'd suspect that fish as being the aggressor to the convict. I can't see the tomini clear enough to say what's going on there.

Jay

OP
OP
A

adomic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm not sure that the spots have a common cause.

The clownfish has what we term "bruising". The cause of that is not known, it only shows up on the white parts of clownfish. Sometimes it goes away, but in some cases it gets worse and the fish ends up dying. I'm not sure "bruising" is the best term for this, as that implies it was hit be something to cause the bruise and that isn't the case.

The convict clearly tangled with another tang (the split fins and slice marks). The sailfin may have spine damage as well, but I'd suspect that fish as being the aggressor to the convict. I can't see the tomini clear enough to say what's going on there.

Jay
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yeah the convict has been getting picked on here and there by the tomini. I wish I could get better photos. For now I think I'm going to monitor since they are mostly eating and acting normal. Still have 5 other fish with no spots, so will also be able to monitor them for spread.

-Adam

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back