Switching copper mid treatment

zelik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchaed 2 small tangs (hippo and naso) that are 2" big in QT right now. I have been using Cuprion (dosage 0.20) but didn't realize how impossible it is to test for since salifert tests do notntrst 0.20. I just dosed according to the recommended dosage 1 drop/gallon. Today I finally got my Hanna HR Cu tester and it shows the the Cu is only at 0.13. I understand I have to start over and I'm ok with that.

My question is can I switch to another form of copper? I finally got my order of Copper power delivered through friend who flew in from the US (I live abroad and they don't sell anything but Cuprion). Do I need to change out the water completely so copper is at 0 before I switch or can I switch and just measure to the copper power therapeutic level? Or should I just stick with Cuprion and try raising to 0.2

I'm currently on 8th day. They had no spots but now a few spots of ich have shown up.
Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've purchaed 2 small tangs (hippo and naso) that are 2" big in QT right now. I have been using Cuprion (dosage 0.20) but didn't realize how impossible it is to test for since salifert tests do notntrst 0.20. I just dosed according to the recommended dosage 1 drop/gallon. Today I finally got my Hanna HR Cu tester and it shows the the Cu is only at 0.13. I understand I have to start over and I'm ok with that.

My question is can I switch to another form of copper? I finally got my order of Copper power delivered through friend who flew in from the US (I live abroad and they don't sell anything but Cuprion). Do I need to change out the water completely so copper is at 0 before I switch or can I switch and just measure to the copper power therapeutic level? Or should I just stick with Cuprion and try raising to 0.2

I'm currently on 8th day. They had no spots but now a few spots of ich have shown up.
Thank you
Best is chelated form- coppersafe at 2.25-2.5 after a major water change and using a copper kit such as Hanna brand
Add aeration during treatment

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not mix the two types of copper you have. COpper safe and copper power appear to have similar formulations and are easier to administer in my opinion. You will need to completely remove any traces of the cuprion from the QT before adding Copper Power. Go 30 days at 2.25 to 2.50 measured with your Hanna instrument.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thank you
1. You should not generally switch.
2. If you have to switch - just switch - do not let the copper level go to zero - or into toxic range

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not mix the two types of copper you have. COpper safe and copper power appear to have similar formulations and are easier to administer in my opinion. You will need to completely remove any traces of the cuprion from the QT before adding Copper Power. Go 30 days at 2.25 to 2.50 measured with your Hanna instrument.
Yes - this is correct, mixing ionic and chelated copper needs to be avoided. I would aim for a Cuprion (ionic) copper dose of less than 0.05 before dosing with chelated copper. Work quickly though, as the fish will not be protected during the switchover process.

Jay

OP
OP
Z

zelik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So I'll just do a big water change first. Appreciate the input.

Just a side anecdote: no wonder no one quarantines in this country (Taiwan). Cuprion is so hard to use. None of the test kits can really show the detail/resolution needed and no LFS carry the Hannah tests.

Heck, I even got a lecture by a nutso LFS about why I shouldn't qt and how any failures I have buying new fish are my fault for poor filtration. What? He told me that his fish are living great... But I checked his water and he's running everything at 1.015. With a low amount of 0.07 copper.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So I'll just do a big water change first. Appreciate the input.

Just a side anecdote: no wonder no one quarantines in this country (Taiwan). Cuprion is so hard to use. None of the test kits can really show the detail/resolution needed and no LFS carry the Hannah tests.

Heck, I even got a lecture by a nutso LFS about why I shouldn't qt and how any failures I have buying new fish are my fault for poor filtration. What? He told me that his fish are living great... But I checked his water and he's running everything at 1.015. With a low amount of 0.07 copper.

A surprising number of LFS run mild hypo and low dose copper in their systems. Hypo is a REALLY poor choice....we see it a lot in the US where a person buys a fish at a LFS at 1.015 and tries to acclimate the fish to full salinity at home and ends up losing the fish!

LFS typically do not hold their fish long enough to run into fluke disease issues.....

Jay

OP
OP
Z

zelik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A surprising number of LFS run mild hypo and low dose copper in their systems. Hypo is a REALLY poor choice....we see it a lot in the US where a person buys a fish at a LFS at 1.015 and tries to acclimate the fish to full salinity at home and ends up losing the fish!

LFS typically do not hold their fish long enough to run into fluke disease issues.....

Jay
I drip but how long should I drip for such a big change?

So far been a week, seem ok, but had to reset copper treatment as cuprion is being absorbed or dissipated. No rocks just PVC and some sponge filter floss

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip but how long should I drip for such a big change?

So far been a week, seem ok, but had to reset copper treatment as cuprion is being absorbed or dissipated. No rocks just PVC and some sponge filter floss
You cannot effectively drip for that large of a change, it is better to raise the SG that far over a few days.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back