T5 hybrid and light “zones”?

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36” Aquatic Life dimmable T5 hybrid fixture (with 2x ReeFi UNO 2.0’s). It currently has 2x Blue+ and 2x Coral+ bulbs in it. I really love the aesthetics but feel that the Coral+ bulbs are bit whiter than I like and have them dimmed way down to like 40% at peak. I’m debating a different combo and thinking about removing one of them and swapping it out for a Purple+….running them B+, C+, P+, B+ in that order from front to back. My concern is will it create color zones in the front and back? Any other combos to try that would be less white but still allow for viewing natural fish and coral colors?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36” Aquatic Life dimmable T5 hybrid fixture (with 2x ReeFi UNO 2.0’s). It currently has 2x Blue+ and 2x Coral+ bulbs in it. I really love the aesthetics but feel that the Coral+ bulbs are bit whiter than I like and have them dimmed way down to like 40% at peak. I’m debating a different combo and thinking about removing one of them and swapping it out for a Purple+….running them B+, C+, P+, B+ in that order from front to back. My concern is will it create color zones in the front and back? Any other combos to try that would be less white but still allow for viewing natural fish and coral colors?
The purple + will add just as much white look as the coral + but will highlight purple a little more. If you want a bluer look run 3 b+ and a coral +. I run a 6 bulb with 4 blue+ a coral+ and actinic.

OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple + will add just as much white look as the coral + but will highlight purple a little more. I'd you want a bluer look run 3 b+ and a coral +. I run a 6 bulb with 4 blue+ a coral+ and actinic.
Thank you for that! I have no experience with T5 aside from the short time that I’ve been running this fixture. I’ll either go that route or swap a C+ out for an actinic as I also have LED’s doing mainly blues and “UV”.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that! I have no experience with T5 aside from the short time that I’ve been running this fixture. I’ll either go that route or swap a C+ out for an actinic as I also have LED’s doing mainly blues and “UV”.
The actinic will bring out some color in some coral in my experience

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'm not a fan of the P+.
Buy an actinic and another blue plus.
Try replacing the P+ with either of those bulbs and see if you like it.

Or if u want it really blue, run 3B+ and 1 actinic

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a full T5 (8x) and own today I changed from 4 B+ 3 C+ 1 P+ to 4 B+ 4 C+. I tried for 2 month the P+ but I didn't like very much and only one type ,for example 1 P+, causes asymmetric colors.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just not a fan of the purple hue they give the tank.
However, if you like them, I have 2 unused bulbs I'll sell ya! ;)

OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other question was, will there be distinctive “color banding/zones” by running something like B+|Actinic |LEDS|C+|B+? I had AI Blades over a smaller tank and started with a single Grow and a single Glow and it definitely created different light zones. I’m hoping this isn’t the case with these T5’s which are mounted 9” off the water.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other question was, will there be distinctive “color banding/zones” by running something like B+|Actinic |LEDS|C+|B+? I had AI Blades over a smaller tank and started with a single Grow and a single Glow and it definitely created different light zones. I’m hoping this isn’t the case with these T5’s which are mounted 9” off the water.
Absolutely not. Will blend well. Look at my tank thread third page. That is 4 b+ 1 coral+ and 1 actinic only on the left side and a xr15 running ab+ on the right side under the t5

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back