OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a single young tang as well as rabbitfish. If they like hair algae, they won't go hungry. I don't have any algae eaters and it shows. :face-with-monocle:

My main concern is for my mature pair of blue ring angels. How likely is it that once mature, a tang would knife my angels?
Most tangs don’t bother angels unless it’s a low stocked tank (less competition and a more realistic ability to “defend their territory”). Of course there are exceptions.
Risky tangs with angels are sohol and powder blue
This can be an exception to the above. That said, my sohal and powder blue don’t bother any angels and barely bother tangs. That is because they’re in a 10 foot tank with tons of other tangs and angels. Not realistic to kill off competition - to many others.

Also luck/individual temperaments of course factor in.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koles can be jerks and may be a risk

Adding one tang to one sole tang is often risky. The current tang feels like a king. He has (successfully in his mind as the only tang) defended his territory from other tangs. Adding one more tang in that scenario is probably one of the higher risks- regardless of the species of tangs in question.

To contrast - a tank full of tangs - adding more is far less risky as they’re used to the competition. I hope this makes sense and happy reefing!
It does make sense

I am wondering if the much smaller size and different family might help with that situation

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Understand this is hit and miss and you can get lucky in some cases

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if the much smaller size and different family might help with that situation
It may but less likely with a sole tang now.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you guys tell me, should I cancel that Biota yellow tang order while I still can?

I would like to try, but these guys are a massive pain to catch if it goes sour.

My 120 is mostly just nano fish - with the only fish of size that hang out in the middle being a Copperband, a blue eyed kole tang, two clowns, a flasher wrasse, and a couple of bangai.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you guys tell me, should I cancel that Biota yellow tang order while I still can?

I would like to try, but these guys are a massive pain to catch if it goes sour.

My 120 is mostly just nano fish - with the only fish of size that hang out in the middle being a Copperband, a blue eyed kole tang, two clowns, a flasher wrasse, and a couple of bangai.
I think the risk is high and the cost of failure is high. Literally and figuratively. Small tang won’t be able to handle much abuse. If you’re dead set on trying, an acclimation box COULD help especially since it’s a small tang- but no guarantees.

Mixing tangs is always a risk, but I see the risk as high.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Place in acclimation box and see how others react to its presence or pass on it for now

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the risk is high and the cost of failure is high. Literally and figuratively. Small tang won’t be able to handle much abuse. If you’re dead set on trying, an acclimation box COULD help especially since it’s a small tang- but no guarantees.

Mixing tangs is always a risk, but I see the risk as high.
I have @melev 's peacekeeper acclimation box which the tang would go in.

Last question - will behavior through the acclimation box be a reliable indicator, or is it likely the existing kole tang will be totally cool until the yellow is released and then go nuts?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have @melev 's peacekeeper acclimation box which the tang would go in.
Last question - will behavior through the acclimation box be a reliable indicator, or is it likely the existing kole tang will be totally cool until the yellow is released and then go nuts?
For me has been a good indicator- When the occupants are displaying a “ trying to break the door down “ behavior- you then have a clue how things will turn out

Last edited:

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the acclimation box put up a mirror as well. I was surprised how well it worked.

stambo3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have had a 125 gallon aquarium for about 5 months. It currently has 2 clowns and one Mimic Tang. I want it to add more Blue Tang along with Silver Spot Tang/ or Scopas Tang /. Is this a good idea or will it become a problem. Thank you !

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have had a 125 gallon aquarium for about 5 months. It currently has 2 clowns and one Mimic Tang. I want it to add more Blue Tang along with Silver Spot Tang/ or Scopas Tang /. Is this a good idea or will it become a problem. Thank you !
You can safely add them and mimic tang AKA Chocolate tang may be testy at first although I find them mild tempered

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks ago I added 3 small Biota Yellows (1.25-1.5”) to my 5x2x2ft tank which had a 3” Purple Tang. The purple chased them here and there but nothing serious. Today I’m noticing a lot of nipping at fins now, even with nori readily available. It’s out of no where, the purple has gone very aggressive. I’m going to try the mirror trick. I hope I don’t have to remove the purple (maybe a time out in the sump for a week might deter it?).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2 weeks ago I added 3 small Biota Yellows (1.25-1.5”) to my 5x2x2ft tank which had a 3” Purple Tang. The purple chased them here and there but nothing serious. Today I’m noticing a lot of nipping at fins now, even with nori readily available. It’s out of no where, the purple has gone very aggressive. I’m going to try the mirror trick. I hope I don’t have to remove the purple (maybe a time out in the sump for a week might deter it?).
Unfortunately the purple as well as pbt and sohal tangs are known to be uninviting
I isolated my purple for over two weeks a year ago and it’s now one of my model citizens

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the purple as well as pbt and sohal tangs are known to be uninviting
I isolated my purple for over two weeks a year ago and it’s now one of my model citizens
They seem to understand what a time out is huh?

how big of a tank did you isolate it in?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a territory reset for them. When they return to the tank, they don't see it as their same territory. I have used that with tangs before when they did not take to well to a new tank addition. Put them in a 20g for two weeks and change up the rock pattern when they return and its an all new place to them.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on Biota Yellow Tang

Its doing well and the Kole tang is completely indifferent

Kept in acclimation box for 2 days to observe and noted there was no interest or aggression

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So updating … I added one small mirror (6x6”) which distracted the purple somewhat, waiting on a 12x9” mirror today to add.

What I don’t understand is the yellows still school close to the purple, despite the purple still engaging and chasing. Why can’t the yellows just stay on the opposite side away from the purple? lol

I’m going to monitor another day or two once I add the bigger mirror before moving the purple to my sump for a 2 week time out.

Should I not even bother attempting to use a net and go out and get a food trap mechanism?

Purple bully:
IMG_3488.jpeg

Yellow on the right taking the abuse (2 of the tangs came with somewhat beat up fins, so it’s not all damage from the purple - other one healed up a bit as it’s not really getting picked on the same):
IMG_3487.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back