Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited 2 Blue Hippo Tangs in my current tank. They get along fine and swim/hang together most of the time.

Is this going to be an issue long term though - i have been told that you cant keep 2 of the same type together?

I have two blues that get along fine. I noticed they generally sleep on opposite sides of the tank though, and It’s a 300g so they have plenty of space.

Rollins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a trio of tangs to my 150 at the same time to increase success. I already have a 2” tommi in my frag tank. A 2” yellow just graduated QT today, probably going into my display sump for the 6 weeks to qt the last tang.

What are my options for the 3rd tang? I am leaning towards a purple. Any advice appreciate.

current stock - 4 anthias, 2 clowns, jawfis, chromis, hawkfish, 2 blennies, diamond gobie

Thank You!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I want to add a trio of tangs to my 150 at the same time to increase success. I already have a 2” tommi in my frag tank. A 2” yellow just graduated QT today, probably going into my display sump for the 6 weeks to qt the last tang.

What are my options for the 3rd tang? I am leaning towards a purple. Any advice appreciate.

current stock - 4 anthias, 2 clowns, jawfis, chromis, hawkfish, 2 blennies, diamond gobie

Thank You!
Purple and yellow may squabble at times but should co-exist. I have 6 yellows in with my purple, While pricey, Gem tang would be an excellent addition as would be chocolate or Lavender

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

hanas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get opinions on adding a 3” Gem Tang to my existing 150g tank with an established 3” Hippo tang. The Gem is ready to come out of QT, and wondering if I should trap and remove the Hippo prior to adding the Gem or just add and see if there are no issues.

Obviously trying to mitigate any abuse on the Gem upon introduction but also don’t want to unnecessarily trap the Hippo and reintroduce a month later for no reason.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get opinions on adding a 3” Gem Tang to my existing 150g tank with an established 3” Hippo tang.
I actually think you *should be okay there. I know the gem is a prize, so an acclimation box for the new gem isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't trap the hippo.

hanas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, would you skip the acclimation box and just add the gem? I know my last Hippo, over a decade ago, cared less about the addition of a purple tang. Different body shapes are key and they were the same size as well.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wanted to get opinions on adding a 3” Gem Tang to my existing 150g tank with an established 3” Hippo tang. The Gem is ready to come out of QT, and wondering if I should trap and remove the Hippo prior to adding the Gem or just add and see if there are no issues.

Obviously trying to mitigate any abuse on the Gem upon introduction but also don’t want to unnecessarily trap the Hippo and reintroduce a month later for no reason.
Gem tang very peaceful and no issue with hepatus blue. Its one of my model citizens. I'd recommend quarantine or at least a 60 minute ruby rally pro bath.

1684944274655.png

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are weird and I cannot figure them out. I recently added a Purple and a Gem to my 230g with a 2-month resident Sailfin. All fish are generally the same size with the Gem being the smallest. Used an acclimation box for 3 days and nobody paid any attention to the fish in the box. Released the new fish along with a bunch of food and it went "ok".

Sailfin naturally exerted dominance over the new additions. No tail strikes or anything but a lot of rushing, flairing, chasing, backing up into and generally aggressive posturing. But by day 3 the 3 fish were swimming together and eating off the same nori clip (I have 3 separated around the tank), however, the Sailfin still bullies the other 2 especially around feedings.

I now see the PT hiding in corners and the Gem showing her stress coloration often.

I have thought about trying to catch the sailfin and put her in the acclimation box as a "timeout" for the other fish. Is this a good idea (if even possible) or is there a better/other option?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish are weird and I cannot figure them out. I recently added a Purple and a Gem to my 230g with a 2-month resident Sailfin. All fish are generally the same size with the Gem being the smallest. Used an acclimation box for 3 days and nobody paid any attention to the fish in the box. Released the new fish along with a bunch of food and it went "ok".

Sailfin naturally exerted dominance over the new additions. No tail strikes or anything but a lot of rushing, flairing, chasing, backing up into and generally aggressive posturing. But by day 3 the 3 fish were swimming together and eating off the same nori clip (I have 3 separated around the tank), however, the Sailfin still bullies the other 2 especially around feedings.

I now see the PT hiding in corners and the Gem showing her stress coloration often.

I have thought about trying to catch the sailfin and put her in the acclimation box as a "timeout" for the other fish. Is this a good idea (if even possible) or is there a better/other option?
Yeah- The sailfin is your problem child and it will likely even with isolation never stop.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I disagree, If you’re not seeing overt aggression I’d be shocked if the sailfin is related to the stress you’re seeing. I’m guessing it’s parasite derived. Any white spots, “dusting”, scratching, heavy breathing?

Do you quarantine all fish (including those already in the tank were they quarantined?)

Zebrasoma tangs rarely hold long grudges. I don’t think I’ve ever been unsuccessful at keeping them together from memory. If so, probably 1/200 times. Usually the first day or two is it. Occasional disagreements break out between my 4 zebrasoma tangs in my 180 but at worst it’s a torn fin and months of peace. Pecking order dispute almost certainly.

Zebrasoma tangs can also live with ich and some other parasites somewhat frequently but when you add new hosts (and likely new parasites if not QT) - it gives the parasite the ability to reproduce and thus attack more aggressively. New additions with their higher stress are more susceptible but as parasite numbers grow they can finally get at the strong native fish with an assumed resistance.

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, If you’re not seeing overt aggression I’d be shocked if the sailfin is related to the stress you’re seeing. I’m guessing it’s parasite derived. Any white spots, “dusting”, scratching, heavy breathing?

Do you quarantine all fish (including those already in the tank were they quarantined?)

Zebrasoma tangs rarely hold long grudges. I don’t think I’ve ever been unsuccessful at keeping them together from memory. If so, probably 1/200 times. Usually the first day or two is it. Occasional disagreements break out between my 4 zebrasoma tangs in my 180 but at worst it’s a torn fin and months of peace. Pecking order dispute almost certainly.

Zebrasoma tangs can also live with ich and some other parasites somewhat frequently but when you add new hosts (and likely new parasites if not QT) - it gives the parasite the ability to reproduce and thus attack more aggressively. New additions with their higher stress are more susceptible but as parasite numbers grow they can finally get at the strong native fish with an assumed resistance.
Thank you. I am a bit ashamed to admit that I am dealing with ich on the PT and treating the tank as such. Signs are improving though.

I still see all the tangs eating during the multiple feeds and the PT/Gem adapting to the pellets more and more so I take that as a good sign.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Idk that the sailfin will ever chill out! Mine is my problem child of the 7 tangs I have.. I’m going to add an Achilles soon and if it bullies him he will have to go.. the rest of my tangs are cool and get along besides the blue eye Kole every once in awhile will throw a fit but he gets checked then chills out haha…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back