4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So best to rehome?

What about adding a bigger tang (Chocolate or PBT)? Or is this just pushing the agression level up?
If you’re not seeing a lot of overt aggression, no I wouldn’t. Zebrasoma don’t usually hold long grudges. If they’re own of very few tangs in a large tank all tangs can get nastier/more ornery.

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I will stay the course for now and get the ich under control. Really hope it works out as the fish are beautiful but their health and happiness is more important than my wishes to keep them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So best to rehome?

What about adding a bigger tang (Chocolate or PBT)? Or is this just pushing the agression level up?
You may have to consider doing so. I as you know have 24 tangs and Desjardini (sailfin) is now Second head jerk with My dussomieri now being the worse. My Purple was at one time and is now super mellow. PBT can be as bad if not worse in behavior than sailfin and get large and quickly. Mine went from 4 to 8" in 5 months. My Chocolate also model citizen and does not get as large

chocolate6.jpg

Last edited:

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a plan for 5 tangs:
Two-spot bristletooth
Gem
Chocolate
Sailfin
PBT

Started with a Sailfin, juvi Chocolate and a Yellow-eyed Kole as opportunity purchases. Kole was a jerk and had to be rehomed, Chocolate passed due to bloat issues leaving the sailfin. This brings us up to date with the addition of the PT and Gem (another opportunity purchase).

I still very much want to add a Chocolate as I find them amazingly beautiful. The PBT was my wife's choice but has recently relented on this option (until she sets up her FOWLR aggressive tank).

I believe I will be taking a moment to let things settle and reassess in a bit.

The advice I get here is incredibly valuable and I try to follow it but also suffer from my own lack of impulse control as well as my wife's :)

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't even try to add another tang with my big fatty Sohal.

First fish I added after the Sohal was a Pink Tail trigger which it almost terrorized to death in a matter of hours. I took it out put it in quarantine for a day and did some research.

Put it back in in a breeder box with lights off for 2 days, it's as if the Pink Tail doesn't exist.

I've added a large Bird Wrasse and 3 Soldier Fish since with no issues, keeping the lights out for 2 days.

I'm not sure if this is from the Sohal or any of the other predators but again the Sohal doesn't ever go after the Bird.

I really would like to add an Achilles tang but I'm not sure I want to risk it.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through this thread a few times. Lots of great info. I have a 210g 72"x24"x29". I have all of the following fish currently housed in all my other tanks and moving them to the 210 now that its ready. I am planning a 2wk QT on all the fish before they move to the 210 (been working on getting it ready for a year). I have had most of the fish in the list for over a year.

Lavender Tang
Purple Tang
Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Blue Hippo tang
Pair of Blue Jaw/throat Trigger
Lunar Wrasse
Foxface
Pair of Black Osc Clowns
6 green Chromis
2 molies
6 line wrasse
Engineer goby

My Purple and Naso are together currently. The other Tangs are all housed signally in my different tanks. I have had the Naso, Purple and Lavender Tang for over a year. The PBT for about 6 months but I just got the Hippo and is very young 2" or so.

I am planning to release the mollies, engineer goby, chromis, clowns and 6 line first. Followed by the Foxface and Lunar Wrasse, then Triggers and last the tangs. I was going to introduce the tangs all at once, but I was wondering with the hippo being so much smaller than the rest of the tangs, should I release the hippo earlier?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have read through this thread a few times. Lots of great info. I have a 210g 72"x24"x29". I have all of the following fish currently housed in all my other tanks and moving them to the 210 now that its ready. I am planning a 2wk QT on all the fish before they move to the 210 (been working on getting it ready for a year).

Lavender Tang
Purple Tang
Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Blue Hippo tang
Lunar Wrasse
Foxface
Pair of Black Osc Clowns
6 green Chromis
2 molies
6 line wrasse
Engineer goby

My Purple and Naso are together currently. The other Tangs are all housed signally in my different tanks. I have had the Naso, Purple and Lavender Tang for over a year. The PBT for about 6 months but I just got the Hippo and is very young 2" or so.

I am planning to release the mollies, engineer goby, chromis, clowns and 6 line first. Followed by the Foxface and Lunar Wrasse, then Triggers and last the tangs. I was going to introduce the tangs all at once, but I was wondering with the hippo being so much smaller than the rest of the tangs, should I release the hippo earlier?
Your other post was just answered

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.

So far I have the following in my 210
Lavender Tang
Purple Tang
Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Pair of Black Osc Clowns
12 green Chromis
2 molies
6 line wrasse
Engineer goby
3 Lyre tail Athinas
Lawnmower Blenny
Racoon Butterfly

The release of the tangs together went pretty well. I did end up releasing the Naso tang into the tank first by a week. Let him get established then released the rest of the tangs. He stood up for himself well and kept the cave that he claimed. The Purple, Lavender and PBT were having frequent stand offs, but they avoided whipping out the blades for the most part. They all settled down pretty well. The Naso is most chill. Purple ended up losing the match up for domenice to the lavender and PBT. The lavender and PBT are about equal right now, but that will change I am sure as the PBT grows up. Currently the PBT is less than half the size of the lavender.

I just released the pair of Blue Jaw Triggers two days ago. I had planned to add them before the tangs but they got delayed in getting to me by Dr Reefs by over a month and I did not want to continue to hold up the tangs in 20G observation tanks. So they were in the tank for about 4 weeks before the Triggers arrived. I kept the triggers for 2 more weeks in observation and then added them in an acclimation box for a week. The tangs all ignored the triggers. Then I released them two days ago and the PBT tang was having none of them. Any time the PBT saw one of them she was shooting after it and immediately spinning around to try to slice the triggers. I ended up keeping the lights off and curtains shut tight for two days. Turned lights on this morning and PBT was right back at it. As soon as she saw one of them she was after them. I turned the lights back off and ran to Walmart and grabbed a few hand mirrors. I placed one dead center and front of the tank and the second on the right side panel of tank. the triggers were hiding in caves in that section so I wanted to see if I could keep the PBT and lavender from messing with the triggers. It has worked amazingly. The lavender and PBT spend all of their time in front of the mirror in the center of the tank. The triggers have started to come out and are swimming around the tank now and not getting bothered by the tangs. The athinas and chromis spend a lot of time in front of the second mirror. Funny to watch the athinas throw up their spikes at the mirror.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update.

Lavender Tang
Purple Tang
Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Pair of Black Osc Clowns
12 green Chromis
2 molies
6 line wrasse
Engineer goby
3 Lyre tail Athinas
Lawnmower Blenny
Racoon Butterfly

The release of the tangs together went pretty well. I did end up releasing the Naso tang into the tank first by a week. Let him get established then released the rest of the tangs. He stood up for himself well and kept the cave that he claimed. The Purple, Lavender and PBT were having frequent stand offs, but they avoided whipping out the blades for the most part. They all settled down pretty well. The Naso is most chill. Purple ended up losing the match up for domenice to the lavender and PBT. The lavender and PBT are about equal right now, but that will change I am sure as the PBT grows up. Currently the PBT is less than half the size of the lavender.

I just released the pair of Blue Jaw Triggers two days ago. I had planned to add them before the tangs but they got delayed in getting to me by Dr Reefs by over a month and I did not want to continue to hold up the tangs in 20G observation tanks. So they were in the tank for about 4 weeks before the Triggers arrived. I kept the triggers for 2 more weeks in observation and then added them in an acclimation box for a week. The tangs all ignored the triggers. Then I released them two days ago and the PBT tang was having none of them. Any time the PBT saw one of them she was shooting after it and immediately spinning around to try to slice the triggers. I ended up keeping the lights off and curtains shut tight for two days. Turned lights on this morning and PBT was right back at it. As soon as she saw one of them she was after them. I turned the lights back off and ran to Walmart and grabbed a few hand mirrors. I placed one dead center and front of the tank and the second on the right side panel of tank. the triggers were hiding in caves in that section so I wanted to see if I could keep the PBT and lavender from messing with the triggers. It has worked amazingly. The lavender and PBT spend all of their time in front of the mirror in the center of the tank. The triggers have started to come out and are swimming around the tank now and not getting bothered by the tangs. The athinas and chromis spend a lot of time in front of the second mirror. Funny to watch the athinas throw up their spikes at the mirror.
Typical powder blue but seems all normal and will pan out except with powdered jerk, I mean blue

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.

Lavender Tang
Purple Tang
Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Pair of Black Osc Clowns
12 green Chromis
2 molies
6 line wrasse
Engineer goby
3 Lyre tail Athinas
Lawnmower Blenny
Racoon Butterfly

I am so glad it worked out! Be sure to post pics! :)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through this thread a few times. Lots of great info. I have a 210g 72"x24"x29". I have all of the following fish currently housed in all my other tanks and moving them to the 210 now that its ready. I am planning a 2wk QT on all the fish before they move to the 210 (been working on getting it ready for a year). I have had most of the fish in the list for over a year.

Lavender Tang
Purple Tang
Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Blue Hippo tang
Lunar Wrasse
Foxface
Pair of Black Osc Clowns
6 green Chromis
2 molies
6 line wrasse
Engineer goby

Sorry for the delay in response, I didn’t get the notification. How did things work out?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on adding a biota Yellow tang to my tank that has a mid size kole tang?

Right now everyone is chill with eachother. Clowns, tang, copperband, wrasse - everyone gets along.

It's a 120g display

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any thoughts on adding a biota Yellow tang to my tank that has a mid size kole tang?

Right now everyone is chill with eachother. Clowns, tang, copperband, wrasse - everyone gets along.

It's a 120g display
Koles can be jerks and may be a risk

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a single young tang as well as rabbitfish. If they like hair algae, they won't go hungry. I don't have any algae eaters and it shows. :face-with-monocle:

My main concern is for my mature pair of blue ring angels. How likely is it that once mature, a tang would knife my angels?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I want to add a single young tang as well as rabbitfish. If they like hair algae, they won't go hungry. I don't have any algae eaters and it shows. :face-with-monocle:

My main concern is for my mature pair of blue ring angels. How likely is it that once mature, a tang would knife my angels?
Hair algae consumption with these fish is hit and miss

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
But still, I wonder if after maturing the odds are high or are the odds low that a tang would go after angelfish.
Risky tangs with angels are sohol and powder blue

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a 120g display
Adding one tang to one sole tang is often risky. The current tang feels like a king. He has (successfully in his mind as the only tang) defended his territory from other tangs. Adding one more tang in that scenario is probably one of the higher risks- regardless of the species of tangs in question.

To contrast - a tank full of tangs - adding more is far less risky as they’re used to the competition. I hope this makes sense and happy reefing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back