OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may not get eaten, but they may starve. Most fish don't pick on pipefish because they are composed of what looks like Styrofoam. You can't really autopsy them like other fish as inside they don't look like a living creature and I am not sure how they even live.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice updates Paul, and as usual a fun read my friend. The Blue Striped Pipes are such a unique little fish, looking forward to seeing them in future updates. I have been trying to organize and 'Old Salt's / Old Fart's' get together at least for our regional Reefkeepers out here but would be so fun to have you out and join in as well. If/when I ever get it fully planned and enough commitments for will let you know just in case it would work out for you. We have a Beach House or early Retirement House on Puget Sound here with probably the best beach in the entire region so am planning a HUGE SEAFOOD BBQ as incentive plus a few really well appointed local Micro-Breweries to be tapped for beverages.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand this correctly, you are calling me an Old Fart. Well to me that is a compliment. Micro breweries and sea food, what could be bad. Let me know. My summers are pretty well planned out with boating events but I would like to join you if I could get the time to go. We make these boating trip plans a year in advance. But you did say some magic words. :fear::wave:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up Puget Sound. Man that is not exactly walking distance.

SharkGirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah one perk of being laid off is the free time! Just read this entire thread! That tank looks fantastic. Great ideas. I really want to make one of those broken bottles. If I have any questions I know to ask you!

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We must be the same age reading thru your thread. I got into freshwater when I was 10 and SW in my 20's. I remember everything you mentioned as I had fish stores for many years.
I am very impressed with the type and long life of your fish, that's what I am most proud of as well, old fat happy fish.

What a journey, from bleached coral skeletons to lush growing SPS corals we never dreamed we could cultivate.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remember Howdy Doody you are an old Fart :hat:

Gregcoyote, that is the meaning of success. Keeping these creatures alive, happy and spawning for what is presumed to be their lifespan. And if even one person keeps a specific specimin for a number of years, all of the same specimins at least have the propensity to live as long. 2 or 3 years for anything but a seahorse stinks.

Last edited:

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not agree more. Yes I do remember Howdy and even Tom Terrific and his mighty dog Manfred.

I hear folks claim success with housing a fish after 6 months and thinking if it made it to 5 years that they succeeded when the facts are that fish generally lives 10-20 years in the wild. A properly cared for aquarium fish should live even longer because of lack of predation.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are really an Old Fart and you are correct about the fish living for just a few years. Virtually all fish except in the seahorse or some smaller cardinals and gobi family live at least ten years. The majority of the rest should live into their 20s.Even hermit crabs and urchins live to ten years as I have kept them longer than that. Generally if a fish lives for a week or two, it should live it's full lifespan. Of course if you feed it flakes and pellets every day, it may have died already so turn around and look at the thing. Is it dead? The secret is live food. Feed fish live food such as worms and they will outlive you. But it is a secret so don't tell anyone. Also, all of those other problems with diseases and what not will also go away but most people resist that idea and would rather go on these disease threads with all sorts of fish ailments. I have some fish medications but I don't think I could get them out of the bottles, that's how old they are. I have some copper and some formalin, both of which look to be 30 or 40 years old. I also have some things that make the water nice fluorescent green or blue. I have some metheline blue but I even forgot what that is used for. I now use it for blue dye if I want to make something blue.There is also some green stuff. It is a beautiful color and I wish I knew what to do with it. I think I have some sulfur, but I think that was for my fresh water fish so that maybe from when Nixon was President or maybe even Eisenhower (he was after Lincoln who was the guy who got shot, no not the Pope but he was also shot) FishRoomLady. Your the Supermodel aren't you? I am not sure if I could go but I think you should go. Or maybe they all want to come here to New York. We can go boating and collecting. Maybe even SCUBA diving as I still have my stuff.Of course it would have to be on a weekday as most of my weekends are booked up. My working friends only go out on weekends but us smart people are retired so we can go anytime.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really sad but I think some aquarists don't want their fish to live 10 yrs much less 15-20 because they get bored with their fish and want to keep buying new ones. Its fine with them that they live only 2-3 years because when they die they open up a space in the aquarium for new ones, especially something new, hybrid and exotic. Its sad.

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your comments are spot on (I'm a diver too). Disease in my opinion is primarily caused by the fish's immune system crashing (it's slime coat). Stress and improper diet causes this. If the environment is right (sufficient swimming room, feeding and live stock selections) then the fish simply doesn't get ill. I haven't had a sick fish in 20 years. Proof is in the pudding.

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really sad but I think some aquarists don't want their fish to live 10 yrs much less 15-20 because they get bored with their fish and want to keep buying new ones. Its fine with them that they live only 2-3 years because when they die they open up a space in the aquarium for new ones, especially something new, hybrid and exotic. Its sad.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you on this. Not all us but far more than we realize.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people simply don't know that goldfish should be living far longer than a few months to a couple of years. It's become so commonplace that people think it's normal, and often are told so. About 95% of the people here that I talk to are shocked to find out how long-lived they truly are when properly cared for.

Last edited:

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People rarely take much trouble with gold fish, but you're right. Some Koi live for decades. If you're going to take a creature out of its environment for your pleasure, the least you can do is your best to give it a long life.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the oldest recorded goldfish was over 150 years...

I have a pod that is 30. Sally, Sally Pod. Here is her picture---------------> . <--------------- She doesn't look as good as she once did as the skin on her knees is all wrinkled.

Its really sad but I think some aquarists don't want their fish to live 10 yrs much less 15-20 because they get bored with their fish and want to keep buying new ones.
That may be the same people who get tired of their wife's and girlfriends. I have given plenty of fish away when I tire of them or they get to large. Some went to public aquariums but I never wanted one to die just so I could get another one.
I tried to give my wife to the New York aquarium but they said she was to high maintenance with all the shoes she needs and all.

Your comments are spot on (I'm a diver too). Disease in my opinion is primarily caused by the fish's immune system crashing (it's slime coat). Stress and improper diet causes this. If the environment is right (sufficient swimming room, feeding and live stock selections) then the fish simply doesn't get ill. I haven't had a sick fish in 20 years. Proof is in the pudding.​

My fish also never get sick, like Taylor Swift said "ever". (Yes I know who she is) Ich is a non issue as is just about any other ailment. It all comes down to food and stress. I still have fireclowns over 20 years old and they are still spawning like they were made to do. People ask me all the time, will freeze dried worms work. Like, No. They will not. It takes longer to feed fish correctly as the worms will not take a bus to my house from the store and they didn't build their own worm keeper and the whiteworms didn't Google themselves and jump a cab to get to my house. The worms also didn't feed themselves and then jump into my tank. I also spawn mandarins, clown gobies and bluestriped pipefish. They are spawning from the brine shrimp I hatch every day. They also don't come to my house by themselves or hatch themselves. There is a little work if you want your animals to live a long time and testing for PO4 and alk ain't going to do it.

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're the first guy in ages that grows his own live food I have encountered on the forums. I only wish I had the time to do that. I use to have a freshwater hatchery and the little secret to spawning was always live foods. You are a perfect example of what I have been preaching for decades. The fish can take care of themselves if you'll only give them the tools to do so. Corals are a bit trickier, but I also have some of those over 20 years old.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back