Tank birthday, 47+ years

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul- I remember reading an article about your tank in a magazine years ago- some time in the 90s I guess. Great to see it is still going!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have that magazine. When I saw that article I was riding home from work on the railroad and I was thinking, Wow, this guy has a tank just like mine. Then I realized, I wrote it. It was published months after I submitter it and I forgot all about it. I think that was in FAMMA magazine.

This picture was with that article.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I was watching TV (no Sissy reality shows or anything like that) and my reef is next to my couch. I looked over at the tank and got the horrors.
The water had the same visibility as the East River that passes Manhattan. It was white with detritus. Then I noticed the problem. The copperband was having a rumble with the fireclown. Those two never got along and both grew up in the tank, but the fireclown is over 20 years old and the copperband is only a couple of years old so he is in better shape, but the clown is more experienced, has more friends and is meaner. The copperband grew a little large for the 6' tank and he likes to take long swims completely around the tank while the fireclown is a home body and just wants to lay in his Grand Marnier bottle and entice the female who is a real Babe, but she is a tease.
This time, the copperband took a short cut which took him practically into the Grand Marnier bottle and the clown went berserk. He was hissing and snarling while the copperband was pointing his dorsal spines at him, they spun around and dug a big hole out of the gravel, detritus was everywhere and it looked like the snow storm we had a few weeks ago. The rest of the fish just sat and watched in awe, waiting for a nice amphipod to become dislodged from the ruckus. Both fish emerged unscathed but I could tell they were both out for blood. Everything is calmed down now and I think they are waiting for me to leave as I can see the copperband sneaking up in the dark behind the bottle. There are some dark places in my tank where there are no torch corals and the copperband knows these places.
The bluestriped pipefish are staying on the far side of the tank as they don't have much defense from these two, larger fish and most of the hermit crabs are staying inside their shells. No one seems to know when another rumble will begin or who will come out victorious.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a little concern this week. (and I don't get concerned often) Actually a month ago I had a physical and I asked them to check me for asbestos and agent orange exposure. I asked because most of the guys I served with in Nam died of lung cancer and for almost fifty years I either installed or worked around asbestos while is was being removed. I even have an asbestos license. So they gave me a cat scan and it showed something.
If a cat gets a Cat scan do they call it a "Selfie" I am not sure. But anyway I went to a lung guy today and although the asbestos shows up in my lungs in pockets, it is not doing anything bad except forming some nodules. He told that is normal with people who worked with asbestos and nothing to worry about "yet". So that is great news as I always wanted my reef to get to at least fifty years old and it looks like I will live long enough for that to happen as long as I don't get run over by a Supermodel with a Mazda.

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a little concern this week. (and I don't get concerned often) Actually a month ago I had a physical and I asked them to check me for asbestos and agent orange exposure. I asked because most of the guys I served with in Nam died of lung cancer and for almost fifty years I either installed or worked around asbestos while is was being removed. I even have an asbestos license. So they gave me a cat scan and it showed something.
If a cat gets a Cat scan do they call it a "Selfie" I am not sure. But anyway I went to a lung guy today and although the asbestos shows up in my lungs in pockets, it is not doing anything bad except forming some nodules. He told that is normal with people who worked with asbestos and nothing to worry about "yet". So that is great news as I always wanted my reef to get to at least fifty years old and it looks like I will live long enough for that to happen as long as I don't get run over by a Supermodel with a Mazda.

I was held back to be used as a hostage during Vietnam. But I tried to get into the Air Force to fly. They didn't want me. Glad the medical prognosis is good, asbestos and agent orange are not to be messed with, but many didn't know all the facts at the time. I use to run cables in steam tunnels for the university here, it was coated in asbestos. I wore a mask at least.

Reef Geek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, you talk about curing pop-eye but don't mention how you did it? I have had a six line wrasse that has had this for quite some time (like two years) I haven't done anything for it because other than his eye he seems perfectly healthy and smiling so not sure if I should even bother and stress him since he seems fine as do all of my other fish.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has had pop eye for 2 years I am not sure you can cure him. It is normally fluid or gas behind the eye and you can pull that out almost instantly with a hypodermic needle placed in the tissue that is stretched next to the eye. The eye goes right back where it was supposed to be. But if it is that long, it maybe is something solid by now and I am not sure it would come out with a needle.

I have cured pop eye dozens of times like that and I never lost or blinded a patient.

Hinecken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started reading this thread last night and just finished now. It's been an interesting and fun read. I've been lurking for a few years, but this thread finally made me register and comment. Reading this only reinforces what I love about the hobby. While I may be quite a few years younger than you, I've learned a bit in the 23 years I've been reef keeping. The most important thing I've learned is that there are many different ways to keep a thriving reef. You and I have very different methods, and I'm sure we could get into some excellent debates. At the end of the day, we're both successful and I respect and admire your dedication and contribution to the hobby. Thanks for posting :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am honored that you put your first post here. I am quite sure we have different methods as all the methods changed since this hobby started and I have not yet found anyone who uses my methods, they are probably all wrong. So I would love to debate with you. :brick:

Hinecken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I find interesting is how we both believe the natural way is the best way, but have polar opposite ways of achieving the same results. I look forward to reading more about your tank and methods. Might even start my own thread.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a long thread. This month my tank is TOTM on a South African forum and it is also on Saltwater Smarts. I guess every 40 years they put your tank up for something so in another 40 years it will probably be up again. :brick:

gordie141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew i reached the end! Cool thread tank and guy. thumbs up from all the way across the water and up a bit, Scotland.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back