Tank Crashed What To Do Next!

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It pains me to write this but I lost 25% of my corals I was growing over the last 3 years in less then 2 months. The only person to blame is myself and that's the only way one can improve. Watching your coral die slowly is a painful site. What lead up to this and how can I prevent this in the future.

The first problem I had was my new Hana checker broke causing a spike in alk.
After fixing the issue I was beginning to run low on salt so I started doing water changes every 2 weeks instead of one.

I stopped testing every week because I bought a new dual red sea dosser who needs to test as often when you have a machine that does it for you. I was planning a trip and went to bulk reef supply and bought my 2 part dose and magnesium. I had started to see signs of my coral getting stressed prior to my trip which is never a good sign. Finally tested my magnesium and it was 950 which is really low and I wasn't dosing Mag on the regular. I put in carbon and hoped the tank would be fine when I came back.

The mistake I didn't catch till later was I stupidly bought sodium bicarbonate instead of calcium. Changed the supplement in a hurry and didn't read the package because I normally dose soda ash. Came home to my calcium in the mid 200s and my alk at 14. It took me almost 3 more weeks after dosing mag to look up my order history when my calcium wouldn't raise. My nitrates had also raised to around 30. This caused some brown algae to start growing on already stressed corals.

The down fall of my tank is I got to comfortable because things were going well.

Now I am kinda tight on cash but sucked it up and bought a new 5 stage RODI and calcium and a box of fritz salts. $326.91 later at bulk reef supply and a box a salt I bought a couple weeks ago I am slowly going to get my tank back to what it is through water changes. Still waiting on the RODI and calcium since I just figured it out last night.

The moral of the story is don't give up and don't forget the little things. If I would of tested more and did more water changes I probably would of been fine with buying the wrong supplement but because I did multiple things wrong it caused a mini crash. Check your pumps and heaters do preventive maintenance every few months and avoid the problem.

Keep on reefing guys this hobby has ups and downs. Even if something fails you its up to you to have a plan and be proactive rather then reactive. Wanted to share this since none of my friends or family have the same interest as me in this hobby.

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It pains me to write this but I lost 25% of my corals I was growing over the last 3 years in less then 2 months. The only person to blame is myself and that's the only way one can improve. Watching your coral die slowly is a painful site. What lead up to this and how can I prevent this in the future.

The first problem I had was my new Hana checker broke causing a spike in alk.
After fixing the issue I was beginning to run low on salt so I started doing water changes every 2 weeks instead of one.

I stopped testing every week because I bought a new dual red sea dosser who needs to test as often when you have a machine that does it for you. I was planning a trip and went to bulk reef supply and bought my 2 part dose and magnesium. I had started to see signs of my coral getting stressed prior to my trip which is never a good sign. Finally tested my magnesium and it was 950 which is really low and I wasn't dosing Mag on the regular. I put in carbon and hoped the tank would be fine when I came back.

The mistake I didn't catch till later was I stupidly bought sodium bicarbonate instead of calcium. Changed the supplement in a hurry and didn't read the package because I normally dose soda ash. Came home to my calcium in the mid 200s and my alk at 14. It took me almost 3 more weeks after dosing mag to look up my order history when my calcium wouldn't raise. My nitrates had also raised to around 30. This caused some brown algae to start growing on already stressed corals.

The down fall of my tank is I got to comfortable because things were going well.

Now I am kinda tight on cash but sucked it up and bought a new 5 stage RODI and calcium and a box of fritz salts. $326.91 later at bulk reef supply and a box a salt I bought a couple weeks ago I am slowly going to get my tank back to what it is through water changes. Still waiting on the RODI and calcium since I just figured it out last night.

The moral of the story is don't give up and don't forget the little things. If I would of tested more and did more water changes I probably would of been fine with buying the wrong supplement but because I did multiple things wrong it caused a mini crash. Check your pumps and heaters do preventive maintenance every few months and avoid the problem.

Keep on reefing guys this hobby has ups and downs. Even if something fails you its up to you to have a plan and be proactive rather then reactive. Wanted to share this since none of my friends or family have the same interest as me in this hobby.
Sorry for your loss. I do think BRS should include magnesium. Alkalinity, calcium on the bags they sell

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss! It's always hard to lose our precious creatures but thanks for sharing! We mostly just read/see the success stories so when something goes horribly wrong we feel like failures because we think we're the only person that messed up in the community. The reality is we've all been through it whether it's a freshwater setup or marine. I'm glad to read you're turning things around and are staying the course. Please keep us updated as to your progress and whether you need help fixing things.

OP
OP
C

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss! It's always hard to lose our precious creatures but thanks for sharing! We mostly just read/see the success stories so when something goes horribly wrong we feel like failures because we think we're the only person that messed up in the community. The reality is we've all been through it whether it's a freshwater setup or marine. I'm glad to read you're turning things around and are staying the course. Please keep us updated as to your progress and whether you need help fixing things.
It's easier to write about the good things but wanted to help prevent a future mistake for a fellow reefer! Ill take a picture of the tank now and do a before and after. In this hobby though its going to take a couple months to get things right.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. And for sharing.

your experience has helped me: I’ve decided I’m going to keep a notebook to record things like parameter trends, test results, dosing amounts, when I resupply on dosing stuff, brand name, etc.

I also am going to play around with this reef keeping app I have that lets you log stuff like that. But I need that physical record too just in case

edited because apparently I’m losing the ability to write coherently ;Dead

Last edited:

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true! I feel like I'm always trying to remind myself of this when I look at Instagram, too. It's nice to see beautiful tanks and take inspiration from that, but it can give you a false sense that you're the only one to experience struggles, when that's just not true. It's nice to have a community like the one here to turn to, and it's good to see and learn from each others' mistakes as well as get inspired by the good stuff.

Spartan1218

Lost on Aisle 18
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to read this. I hope you are able to have a full recovery and get everything back in line again soon! As someone new to the hobby, all of these issues I read about is what is giving me pause about putting together a tank. Good luck!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad you lost corals but great you humble enough to accept responsibility and are doing things to correct stuff so hats off to you ^_^

I'm new at 10 months and my plan was keep up with maintenance but once started tank I've started slacking on things like clean power heads at wc day or least now and then and take apart pump for protein skimmer and clean out but not cleaned this pump once so you are my reminder I need to do what I need to do as preventative measures better than waiting till breaks.

I do like belted coyote said wants to so and keep notes if testing to see trends so good with some things but nada with others so thanks again and good luck bringing your tank back to glory ^_^

OP
OP
C

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. And for sharing.

your experience has helped me: I’ve decided I’m going to keep a notebook to record things like parameter trends, test results, dosing amounts, when I resupply on dosing stuff, brand name, etc.

I also am going to play around with this reef keeping app I have that lets you log stuff like that. But I need that physical record too just in case

edited because apparently I’m losing the ability to write coherently ;Dead
That will be me in the future I used to use an app on my old tank but when I upgraded I stopped. Everything was growing so well I got over confident.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true! I feel like I'm always trying to remind myself of this when I look at Instagram, too. It's nice to see beautiful tanks and take inspiration from that, but it can give you a false sense that you're the only one to experience struggles, when that's just not true. It's nice to have a community like the one here to turn to, and it's good to see and learn from each others' mistakes as well as get inspired by the good stuff.
That's exactly it! We learn from each other and that means the good stuff as well as the not so good stuff.

OP
OP
C

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to read this. I hope you are able to have a full recovery and get everything back in line again soon! As someone new to the hobby, all of these issues I read about is what is giving me pause about putting together a tank. Good luck!
If you plan it out better you will save in the long run. I quarantine everything now for corals and fish which was my first mistake early in the reef tank. If you were not in the hobby and looked at my tank you would see a few dead coral and some brown algae but the fish and a lot of the coral are fine. Only someone in the hobby would notice the crash. I strive for making my tank above average but I started with a few softies and fish. It takes years to get to where I am unless your loaded. Enjoy a simple tank and work your way up.

Spartan1218

Lost on Aisle 18
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be FOWLR for me at first until the tank is established and I know a bit more. I have had a lot of freshwater time, but coming up to speed on saltwater has proven quite difficult. All in time.

OP
OP
C

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be FOWLR for me at first until the tank is established and I know a bit more. I have had a lot of freshwater time, but coming up to speed on saltwater has proven quite difficult. All in time.ss
Nothing wrong with Fish only tanks much easier then reef tanks. Just decide early on if you want ICH or not in your tank I choose to quarantine everything wet and treat all my fish with copper. You can manage it most tanks have it and its on the extreme end of what I do to prevent it. I quarantine everything wet for 5 to 6 weeks and fish 1 week no copper two weeks copper haven't had ich in 4 years since.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss .
sadly most of us have made costly mistakes once ….,,

moving forward , knowing the cause and it’s easily corrected .

I have a daily planner ( calendar ) I write in it every time I test , dose , water change , change filter floss , light bulbs ,

even when I add frags or fish .
I keep a list of additives used and even the name and brand of food .
Knowing when something was changed just in case everything goes south .

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss .
sadly most of us have made costly mistakes once ….,,

moving forward , knowing the cause and it’s easily corrected .

I have a daily planner ( calendar ) I write in it every time I test , dose , water change , change filter floss , light bulbs ,

even when I add frags or fish .
I keep a list of additives used and even the name and brand of food .
Knowing when something was changed just in case everything goes south .
I'm planning on getting one these daily planner but as I'm a tight Yorkshire man ,I'm waiting till next year starts so get most out if it as only 1.5 months left this year ( and it only costs £ 5 or so ) but still will wait till 2022 lol
But on serious note its good plan and what I want to do as can just look date and see whatever you've done

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on getting one these daily planner but as I'm a tight Yorkshire man ,I'm waiting till next year starts so get most out if it as only 1.5 months left this year ( and it only costs £ 5 or so ) but still will wait till 2022 lol
But on serious note its good plan and what I want to do as can just look date and see whatever you've done
So tight my pocket book squeaks when I open it .
Blow off the dust before making any purchases .
But this purchase was a must .
aging has proved to be working its hardest on my memory ( man brain forgets dates , times , )

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%

Back