*** Tank Talk with Top Lids & Avast Marine Giveaway!! WIN a Plank Autofeeder and Custom Lid for Your Tank!! ***

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Reflect on the past year in your reefkeeping journey. What were your highs and lows? Any significant changes or additions to your tank? Share your thoughts and experiences as you get ready to begin another year in the hobby.

It has been almost 3 months since I decided I want to get into the reefing hobby. I've always had to conception that reef keeping in itself would be difficult and challenging, but I never realized that the planning of it is just as difficult. At times it was stressful trying to decide what equipment to get, how big should I go, how I'm going to do this and do that, and at the same time trying not to spend too much. My high point of this journey would have to be getting the majority of the equipment I needed/wanted out of the way along with the tank/sump/stand. My low point is I wish I could of gone with a bigger tank :). Overall, the past 3 months of getting to finally owning an aquarium soon has been a journey and looking forward to what will come next.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Reflect on the past year in your reefkeeping journey. What were your highs and lows? Any significant changes or additions to your tank? Share your thoughts and experiences as you get ready to begin another year in the hobby.
Had a very up and down kind of year. Mental health caused my tanks to get forgotten about a couple times. Which in turn lead to issues which algae and diatoms. But slowly got everything back either under control or in the process. Keeping both my reef tanks in the main areas of the house helped too. Getting them back also helped with my depression, their my way to self medicate.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on wood this started out and has ended as a great year. I had let my tank grow out for years just maintaining it not giving it much attention. Did a big clean out in February selling off a ton of coral many volley ball size pieces and started adding new corals to the tank again. Also started dosing which has made a huge difference in coral health and growth. Also got back active in the forums which has been great.

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: What are your reefing resolutions for the new year? Whether it's trying a new technique, adding specific corals or fish, or upgrading your tank's equipment, share your goals for your reef hobby in the upcoming year.

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Avast Justin and @Top_Lids a good tank talk topic with so.much Christmas travel?

TANK TALK: Being Christmas time and so many people go out of town to visit family, what are your plans for extended vacations or work trips? Do you use a local reefer, a family member, or do you trust entirely on automation on your aquariums?

OR similarly

TANK TALK: Since so many people travel for Christmas, do you have plans for your tanks when you're gone? Do you use any electronics to keep tabs on the aquarium or do you trust everything to chance?
We traveled a week for Christmas this year and am havin my mom feed the fish since they don’t really like flakes or pellets and also dose it. We went over it with her before we left and also she video calls me everyday and we go through it again.

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our highs were having corals come back healthy after jumping in way too quick. Had a leather we thought was a goner but he’s all good now. And then also just the excitement of starting this hobby was a high in itself. Lows were the fish losses for sure. We will be working a lot on maintenance and equipment upgrades this next year. We would like to upgrade filtration with a sump and skimmer and dump the HOB one we have now.

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: What are your reefing resolutions for the new year? Whether it's trying a new technique, adding specific corals or fish, or upgrading your tank's equipment, share your goals for your reef hobby in the upcoming year.
My resolutions will be to get some Talbots in there or maybe even get a nano tank with a clown and nem. Also just expanding my knowledge will be a great goal for me this new year with how new I am to this hobby. I’d like to get more torches and gonis as for a coral go.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's almost a year ago I set up my current 100 gallon tank. Setting that up has Got to be the high light. That or finding that 3d printing can get me all the store credit I need to sustain my hobby.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m just trying to keep everything stable this year!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This years resolution is to spend significantly less money. Got. Anew baby and therefore lost a quarter of the household income.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To have fun with it

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
One of my highs was getting everything back in order and growing again after my low of the year which was wiping out quite a bit of coral from a hasty PVC modification that led to some PVC primer being dripped into the tank

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to put a wifi switch on the main return pump. I typically cut it for 5 minutes when I feed; however, I also have a bad habit of leaving the house or going to bed without activating it back. Now I have an hourly cycle that only switches the pump on every hour, just in case I forgot it in the off position amfor the 1,000th time.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Reefing Resolution is to get the new tank and get it set up! I'll go from there once it's in place but for now I'm just looking forward to receiving it! Since I'm downsizing (if I tear down my current tank, we'll see) probably no new fish for a bit except the one I bought yesterday.
IMG_20231226_155125345.jpg

I want to get the new tank and settled and hopefully start raising some SPS that will thrive. Currently going through a tank "funk" in the 125 so I'm not really adding corals there.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of minor tweaks I want to add, like an upgraded lid and light to grow SPS a little better. Also, looking for maybe 1 more fish or shrimp to add but it's a nano so I need be careful. Miss the days of 20 fish swimming around in a bigger tank.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefing Resolution is to get the new tank and get it set up! I'll go from there once it's in place but for now I'm just looking forward to receiving it! Since I'm downsizing (if I tear down my current tank, we'll see) probably no new fish for a bit except the one I bought yesterday.
IMG_20231226_155125345.jpg

I want to get the new tank and settled and hopefully start raising some SPS that will thrive. Currently going through a tank "funk" in the 125 so I'm not really adding corals there.
I just picked up a War Paint Goby the other day but he hides a lot.

Attachments

• 20231223_191012.jpg
    20231223_191012.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 13

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just picked up a War Paint Goby the other day but he hides a lot.
Mine ended up riding the overflow and was never the same. I assume he died because I only saw him for 2 days after and haven't seen him th last 3 or 4 months. Warpaint stay smaller so I went with the Citron this time - significantly larger fish.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted the Citron but like you said, gets too big and the LFS had 2 that were the size of angel fish.
Mine ended up riding the overflow and was never the same. I assume he died because I only saw him for 2 days after and haven't seen him th last 3 or 4 months. Warpaint stay smaller so I went with the Citron this time - significantly larger fish.
I wanted the Citron but like you said, gets too big and the LFS had 2 that were the size of angel fish.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas off the sand bed and onto the rocks! Been putting this off for 8 months!!

Otherwise, getting a clam a d setting up its lighting for a happy clam.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back