The 5 foot build… It’s happening!!

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess whilst we wait in suspense for this tank… let’s see what fish would be great choices!

Straight away I’m thinking potentially an Achilles in the future.
Can't wait to see this build. I have a 5 ft tank coming soon too and could use your build as a guide.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see this build. I have a 5 ft tank coming soon too and could use your build as a guide.
Feel free, it’ll be an interesting ride as I have no idea what I’ll do. I could go for some more dream fish but I could also focus more on coral now.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh gosh. I don’t know. Weird ones?
Engineer goby
Dwarf fuzzy
Rooster wasp
@Goaway may be able to sell you on a ribbon.
Not willing to chance this beauty.
Marcosi Tilefish (Hoplolatilus marcosi).
IMG_9251.jpeg

Colors match taste. I wouldnt risk it.

Congrats on the new build!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Onto the first of the moves over… first things being moved are the Hammers.
As I’ve lifted them up there has been some polyp bailout - possibly BJD. So as a precaution I’m dipping them all.
Unfortunately we’ve lost 1 so far - the Gold Hammer.
image.jpg

The plan is to move them into the nano temporarily then back into this tank.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next set in dip! Nothing too bad from this group so hopes are higher with this set. I will keep them far away from my Torch though and split this set up from the first group.
image.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, without confirmation of the tank arriving I’m not tearing down this tank yet. I’m hoping tomorrow the tank will be there but I’m not too sure as I’ve not had a call to confirm if the tank has or hasn’t arrived.
So tomorrow if I come back with a stand (hopefully I do) then the tank will be coming down.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s here!! I’m building the cabinet tonight and then tomorrow or Monday the tank should be arriving.
It looks huge compared to the 4 foot. I got a sneak peek as we had to remove the sump to lift the tank.
IMG_9916.jpeg

But that’s what an extra height and width will do to a tank hey?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And setup number 2… Not as fancy as the first one but better for the Foxface and more active swimmers. Albeit they’ll only be in these setups for maybe 15 hours total.
IMG_9921.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one electric shock today!
Plus a half empty (now empty) tank!
IMG_9928.jpeg

Photo was taken maybe 30 minutes ago, the tank is now moved and gone! The cabinet of the new tank is half built :)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I woke up to only 3 Dead!! As sad as I am about them, I’m so glad it was only 3.

Unfortunately 2 of those 3 were fish I loved;
The first I saw dead was the Regal Angel, Ikea. This is annoying as she was special to me considering she had a natural misbar and a huge personality. I still have the other 2 angels luckily but this girl is no longer with us.
IMG_9449.jpeg

The second I saw dead was the Tang, this I’m not too annoyed about as I grew out of love with him eventually and did plan to remove him in general. I’m annoyed it came to this scenario of him dying as id rather have rehomed him.
IMG_9673.jpeg

And the 3rd death, the Finifenmaa. This one is another hard one as he was so personable and colourful. I may replace him but I’m still not sure.
5AFCFD4F-CACF-4310-A9D1-BF744AB318DE.jpeg

The cause of deaths I’m unsure about but these were all sat in the same container with the Foxface - now that container only holds him and the Jade. My thought is that in the night he panicked and managed to stab these 3 unintentionally.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In My opinion I'd keep the Kole (sorry he died), I don't think you have enough swim space in new tank for an Achilles, they need at least a 6ft tank, but I'd recommend 7ft. I prefer longer tanks vs taller tanks for tangs due to how much they swim. Achilles get fairly large at 9inches + as adults and they are very active swimmers. A few Tang Species that would adapt well to a 5ft tank are the Kole, Tomini, Skopas, Yellow, Convict, and Mimic. These all stay close to or under 8 inches as adults.

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In My opinion I'd keep the Kole (sorry he died), I don't think you have enough swim space in new tank for an Achilles, they need at least a 6ft tank, but I'd recommend 7ft. I prefer longer tanks vs taller tanks for tangs due to how much they swim. Achilles get fairly large at 9inches + as adults and they are very active swimmers. A few Tang Species that would adapt well to a 5ft tank are the Kole, Tomini, Skopas, Yellow, Convict, and Mimic. These all stay close to or under 8 inches as adults.
Honestly, I probably would only have an Achilles if I went for a tang. I completely see where you’re coming from in the length over height. This tank totals 180 Gallons (700 Litres) but it’s not a 6 foot long 180 and is instead 5 foot by 26 inches by 25 inches.

As I said, if I did go for a tang I’d only have one at a time and not several at once (I don’t know why but after seeing tanks filled with tangs, it isnt something I would love for myself). Convicts are another I love.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back