OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning, all! I figure I'll get you caught up on some goings on while I've been toed up with real life, so here are some quick updates- some good, some bad:

- We continue to get some crazy growth! A lot of the frags are really starting to take off now.
- I dropped an order with Geo's Reef yesterday for a new Kalk reactor. The Icecap served me well, but I've been having issues with the magnetic stir plate. Time for an upgrade.
- A big shipment of Zoas arrives today. 10 varieties in total.
- Two more stony corals arriving on Thursday. After that, only three more acros and we're done stocking SPS.
- Sadly, we lost Freckles to HLLE
- Both fungia have ceased to exist

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, @Mschmidt If you'd like the Icecap Kalk reactor once the Geo's arrives, it's yours. It still works fine- I just keep knocking the plug loose from the base and having some alk swings as a result.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, all! I figure I'll get you caught up on some goings on while I've been toed up with real life, so here are some quick updates- some good, some bad:

- We continue to get some crazy growth! A lot of the frags are really starting to take off now.
- I dropped an order with Geo's Reef yesterday for a new Kalk reactor. The Icecap served me well, but I've been having issues with the magnetic stir plate. Time for an upgrade.
- A big shipment of Zoas arrives today. 10 varieties in total.
- Two more stony corals arriving on Thursday. After that, only three more acros and we're done stocking SPS.
- Sadly, we lost Freckles to HLLE
- Both fungia have ceased to exist
I'm sorry.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, @Mschmidt If you'd like the Icecap Kalk reactor once the Geo's arrives, it's yours. It still works fine- I just keep knocking the plug loose from the base and having some alk swings as a result.
perhaps. I am wondering if lime is better than 2-part.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
perhaps. I am wondering if lime is better than 2-part.
Stop wondering- IT IS. It is the absolute best thing you can use for stable ph and, more importantly, alk. Far more cost effective, too. Your tank will thank me.

Last edited:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do you get the kalk? at present, my alk part costs me $2/month, not sure about the calc as I haven't mixed new in a while.

That said, your results are better than mine, so there is that... It would also free up dosing heads for the new nem tank (if I don't tie it into the reef), or the office tank (if I ever set it up).

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do you get the kalk? at present, my alk part costs me $2/month, not sure about the calc as I haven't mixed new in a while.

That said, your results are better than mine, so there is that... It would also free up dosing heads for the new nem tank (if I don't tie it into the reef), or the office tank (if I ever set it up).
Listening. Also interested in starting kalk.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah...things looking good for the new tank...sold the 300 to a fellow team member..designing the new one..so far it will be 6ftx4ftx30inches with two external overflow boxes glued to the back...maybe 15 inches of weirs for each along back wall (6ft)....

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Don't buy kalk branded for the aquarium trade. Buy bulk food grade or technical grade Calcium Hydroxide. You'll pay less than a dollar a pound. Something like this:

Or this:

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ah...things looking good for the new tank...sold the 300 to a fellow team member..designing the new one..so far it will be 6ftx4ftx30inches with two external overflow boxes glued to the back...maybe 15 inches of weirs for each along back wall (6ft)....
Dude... not even gonna a lie- I resent you just a little bit right now. Hahahaha. That's f'n sweet! Can't wait to see it come together!

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude... not even gonna a lie- I resent you just a little bit right now. Hahahaha. That's f'n sweet! Can't wait to see it come together!
Tangs are bigger and I want them to have more room..Plus gives me opportunity to inject a GEM tang into the mix during the teardown and relocate process. I am doing 6 feet so I can have cabinets on each side. The 300 is 8 feet and only have cabinets on one side. I really want the 4ft depth and true 30 inch inside height..so it maybe 32 inches tall.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tangs are bigger and I want them to have more room..Plus gives me opportunity to inject a GEM tang into the mix during the teardown and relocate process. I am doing 6 feet so I can have cabinets on each side. The 300 is 8 feet and only have cabinets on one side. I really want the 4ft depth and true 30 inch inside height..so it maybe 32 inches tall.
Yeah, that depth allows for some seriously stunning aquascape possibilities. I'm super happy for you, bud. What's your timeline?

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:frowning-face: Sorry to hear about the losses
Thanks. Yeah, he didn't arrive in the best shape and it was up and down for a bit, but he eventually succumbed to it. As for the plates, they weren't big fans on the flow at all.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back