Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested. About how it's been.
IMG_20240212_200242010_HDR.jpg

And made food, but forgot the duckweed. I'll have to make cubes of just that to supplement.
IMG_20240212_183804424_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q (will be a thread tomorrow because I want to win something from the supporter's giveaway):
When I was setting up my tank, I dumped a 10 pound bag of black (reef) sand in the sump. I now want to do something more productive with it.
my options as I see them are these:
1) create a deep sand bed of sorts. I will 3d print a box to hold it (about a 7 inch cube) with holes throughout for flow and move the substrate in. Leave it in the same chamber of the sump where it will get flow as the water moves through the unit.
2) leave it alone, trapped detritus has created anerobic areas and I risk nuking the tank if I disturb it.
3) make the box with solid sides so it gets water moving over the top, but not through. since the chamber is post skimmer, it may be well oxygenated.
4) make it low for the same reason as 3.
5) move it to the return chamber or the display to keep too much oxygenated water from flowing through the bed.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q (will be a thread tomorrow because I want to win something from the supporter's giveaway):
When I was setting up my tank, I dumped a 10 pound bag of black (reef) sand in the sump. I now want to do something more productive with it.
my options as I see them are these:
1) create a deep sand bed of sorts. I will 3d print a box to hold it (about a 7 inch cube) with holes throughout for flow and move the substrate in. Leave it in the same chamber of the sump where it will get flow as the water moves through the unit.
2) leave it alone, trapped detritus has created anerobic areas and I risk nuking the tank if I disturb it.
3) make the box with solid sides so it gets water moving over the top, but not through. since the chamber is post skimmer, it may be well oxygenated.
4) make it low for the same reason as 3.
5) move it to the return chamber or the display to keep too much oxygenated water from flowing through the bed.
I have no clue. I removed all my sump substrate and only have rock.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you like about it?
Just cleaner for me. The culerpa attaches to the rock and the chaeto just hangs out. I think I have enough right and ceramic rings for the bacteria and pods.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed all my sump sand by never putting any in there in the first place....?
well there is always that, next time.
Just cleaner for me. The culerpa attaches to the rock and the chaeto just hangs out. I think I have enough right and ceramic rings for the bacteria and pods.
macros pending. other than bubble algae...
Not worrying about stirring it up. Sump doesn’t look as messy
that may be advantageous.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back