The real max amount of fish in aquarium

Fanreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm in the process of deciding what size of tank to buy. For me, fish are equal important to the tank as corals are, and I would like to have a lot of them.

I wondering what the real max amount of fish in a 4 or 5 feet long tank is. I know the usual answer for this is max inch per 3 - 5 gallons of water..
But looking on tank spotlight I see quite a few tanks that were able to support a lot more than that.

Here are 3 examples of tanks with a lot more fish 1 2 3.

I know having really a lot of fish means up filtration, feeding and better aquascape. I'm ready for that.

So my question is, what is real max amount you have been able to successfuly have and been able to keep your paramotors good and no fighting between them...

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all comes down to fish luck and equipment.
You get fish that aren't aggressive and don't need alot of swimming space. You can have more.

There is alot of factors that go into that.
You get a protien skimmer and you can have a few more fish without levels skyrocketing.

You couldn't stick more than 2 or 3 tangs in a 4ft tank depending on the tang. But you could probobly shove 15 clowns in there.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no real answer, it is always case by case. Depends on hiding spots available, filtration methods, aggressive fish or not, individual personality of each fish, etc..... its an equation that can't have one single answer.

Every time we add a fish to the tank, its a risk, and the more fish, the bigger the risk.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above. In my personal experience and what I've heard/seen for years is that it is highly variable on many factors already mentioned.

The main thing I would consider though is the pros and cons of having a heavy fish system. Which I think is the more valuable conversation to have / think through.

Lots of challenges with having lots of fish, including:

- Higher Costs: purchase costs, feeding, supplements (if you choose to give), medication (if they get sick)

- Increased risk of disease

- Increased risk of aggression

- Makes quarantine much more important to do (not just for the fish but for everything you put into the tank). You will likely need to invest more money, time, patience to have an effective quarantine process in place

- Much higher nutrients going in that will need to be managed appropriately. Nutrients in = nutrients out. This will likely require more testing, more maintenance, and investment of time and money into nutrient export methods (i.e. dosing, macroalgae, algae reactor, GFO, etc.). If they are not managed appropriately and balance isn't achieved, you will likely be plagued by algae/cyano/dinos etc.

Just wanted to share my perspective. I used to run a heavy fish load in my previous tank and experienced this first hand. It is one of the main reasons that I opted to operate a smaller, much simpler, lower fish load, and hardy coral system the second time around. I spend more time enjoying and less time stressing/maintaining and spending.

OP
OP
F

Fanreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above. In my personal experience and what I've heard/seen for years is that it is highly variable on many factors already mentioned.

The main thing I would consider though is the pros and cons of having a heavy fish system. Which I think is the more valuable conversation to have / think through.

Lots of challenges with having lots of fish, including:

- Higher Costs: purchase costs, feeding, supplements (if you choose to give), medication (if they get sick)

- Increased risk of disease

- Increased risk of aggression

- Makes quarantine much more important to do (not just for the fish but for everything you put into the tank). You will likely need to invest more money, time, patience to have an effective quarantine process in place

- Much higher nutrients going in that will need to be managed appropriately. Nutrients in = nutrients out. This will likely require more testing, more maintenance, and investment of time and money into nutrient export methods (i.e. dosing, macroalgae, algae reactor, GFO, etc.). If they are not managed appropriately and balance isn't achieved, you will likely be plagued by algae/cyano/dinos etc.

Just wanted to share my perspective. I used to run a heavy fish load in my previous tank and experienced this first hand. It is one of the main reasons that I opted to operate a smaller, much simpler, lower fish load, and hardy coral system the second time around. I spend more time enjoying and less time stressing/maintaining and spending.
Very clear answer.

If going for a heavy fish system, you should be ready for the added challenges.

What was your max fish you had in the past and in what size tank?

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clear answer.

If going for a heavy fish system, you should be ready for the added challenges.

What was your max fish you had in the past and in what size tank?

• Firefish
  • Royal Gramma
  • Clowns x 2
  • Fairy Wrasse
  • Yellow Coris Wrasse
  • Blue Dartfish
  • Cardinal x 2
  • Hawkfish
In a reefer 170 (35 gallon display and 10 gallon sump).

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the red sea 350 so a 72g 4' tank. I have 19 fish and feed heavy
1 orange shoulder tang
1 hippo tang
1 tomini tang
1 azure damsel
1 green chromi
6 mollys
1 red hawk
1 mel wrasse
1 royal gramma
1 blue dot jawfish
1 watchman goby
2 perc clowns
1 bicolor angel

All docile mostly and occupy different spots in tank. I feed heavy but have algae scrubber and skim heavy. Corals love the extra feeding.

OP
OP
F

Fanreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the red sea 350 so a 72g 4' tank. I have 19 fish and feed heavy
1 orange shoulder tang
1 hippo tang
1 tomini tang
1 azure damsel
1 green chromi
6 mollys
1 red hawk
1 mel wrasse
1 royal gramma
1 blue dot jawfish
1 watchman goby
2 perc clowns
1 bicolor angel

All docile mostly and occupy different spots in tank. I feed heavy but have algae scrubber and skim heavy. Corals love the extra feeding.
Amazing!

How long have they been together?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theybhave been slowly added over a year to all in 2 months ago. Everything going great so far. Forgot one too. I also have another type of watchman goby

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cant recommend mollys enough. They make great reef fish. Eat algae, always out, school up, help other fish feel comfortable cuz when you walk to tank they are smashing face against glass, come in cool colors and best of all are mega cheap

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much higher nutrients going in that will need to be managed appropriately. Nutrients in = nutrients out. This will likely require more testing, more maintenance, and investment of time and money into nutrient export methods (i.e. dosing, macroalgae, algae reactor, GFO, etc.). If they are not managed appropriately and balance isn't achieved, you will likely be plagued by algae/cyano/dinos etc.
Good information shared, but there are many factors that can change the outcomes when it comes to nutrients. My personal experience now running a relatively high fish load in a fast growing tank (minimal algae problems) is that the fish seem to be feeding the corals/nems rather well. Having trouble keeping NO3 up and after a bit of trouble with high PO4, it has steadied at a nice target level. If your system is supportive of the increased nutrients from feeding fish, then the extra fish may not imbalance your nutrients so much as continue feeding hungry corals. In my case, management is minimal--no skimmer, infrequent water changes, carbon use, and monitoring. 40gal with 4 wrasses, 2 clown, a firefish, a goby and a blenny.

On the other hand, a pooping tang could really change the story. So it all depends!

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome Welcome to R2R!
I don't believe there is one right answer here . So many variables.
Sometimes fish behave as everyone says they do, sometimes not, etc and on and on.
All we can do is offer you our personal experiences, show you our tanks and you will have to make your own decisions on what you think you really want to do.
Tons of super smart people on here with successful, groovy tanks so do your research and make great choices.
We're all here for all your questions.
By the way, I am a minimalist fish keeper believing in giving as much space as is possible,never having more than 1 fish per foot of tank.
I only say this to show there are so many variables to this hobby that answering your question is very difficult.
Best of luck in whatever direction you go. Start a build thread so we can keep up with you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the max number of fish is determined by what happens in an emergency, such as a power failure, not what happens in ordinary operation where the numbers may successfully be far higher.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t claim to have the best credentials here but I can agree to all the above.
I can add that Aquarium specimens max sizes are “usually” quite smaller than their wild counterparts… so folks really pack in the fish not being aware of the species actual growth potential
that said I have a 170 that’s packed in also
  • Firefish
  • Royal Gramma
  • Clowns x 2
  • Fairy Wrasse
  • Yellow Coris Wrasse
  • Blue Dartfish
  • Cardinal x 2
  • Hawkfish
In a reefer 170 (35 gallon display and 10 gallon sump).
In mine:
2 Black Saddleback clowns ( which get large!)
5 gold line/ sharknose/neon gobies (assorted)
1 Royal Gramma (accidental introduction)
1 Flameback Angel
1 Red/white goby sumthing

I already know this is too many fish but it’s working … for now

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cant recommend mollys enough. They make great reef fish. Eat algae, always out, school up, help other fish feel comfortable cuz when you walk to tank they are smashing face against glass, come in cool colors and best of all are mega cheap
Your tank is my goal...wow.

OP
OP
F

Fanreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who has a heavy fish stocked tank, please come in with your setup and experience.

Thank you.

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
240 gallon. 3+ months old. 70+ fish. Took me a while to remember but here’s most of them.

2 blue throat triggers
2 blue tangs
Whitetail tang
Yellow tang
Gem tang
One spot Foxface
Brazilian stripy
6 lyretail anthias
6 disbar anthias
2 coris wrasse
Leopard wrass
8 line wrasse
2 carpenter wrasse
Possum wrass
2 melanurus wrasse
3 dragonetts
2 clowns
2 citron gobies
2 dart fish
3 bandit chromis
Midas Blenny
Swiss guard basslet
2 yellow watchmen
2 dragon gobys
1 Bella goby
Swallowtail angel
Dwarf angel
2 hawkfish
Numerous other small blennies and gobies
Stary blenny
Aptasia filefish
Probably a few more. I’d have to look to find the others. Everyone is happy as I chose peaceful fish and most were put in together.

10+ cubes a day. It’s easier to weigh frozen now. 3g a cube
2 sheets of nori
Masstick on glass
Plank feeder 4x a day 1minute feeding pellets
2 algae waffles? Those sinking discs

Large bashsea sump
Bashsea bio reactor 8 24
Bashsea skimmer 8 24
Oversized uv 110watt linked to return
Abyzz return about 1000gph
Deltec large filter roller
Avast marine ozone
Algae scrubber
50 gallon frag tank attached to system

So about 280 net gallons

Current nutrients
No3 16
Po4 .07

Tweaking nutrients with gfo reactor and nopox. Trying to get around .1 and 10.

Needless to say, yes it’s way overstocked. So yes it’s possible. I automate most things, including 5gal daily water changes. House has generator so won’t ever lose power. And controlled mostly by apex, Reeffactory as a backup.

I wouldn’t recommend going this extreme, but with my equipment it’s easy. No more maintenance than my last tank a quarter of the size. If anything it’s easier as I added daily water change.

Reef moonshiners program all the way

Mostly Marco rock but I did add sand and rubble for Tampa bay to add the correct bacteria.

No algae in dt. Tank is going smoothly. Mostly lps and easy sps right now. 20+ Acro frags coming in 2 weeks as it’s ready.

It’s late so lights are off. And I’m on iPad which I dont take pics on, but here’s the only pic I have on this device taken when first set up.

IMG_0072.jpeg

Last edited:

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
240 gallon. 3+ months old. 70+ fish. It would take me a while to remember all of them, but largest ones I can think of, which aren’t even full grown are

2 blue throat triggers
2 blue tangs
Whitetail tang
Yellow tang
Gem tang
Brazilian stripy
12 smaller anthias
2 coris wrasse
Leopard wrass
3 mandarins
2 clowns
2 yellow watchmen
2 dragon gobys
1 Bella goby
Swallowtail angel
Dwarf angel
Numerous blennies
Numerous other small gobies
Stary blenny
Aptasia filefish
Probably a few more. I’d have to look to find the others. Everyone is happy as I chose peaceful fish and most were put in together.

10+ cubes a day
2 sheets of nori
Masstick on glass
Plank feeder 4x a day 1minute feeding pellets
2 algae waffles? Those sinking discs

Large bashsea sump
Bashsea bio reactor 8 24
Bashsea skimmer 8 24
Oversized uv 110watt linked to return
Abyzz return about 1000gph
Deltec large filter roller
Avast marine ozone
Algae scrubber
50 gallon frag tank attached to system

So about 280 net gallons

Current nutrients
No3 16
Po4 .07

Tweaking nutrients with gfo reactor and nopox. Trying to get around .1 and 10.

Needless to say, yes it’s way overstocked. So yes it’s possible. I automate most things, including 5gal daily water changes. House has generator so won’t ever lose power. And controlled mostly by apex, Reeffactory as a backup.

I wouldn’t recommend going this extreme, but with my equipment it’s easy. No more maintenance than my last tank a quarter of the size. If anything it’s easier as I added daily water change.

Reef moonshiners program all the way

Mostly Marco rock but I did add sand and rubble for Tampa bay to add the correct bacteria.

No algae in dt. Tank is going smoothly. Mostly lps and easy sps right now. 20+ Acro frags coming in 2 weeks as it’s ready.

It’s late so lights are off. And I’m on iPad which I dont take pics on, but here’s the only pic I have on this device taken when first set up.

IMG_0072.jpeg
Alright found a video from a month ago. Tank was still cloudy back then.

And a few pics below when still setting up

20230923_195213.jpg

20230910_123603.jpg

20230910_123614.jpg

PXL_20231206_033113474.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back