OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all are you adding ?
A little of everything ;) but honestly, when I was working out my stocking list, I realized I wanted all inhabitants to have a purpose. A job to do. So that thought process went into my list. You have to follow along though to find out specifics :)

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little of everything ;) but honestly, when I was working out my stocking list, I realized I wanted all inhabitants to have a purpose. A job to do. So that thought process went into my list. You have to follow along though to find out specifics :)
Haha alright, definitely will be following

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys! On Facebook, I usually post a topic of the day to get people talking about the hobby. I'm going to start posting that here as well since I really love hearing everyone's opinions. Here's the one from today! Let's get this thread going.
IMG_0795.JPG

Let's talk detritus - a nice word for fish poop and decaying matter in our reef tanks . How do you keep detritus in check? Do you blow off your rocks? If so, how much? How do you keep it in check in your sump? Do you vacuum your sump regularly? Or do you just let it decay and eventually broken down by the nitrogen cycle? Let's discuss.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, not a ton of buildup in my sump ... it's relatively new, and there's probably 2500 gph running through a 40-B, so there's plenty of water movement through most of it.

There're also a couple of Gyres pushing water around upstairs, so detritus doesn't get a ton of opportunity to settle - and if it does, there are snails, hermits, bristleworms and things to help get it moving through the system again.

~Bruce

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, not a ton of buildup in my sump ... it's relatively new, and there's probably 2500 gph running through a 40-B, so there's plenty of water movement through most of it.

There're also a couple of Gyres pushing water around upstairs, so detritus doesn't get a ton of opportunity to settle - and if it does, there are snails, hermits, bristleworms and things to help get it moving through the system again.

~Bruce
Sounds like you've got some serious flow going on in there!! And a clean up crew is so important

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really excited about some art I have coming for my Phoenix fish den. It's UV-reactive so it will glow in the light spill from the DT. Here's one of the paintings coming my way that @ReefWeeds did for me. It's the second painting in the Reef Koi series. I can't wait to get it hung up on the wall.
IMG_0513.JPG

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's topic for discussion!!!! Let's get this going!

We all know a Clean Up Crew is important, but I want to know what your favorite members are - you know, the ones you absolutely can't live without. Emerald crabs? Trochus snails? Hermits? Mexican turbos? And if you love them, why? Let's post up our answers so we all can learn from each other.

I love Mexican Turbos - they do such a good job mowing down algae. I can't imagine a build without some.

IMG_0914.JPG

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 112 43.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 123 47.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back