The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very unfortunate that some vocal prominent wrasse keeper promote keeping wrasse singly. I don't have problem with keeping most wrasses in harem or pairs. As long as you keep the male (all of them) well fed, the male will have enough energy to suppress development of the rest of the harem.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very unfortunate that some vocal prominent wrasse keeper promote keeping wrasse singly. I don't have problem with keeping most wrasses in harem or pairs. As long as you keep the male (all of them) well fed, the male will have enough energy to suppress development of the rest of the harem.
The problem being, most people don't have the tank size to keep multiples of the same species.
If a tank is large enough, I have no problem suggesting they keep multiples of the same species.

Take for instance yesterday morning, the guy with the large tank, and he liked leopards. I talked him into keeping several leopards once I found out he liked the family.

For myself, one "spotted" leopard is fine, but only because I want to keep others in the family. And I'm not looking to keep several of the same species.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purely curious as to what you would consider a reasonable tank?
Appropriate for the species. 75 gal plus for Meleagris with reasonable deep fine sand, appropriate tank mates. What is appropriate for one species may not be appropriate for another species.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem being, most people don't have the tank size to keep multiples of the same species.
If a tank is large enough, I have no problem suggesting they keep multiples of the same species.

Take for instance yesterday morning, the guy with the large tank, and he liked leopards. I talked him into keeping several leopards once I found out he liked the family.

For myself, one "spotted" leopard is fine, but only because I want to keep others in the family. And I'm not looking to keep several of the same species.
To each his or her own. But just because one does not like to keep breeding units of fish in a tank does not mean that it cannot or should not be done.
I had multiple messages on how I should not write certain thing because the “average reef-keepers” should not attempt to do it.
Some of these so call experts are so full of it.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each his or her own. But just because one does not like to keep breeding units of fish in a tank does not mean that it cannot or should not be done.
I had multiple messages on how I should not write certain thing because the “average reef-keepers” should not attempt to do it.
Some of these so call experts are so full of it.
I would surly hope it's none of the "experts" in this thread? if so they should be outed as that is not how an "expert" should be giving out, or suppressing information.

I for one have followed a few of your threads, specially the one on how to keep multiple dwarf angels together, and have done it since, thanks to your thread.

While you are certainly an outlier in the hobby(wanting to keep multiples of the same species), everyone's experience is and should be welcomed here. There really is no one correct way to reef.

Heck most people here can't agree on how to cycle a tank, the most basic thing in this hobby.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to say no one currently active on this thread. I feel the same way on the truth of informations. It should not be censored to promote certain view like the news these days.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Tamarin wrasses but it is hard to get these in Corpus Christi. I often think that Corpus Christi is the armpit of the reefing world. We never get anything nice here. If there is anything nice get to the LFS here it got here by mistakes. It is a huge statement when Petco is the best reef store in a city.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my issue currently is I think the tank with my YTT is overstocked. I would love to have a group and I know they almost never transition in captivity. So either I don’t have to worry about two males and aggression or I’ll be basically the first person to have a male YTT. And male YTTs are incredible!

1710938444987.jpeg

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my issue currently is I think the tank with my YTT is overstocked. I would love to have a group and I know they almost never transition in captivity. So either I don’t have to worry about two males and aggression or I’ll be basically the first person to have a male YTT. And male YTTs are incredible!

1710938444987.jpeg
Guess I've never seen a male. Stunning fish!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you if we have a large tank and a harem, we can get the dominant transform to a male.
I would guess that if you have just one, you can put a permanent large mirror on one of the side and this would get her transformed into a male.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you if we have a large tank and a harem, we can get the dominant transform to a male.
I would guess that if you have just one, you can put a permanent large mirror on one of the side and this would get her transformed into a male.
You'd think but I haven't even seen a male at the aquarium and they have a good group in their coral wall. I think this is a species that only transitions late in life. Still would like to try though.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 30 some odd years I have been in the hobby, I have never seen a male. For sale or otherwise.

I do have one LFS I visit once or twice a year that does have a harem of female YTT(think there is about 5 in there). In the last 10 years I have been going in there, none of theirs have transitioned.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd think but I haven't even seen a male at the aquarium and they have a good group in their coral wall. I think this is a species that only transitions late in life. Still would like to try though.
Health and appropriate stimulation.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 30 some odd years I have been in the hobby, I have never seen a male. For sale or otherwise.

I do have one LFS I visit once or twice a year that does have a harem of female YTT(think there is about 5 in there). In the last 10 years I have been going in there, none of theirs have transitioned.
Are they fat fish like they should be in the wild? So many, most, LFS and public aquariums underfed their fishes. Nice clean algae free tanks but bad for fishes.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are super healthy. Being they have been in the tank for close to 10 years(I'm assuming they are all the same fish? This is an LFS, so I suppose if one died, they could slip in another and no one would know?) I'm assuming they are all healthy. They are certainly "thick" fish.

It's an LFS display that they feed anytime anyone asks. SO I would assume they get fed multiple times a day.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to tooth my own horns but so far I have never fail to have my wrasses fail to develops to male (the ones that I keep more than one) and never have female female turn male in the present of another male.
Other than a female Royal gramma turn male and kill the established male when he got old, after 5 years or so.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to tooth my own horns but so far I have never fail to have my wrasses fail to develops to male (the ones that I keep more than one) and never have female female turn male in the present of another male.
Other than a female Royal gramma turn male and kill the established male when he got old, after 5 years or so.
You should toot your horn. About clams and mangroves too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back