The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so disappointed, it looks like the juvenile meleagris is on it's way out. It was doing so well earlier this week and yesterday, but now it's just lying there, not eating, and it's not able to bury itself properly.
I think it just didn't acclimate well to captivity, I've seen this so many times at the LFS I work at, and it's happened a couple times before in my tanks.
Always quite upsetting when a seemingly healthy fish up and dies out of nowhere.

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so disappointed, it looks like the juvenile meleagris is on it's way out. It was doing so well earlier this week and yesterday, but now it's just lying there, not eating, and it's not able to bury itself properly.
I think it just didn't acclimate well to captivity, I've seen this so many times at the LFS I work at, and it's happened a couple times before in my tanks.
Always quite upsetting when a seemingly healthy fish up and dies out of nowhere.
Update on this.
It keeps coming out of the sand, but only halfway, and it's breathing very rapidly. I don't suspect any disease, as there's no signs of anything as far as I can see.
At this point it's just lying there dying, so would it be best/kindest to just euthanize it? I hate doing that, but it's just suffering now.

From your experiences, is this something that would rectify itself, or as I suspect a goner?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally just let nature take it course. I euthanized a blinded Mandarin once with freezing. She got her eyes pecked out by my Sixline wrasse pair and just slowly starving.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this.
It keeps coming out of the sand, but only halfway, and it's breathing very rapidly. I don't suspect any disease, as there's no signs of anything as far as I can see.
At this point it's just lying there dying, so would it be best/kindest to just euthanize it? I hate doing that, but it's just suffering now.

From your experiences, is this something that would rectify itself, or as I suspect a goner?
I'm so sorry, the exact same thing happened with my China wrasse, it's hard to watch a fish dying like this

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just saying...

There's a lot of REALLY great photographers and photos on this thread... Make a collage and enter! Spam that POTM.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little buddy got in a scrap with someone or nicked himself pretty good on a rock.

Normally don’t get too concerned about little scrapes, but quite a few missing scales on his head. Not sure if I should catch him and do something, or just let him be. He’s still out on body guard duty, so nothing abnormal so far…

IMG_3053.jpeg

IMG_3055.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little buddy got in a scrap with someone or nicked himself pretty good on a rock.

Normally don’t get too concerned about little scrapes, but quite a few missing scales on his head. Not sure if I should catch him and do something, or just let him be. He’s still out on body guard duty, so nothing abnormal so far…

IMG_3053.jpeg

IMG_3055.jpeg
I'd just let him be and keep an eye on it. Scrapes usually heal without issue in healthy fish.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying...

There's a lot of REALLY great photographers and photos on this thread... Make a collage and enter! Spam that POTM.
And I’ll keep cheating until I win!!!
IMG_0753.jpeg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good and bad today. Had to get live brine today since mine isn't big enough yet, so ran to one of my further away LFS after work. Picked up a beautiful female katoi fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus katoi) and a really nice bluestreak cleaner wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus).

Came home and found the yellowfin flasher wrasse dead, being carried by the orange skunk clown in with it back to the PVC pipe in the tank... I finally broke down and pulled the clownfish, it's now living in the 75 gallon refugium of my 240 gallon with the Neogonodactylus wennerae mantis shrimp. If it lives it lives, if it dies it dies. I kept having fish either show up dead, beat up, or hiding, and the only fish untouched was the clown, but it always darted into the rock pile and I couldn't get it out without tearing the whole tank apart, which is difficult on the bottom shelf of a metal rack. Today it darted into the PVC pipe elbow and I was able to net the whole piece of pipe with the clown inside. So good news is, all the aggression should finally subside. This clownfish is the meanest I have ever kept by far, he was completely fine until his mate died in a velvet outbreak, then he doubled in size, turned female, and became worse than a maroon clown. The 2" skunk clownfish would even drive off the much larger bicinctus clown pair, the 4" lemonpeel angel, and the dottyback. Only fish it didn't care about was the black molly

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good and bad today. Had to get live brine today since mine isn't big enough yet, so ran to one of my further away LFS after work. Picked up a beautiful female katoi fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus katoi) and a really nice bluestreak cleaner wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus).

Came home and found the yellowfin flasher wrasse dead, being carried by the orange skunk clown in with it back to the PVC pipe in the tank... I finally broke down and pulled the clownfish, it's now living in the 75 gallon refugium of my 240 gallon with the Neogonodactylus wennerae mantis shrimp. If it lives it lives, if it dies it dies. I kept having fish either show up dead, beat up, or hiding, and the only fish untouched was the clown, but it always darted into the rock pile and I couldn't get it out without tearing the whole tank apart, which is difficult on the bottom shelf of a metal rack. Today it darted into the PVC pipe elbow and I was able to net the whole piece of pipe with the clown inside. So good news is, all the aggression should finally subside. This clownfish is the meanest I have ever kept by far, he was completely fine until his mate died in a velvet outbreak, then he doubled in size, turned female, and became worse than a maroon clown. The 2" skunk clownfish would even drive off the much larger bicinctus clown pair, the 4" lemonpeel angel, and the dottyback. Only fish it didn't care about was the black molly
Sorry about the flasher, but good job moving the clown and grats on the katoi! I've never seen one. Pics, please!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the flasher, but good job moving the clown and grats on the katoi! I've never seen one. Pics, please!
A few pics of the katoi and 1 of the cleaner. Out and about, already eating in the quarantine this morning!

20240323_103844.jpg
20240323_103856.jpg
20240323_103852.jpg
20240323_103835.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back