The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the early stages of my first build and was already thinking about a wrasse to add to my stock list. This thread is making me reconsider...now I want so many more!

i did too, until the one wrasse that surived LiveAquria shipment ended up being a total #!$@
Now im scared to add even a pintail or any fairy wrasse for that matter.

But i had a lubbok which was suposed to arrive with this red longfin, and well, the lubbok came DOA, and the red longfin thinks its a male anthias and wont leave them alone.

And it just my Lyres anthais. My Lyres already fight enough amungst each other, and now they got a wrassee that goes postal every now and then on them.

But he completely ignores the Carriberry's and everything else in that tank for that matter.

JdubC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did too, until the one wrasse that surived LiveAquria shipment ended up being a total #!$@
Now im scared to add even a pintail or any fairy wrasse for that matter.

But i had a lubbok which was suposed to arrive with this red longfin, and well, the lubbok came DOA, and the red longfin thinks its a male anthias and wont leave them alone.

And it just my Lyres anthais. My Lyres already fight enough amungst each other, and now they got a wrassee that goes postal every now and then on them.

But he completely ignores the Carriberry's and everything else in that tank for that matter.
Appreciate this. Good reminder to take things slow and give thought to what makes the most sense for the larger plan.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ToastPuppy in all seriousness that sixline will be a terror in your tank and attack or kill more mild mannered wrasses which is really all of the common ones we keep. Some people claim sixlines to be model citizens but that view is not kept by most.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6 line was the wrasse that made me originally give up on wrasses.
I think now its gonna be the red longfin fairy that will do it for me this time around.

Its probably close to impossible for me to catch it, unless i can use a fish trap somehow.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful Satan Spawned if you ask me. I will never ever in 1 million year put one of these hell on wheel in my tank.
IMG_3797.png

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys with the C. rubeus horror stories are making me think twice about my #1 fairy pick. Might swap out the rubeus for an exquisite.

If i had a choice... id definitely not get it again...
The moment i see any of my Anthias with battered side, im gonna tear my tank down and fish it out if i have to.

As i said lucky for me, the Anthias know the Orchid has its back, although my Orchid also seems to be getting annoyed at all these Anthias coming over to it from time to time now.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i had a choice... id definitely not get it again...
The moment i see any of my Anthias with battered side, im gonna tear my tank down and fish it out if i have to.

As i said lucky for me, the Anthias know the Orchid has its back, although my Orchid also seems to be getting annoyed at all these Anthias coming over to it from time to time now.
He's the hero he never wanted to be.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I go about that? It's in a 200 gallon tank.

you could try a trap... although wrasses are pretty smart for that.

Maybe starve the tank for a day, and then use a bait box trap, and hope your other fish don't get inside.

Or you can be like me, and get ready to rip the tank appart if it needs be. Most of my rockwork is cemented this time around in planning if i ever had to take out stuff to catch rogue fish.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I go about that? It's in a 200 gallon tank.
Fish trap works. I’ve been able to catch many wrasses that way. I use a trap with a heavy drop glass door triggered by a long fishing line so I can be out of site. Feed the fish via the trap for a week without doing anything.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hogfish being weird this morning. Was acting very interested in the melanurus. Maybe just wanted to do some cleaning. I have seen it clean my braver fish.

That is a cool fish. I read somewhere that they kinda ween off of eating parasites as they grow. Maybe he just needs a little nibble to hold him over.

Really interesting to see how “peaceful” it is being compared to some cleaner wrasse I’ve had over the years that would harass others while trying to clean them to the point of causing injury and stress.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a cool fish. I read somewhere that they kinda ween off of eating parasites as they grow. Maybe he just needs a little nibble to hold him over.

Really interesting to see how “peaceful” it is being compared to some cleaner wrasse I’ve had over the years that would harass others while trying to clean them to the point of causing injury and stress.
Wish I had a better video. As always I only caught the very end. Usually it just slowly cruises the top of the tank and has little to no interaction unless another fish goes to it.

But yes so far no aggression or pestering with the exception of this morning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back